Camping with bikes

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Camping with bikes

Postby Dettie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:22 pm

On my 2 week Easter trip I made the grave mistake of not packing the bikes onto the roof of the car... we ended up getting quite bored several times so will always take out mountain bikes with us from now on. Being able to go exploring on a bike is so much better than walking for me. A hassle, but worth it! :)

And that's all I have to say about that! ;)

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Re: Camping with bikes

Postby dea » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:41 pm

we always take the bikes.. we wanna get bikes for hubby & i too... kidds bikes are first off & last on !!!!
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:54 am

It's a must, especially with kids. One memory I have was my brother trying to get me into trouble because I rode into the water chest deep. My excuse, I was giving it a wash. :lol:

Last year I bought a cheap bike and went to thredbow down the proffessional downhill mountain bike course. Considering that the other riders had $1500+ bikes, It was very intense to say the least, It broke my bike on the second obsticle, and on several occasions nearly myself. :lol:
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby Lin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:35 am

I really want to find a solution so I can take our bikes. I like bush walking, but if it's any other kind of track, I really do prefer the bike. And my 5yo loves riding hers.

Unfortunately I don't have a towbar, I already have suitcase on the roof when we go camping and wouldn't be strong enough to lift a bike that high anyway. I think I might have to invest in a towbar soon after all.

Though I have thought about getting one of those folding bikes for me!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:17 am

Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby sienna » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:44 am

You should prob check that it will actually fit cos those things won't fit over the back of some vehicles. My cousin has corolla seca and it doesn't fit on her car because of the angle of the rear window.
I bought a bike carrier to fit on my tow ball and enables me to tow a trailer as well. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to use it yet because my son's bike's mounting bar is too fat to fit. So I have to buy an extra add on mounting bar, that is often used for girls bikes, to see if I can get it to fit that way. If that doesn't work you will be hearing me scream through the computer! :-bang
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:24 am

you should have no problem with those cross bars. I have used them on a bike carrier before. Just put a piece of cloth under the mounting points to prevent scratching.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby Lin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:35 am

I bought a bike rack a while back and haven't used it because it doesn't seem safe. Especially as it rests on the rear bumper and completely squashes it as it is so flimsy!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby snake_dr » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:41 pm

We have a hayman reese connection on the back of our camper trailer, so this will be the first time we fit up a bike rack and take our little girls bike and another bike to ride around with her on. Nice and easy :-)
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Return to General Chit-Chat