Blue Mountains this weekend

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Blue Mountains this weekend

Postby Dettie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:16 pm

I'm heading away this weekend for Saturday and Sunday nights... this time just with my son and one of his school friends. I'm thinking Megalong Valley or there abouts... any suggestions? I just want to be near a creek :)

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Re: Blue Mountains this weekend

Postby Redback » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:48 am

Have you tried Burralow Creek at Kurrajong, has a long drop only though, nice open flat camping area near a creek and a short walk along the creek are glow worms at night.
Not the Blue Mountains, but it's the mountains :grin:
This will give you an idea of the camp ground, you'll need an AWD/4WD to get in though, or there is Wheeny Creek it's 2WD IN, don't have photos of though.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby andyp » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:23 am

What about Newnes? About 50km from Lithgow via Lidsdale on the Castlereagh Highway to Mudgee. Large open camping area with a couple of long drops. A couple of other areas as well and more across the river (4WD AWD required for crossing).

I was there for the first time last weekend and it was beautiful. There is the Glow Worm Tunnel walk (8km return, first 1km hard going then easy, torch required for the tunnel) and the walk around the old works.

More info at:

http://users.tpg.com.au/newnes/g/camps.htm
andyp

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:42 pm

They had a stall at the Sydney Supershow Dettie with heaps of info in it. The lady was wearing a red devil suit (not sure why tho????).

It was all in a little brown paper bag and also included Newnes, Lake Lyell at Lithgow, Jenolan Caves, Oberon and all the mountain towns.

We also called into Lake Lyell near Lithgow on the way home from Sydney for a look and to sus out the camping and it was lovely. Bush camping with fireplaces and also on the upper terraces they had powered sites but no fires allowed up there. It has coin showers in the toilet blocks and they are clean. It is a little walk down to the water but the view from the campsite is lovely. We will probably wait till it warms up to go there but we will definately go and camp there next year. Very clean and tidy park. What we liked about it was we could take the boat and even better still sit and do nothing while the kids amuse themselves.

Also Abercrombie Caves is a great spot with a little stream and heaps for the boys to do and but it's about 260kms from you so maybe that might be too far. But just a thought.

Took some photos on my phone whil we were at Lake Lyell and when I work out how to get them out of the phone I will post them.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:51 pm

WOW that was easier than I thought it was going to be uploading the photos from my phone!!! :+

I took these on the way home from Sydney this weekend and thought I would post for all to see!!! ::)

The campsite is at Lake Lyell and is one of many scattered around the park but we thought was the pick of the unpowered sites due to it's location(short walk up the hill behind campsite to amenities block(2 loos & 2 coin showers) and to back up the track (100m) was the boat ramp and not to mention the great view and only a short stroll down to the water. Only downside was that at the moment they have a Red Alert for Blue/Green Algae and you can't swim but you can still fish and boat tho.

Very tidy park and clean sites. Looks like it has a road going through the site but it is just where people have driven to have a look as the road goes no further. We thought it would be a very relaxing place to visit.

The camping site we liked.

The great view!!!!!
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Serenity Now » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:35 pm

I can vouch for Newnes.
We were there for 5 nights last week and it was truely beautiful.
We had such a great time.
Report to follow i hope,just to get work out the way :(
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Postby Redback » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:24 pm

I'll recommend Newnes as well, it is a great spot, Lake Lyall as well.

Here's a couple of Newnes

Baz.
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:04 am

WOW Redback it's really beautiful up there.

How long does it take to get there from Lithgow? And was the track like to get up there?
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Dettie » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:09 pm

Wow... Newnes it is! Thanks so much guys! I actually just called NP this arvo and a few other sites were booked out but Newnes should be fine and it's one where you can just rock up. Those piccies are ~beautiful~ Thanks again! :)

Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby andyp » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:35 am

xmasbaby67 - not to long maybe 45 minutes or so. The road in to the main camping area is a good dirt 2wd, quite a few corrugated sections but just adjust your speed to suit. There is more camping across the river. This is a shallow but sandy crossing that is signposted 4WD only. There were Subarus etc and even a VW Transporter van that had negotiated it last weekend.

Dettie, hope you have a great time. Last weekend was my first time there and I can't wait to go back :grin:
andyp

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:03 am

Thanks andyp !!!

Which is the better campsite, main campground or over the creek?

Where were your photos taken Baz, main campground?

It looks absolutely stunning but would be bloody freezing at night!!!! :cheers

It's only about 3 hours from us so it is a definate on the to do list in the next 12mnths when the weather warms up. ::)
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby andyp » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:46 pm

There are two "main" campsites, one on either side of the river. Both are equally good in my opinion, it more depends if you drop lucky with the "neighbours" rather than the location.

The larger of the two is 2WD accessible and has a couple of long drop toilets. There is also a long drop at the main site on either side of the river. There are also numerous smaller areas on both sides without any facilities.

I am guessing that the photos are from the main area across the river, but could be wrong.
andyp

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:34 pm

Thanks again Andy. :+

So how was it Dettie???? :armsup
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Redback » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:48 am

xmasbaby67 wrote:Thanks again Andy. :+

So how was it Dettie???? :armsup

Sorry XB, missed it, Andy sumed it up though, you can also camp at the Pubs campsite as well, it's the first one on the right as you enter, it's around $10 a night and allows dogs, I think he can supply you with wood as well.

Baz.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Dettie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:49 pm

XB, it was really awesome and as good as what the photos look. I took some pics but haven't had time to upload them.

We left our eggs in Sydney so had to drive back to Lithgow... a solid hour drive... what a PITA. We camped on the side of the creek closer to the pub (which doesn't sell alcohol btw) right next to the creek. We took our own firewood. The scenery is absolutely stunning and there are some glow worm caves a 4k walk from near the camping area.

I'll definitely be back but not for a 2 nights stay... it took 3 hours from my place in Sydney, so more of a 3 nighter :)

I'll find some time tonight or tomorrow to upload some piccies.

Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat