Kids, Drunks and just Gooses at open Fires.

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Kids, Drunks and just Gooses at open Fires.

Postby Titch » Mon May 03, 2010 8:58 pm

Heads up!
When Camping with any of the Above, get and locate on your site an adult size Fire Blanket.
Learn how to use it.
May save your loved ones.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Kids, Drunks and just Gooses at open Fires.

Postby Lin » Mon May 03, 2010 9:27 pm

That's a good tip indeed. I've had all 3 of those categories around my campfire at some stage! Fortunately never all at the same time!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Redback » Mon May 03, 2010 9:28 pm

titch wrote:Heads up!
When Camping with any of the Above, get and locate on your site an adult size Fire Blanket.
Learn how to use it.
May save your loved ones.
Titch

Our large campfires have very strict rules where kids are involved, no poking stick into the fire and waving it about, kids are usually in bed by the time a lot of alcohol is involved (responsibility of the parent) we don't tolerated dickhead behavour either.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Tue May 04, 2010 8:15 am

Redback wrote: kids are usually in bed by the time a lot of alcohol is involved (responsibility of the parent) we don't tolerate dickhead behavour either.

Baz.

NOW............their is a man after my own heart. Good on you Baz.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:02 pm

We have the same rules as you Baz and any kids mucking around poking sticks in the fire get a quick size 12 up the rear!!!!

Used to camp with a family whose 7 year old son would do this repeatedly with the fire and parents did NOTHING and needless to say we don't camp with them any longer.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed May 05, 2010 4:22 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:Used to camp with a family whose 7 year old son would do this repeatedly with the fire and parents did NOTHING

I had a family who used to camp with the small group I organised at time and parents behaved in the same manner....it ended up being their young son who walked into the ashes from an old campfire (whilst on a day trip, fortunately not with me) and the result was very badly burned feet.....but they still would not be told.

Whilst playing with the fire on one occasion he threw a stick into the air and ended up burning a hole in one of the others tarps over their camp. Did the parents offer to pay for the repair.....No.

Like you, I ended up not including them in my camps anymore....an accident of any description spoils it for everyone.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Serenity Now » Wed May 05, 2010 5:37 pm

My worst experience at the camp fire was when the Dads took the kids camping and my youngest boy pulled his hot burning marshmellow on his stick out of the fire and into my daughters hair and burnt her hair.

I still allow the ritual of marshmellows at the fire but needless to say its a very controlled activity.

P.S i dont believe that DH was going to inform me of this but you know kids they love to tell stories.Plus my daughters burnt melted hair was evidence enough.
I have a family that we camp with and they wont do the marshmellow thing at all,so that works for them.
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Postby Ricklanga » Wed May 05, 2010 6:52 pm

The thing I can't stand is bloody sparklers. So many people light these things & give them to thair kids to run around with & don't consider the possible consequences.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby Lin » Wed May 05, 2010 8:06 pm

Wow, I seem to be a lot more liberal in what I allow my child to do. I allow her to poke the fire because I want her to learn about maintaining a fire and about fire safety. And I definitely allow her sparklers. The hot end of the poking stick is to be kept over the fire and pointing downwards at all times. And there's obviously no running with sparklers and she needs to keep her distance from others.

I really can't see anything wrong with that. I supervise her like a hawk around the fire and am always ready to interfere before any damage can be done and so I can tell her off and explain what she did wrong and she actually learns from the experience. I guess we all have different ideas of when kids are ready to learn certain things. And it would be quite different if there were a few young kids together, but I only ever have the one.

My friends are way more of a liability when they get plastered around the campfire but I don't have any control over them.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch » Wed May 05, 2010 8:29 pm

I like the fire plans, But what if it goes belly up, do you have a plan for that?
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Wed May 05, 2010 11:33 pm

I don't have a plan for lots of what ifs. I've sat by lots of campfires and never had an emergency except for the once when my ex thought it was a good idea to pour kerosine on the fire to get it going. :shock:

What I was trying to say is that I trust my daughter with the fire under my supervision as much as I trust myself with the fire. And my reasoning is that she's a lot less likely to try and sneakily play with it behind my back if I allow her to participate when she asks.

But I do have a liberal parenting style on lots of levels and it's not everyone's cup of tea. Which doesn't mean I let my child do what she wants or don't take responsibility for her actions. I can assure you that it is quite the opposite and she gets a lot more discipline than most other kids I know.

A fire blanket is a good idea, like a smoke detector is or a first-aid kit in the car.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu May 06, 2010 8:03 am

Lin wrote:. I supervise her like a hawk around the fire

Not all parents are as diligent in this regard as you Lin and therein lies the problem.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:41 pm

I am very wary around fires and I hate sparklers but my kids had them when they were little but I was like a hawk and they were to just stand there and not move....

The reason for me being like this was that I had a very lucky escape from a sparkler thanks to my quick thinking mum. I was twirling it around and got it too close to my dressing gown when I was a child and my dressing gown caught fire and my response was to run but thank heavens my mum was a quicker runner than me back then and chased me down and dropped me to the ground and rolled on me to get the fire out. I was EXTREMEMLY lucky it didnt burn my skin too badly that is scarred but from then on fires and sparkers are a bit of a panic trigger with me when kids are around.

Also the kid we used to camp with had an obsession with playing with fire among his many other bad behavioural talents(there were too many to list) which really worried me and he would wave fire sticks around all over the place and burnt a hole in one of the chairs. We no longer camp with or are friends with them because the Mum asked my opinion on his behaviour when they changed his schools(of course it was the schools fault he was naughty and always in trouble and they had "labelled" him - NOT!!!!) and me being me and not one to lie to my friends told her like it was and now she won't speak to me but not a real loss though.

Camping is now an absolute pleasure as he used to stress my hubby out sooooo much he was ready to explode!!!
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Thu May 06, 2010 2:52 pm

I must say that I've probably underestimated the sparkler danger. I didn't realise how hot they burn. Lots of people are probably fooled by the fact that the sparks aren't hot themselves. I have always been weary about not touching anyone or anything with the hot end, but I will be even more careful now.

Found this info sheet on it, which was rather interesting: http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/resources/ ... rburns.pdf
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby toucan » Fri May 07, 2010 8:58 pm

I dont have too much of a problem with my kids around a fire. They know to sit in their chair and enjoy the chatter that is usually going on. They love toasting marshmallows and we even have special forks just for the job! 8)
The fire is never left unattended by an adult so if the kids are hanging around it they behave.

With the sparklers we usually have them on New Years and one of the families we were with can get wild so i was nervous, but their Dad was even stricter with them than i was. He made them stand still, not wave it around to much, and when we were done collected all the sticks and disposed of them properly.

It all comes down to parent supervision and taking responsibility for your own kids. :grin:
toucan
Camping King

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat