Woolworths & Visa Debit Cards

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Woolworths & Visa Debit Cards

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:29 pm

Can you believe Woolworths have removed the 'Credit' option for purchases made via a Visa Debit Card. This will mean you have to select either the Cheque or Savings option and most likely incur a transaction fee from your financial institution...

At this point not all stores are affected but the move is to make it Australia wide eventually.

So far Credit cards are unaffected and why only a Debit card as they both attract a merchant fee.

Looks and feels pretty nasty to me.

I wonder who will be the next??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: Woolworths & Visa Debit Cards

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:40 pm

Because with the credit option Gypsy you are using the bank's money and the other way you are accessing your money straight away.

We have an eftpos machine here at work with both credit and chq/savings options and it costs us about $90 a regular month and more in a busy month and that includes rental for both options plus a fee on each transaction done. Soooo the banks get a fee from us for using the machine then a fee from the card customer to use it also. Taking with both hands the greedy so n so's :$

Wish the govt would do something about the exessive fees banks charge & the huge money the CEO's get. It's getting ridiculous... :evil: *steps off soapbox*
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:57 pm

This is a Woolies decision, not the banks & there is still the regular Credit option, just not the Debit option.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby dea » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:01 pm

i did read that this morning when at woolies.. dont bother me as i never use credit.. dont have credit cards
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:24 pm

dea wrote:i did read that this morning when at woolies.. dont bother me as i never use credit.. dont have credit cards

Neither do I dea and that is the problem....it is only Debit cards which debit from your own money and the only way to now use the system without incurring any transaction fees is to get a Credit card and most of these have an annual fee.

I do't carry cash so therein lies the problem. I wonder how many people this does impact on.
One normally uses a Debit card in order to reduce transaction fees/
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:33 pm

I don't get charged a fee to eftpos at woolies and I use my Mastercard that is linked to my cheque and savings account. I always use the chq/sav option.

Maybe Visa Debit cards are different. Also it could depend on the bank too. Not too familiar with Visa debit cards and how they work. Does it automatically come out of your account that day or does it credit the balance of your visa at the end of month from another account eg Home Loan/savings acct?
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:47 pm

Also Gypsy I have a credit card that has no annual fee and it's a Westpac Ignite and int rate 12.99% used to be Virgin. If that helps
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:09 pm

The Debit card comes out of your own money on the day XB but still functions like a Credit card persay.

Debit cards save on transaction fees....it is free to use, unlimited number of transactions when used as a Credit card.

I chose NOT to get a Credit card and I don't want to get one now just because WW want to change their policy for what ever reason.

The interesting thing is that there is a merchant fee on the use of standard credit cards as well....so don't know why this new policy has been introduced. Maybe it is a ploy to get more people to use the WW card system.

I imagine there will be a lot of people in the same situation as me. Most people I know have and use a Debit Card.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby hoadie72 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:11 pm

What are benefits of the WW Visa Debit card over your Bank's Visa Debit card?
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby Rosco532 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:23 pm

What is this 'dept card' thing....how does it differ from using an eftpos card where the money comes straight out....I think it costs me $5- month....unlimited transactions
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby CampGrrlz » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:11 am

Going to be interesting next time we go to get money from the Woolies service counter. I'm a tad confused on what Woolies has done exactly. We've been waltzing up and withdrawing our cash without any hindrance. One day they are going to put a stop to it and maybe that time has arrived - there's little if anything in it for Woolies.

We use 'Visa Debit' cards. Ours work exactly the same way as a credit card for online/overseas/physical transactions except that the money comes out of the account straight away. It's a 'credit card' for the purpose of the transaction but a 'debit card' if you want to get money out. Confused? Yes, so was I when someone presented me with one when I worked behind a retail counter 15 years ago. They've been around at least that long.

We do not pay card fees but we do not get any free days, either. It took some mental adjustment to remember how much was available for spending when we switched from a straight credit card to the debit/credit card. It works out fine for us and forms a barrier to spending first and thinking about it later.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Lin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:40 am

I never used my Visa debit card as a credit card at supermarkets... Always choose EFTPOS. Never even thought about the difference in fees. My bank is rather shocking with their fees for everyday transactions though. Been meaning to change for ages, but it's such a hassle to change account details.

I have never owned a credit card either. I'm one of those rare people who figure that if you don't have the money to pay for it, you shouldn't be buying it. Only once had a debt in my life: an astronomical dentist bill, which I paid off in weekly installments.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Redback » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:42 am

Hi Gipsy, it stinks, we have a debit card also and we chose it for the same reason you did, WW are just trying to get more money, just hope Coles don't do the same as we have Bi/Lo here.

An Australian company too, Bloody money grabbing varmints :twisted: :twisted:

For those not knowing what a debit card is/does;

A debit card works like a credit card, but instead of accessing the banks money, it accesses your own money from your savings account and incures transaction no fees.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:17 pm

hoadie72 wrote:What are benefits of the WW Visa Debit card over your Bank's Visa Debit card?

Don't know, I don't have one hoadie. I am not even sure the WW one is a Debit card. I would imagine it has limited use, only WW related outlets....but that is purely a guess on my part. I get my wages paid into my current card.

When the servo adopts this policy is when it will really hurt me as my fuel bill is always in excess of $100
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:18 pm

Rosco532 wrote:What is this 'dept card' thing....how does it differ from using an eftpos card where the money comes straight out....I think it costs me $5- month....unlimited transactions

No fees at all with a DEBIT card Rosco....unlimited transactions when used as a credit card.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat