Large Family Vans - Jayco Base Station any others?

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Large Family Vans - Jayco Base Station any others?

Postby Kittycat » Wed May 05, 2010 12:19 am

Hi again all!

We are currently researching vans, for our family (5 boys and us). 4 of the boys need beds, the baby sleeps with us.

We have been looking at the Jayco range, but the only one we feel is suitable is their top of the range one converted to triple bunks, baby sleeps with us and one child on the fold table or floor (he's 5 and tiny so he will live!)

or the "base station" they have (the one for "toys" in the back) except get it converted to four bunks in the rear then we have the pop out double bed as well, or if its too wet/cold the table folds down to a small double as well with the pop out bed down.

Is there any other brands that any one knows of that does a similar or bigger van? We arent fussed about old or new.....we were trying to stay under 22 foot...we also wanted a toilet and shower....

The plan was to stay under $40k for the van but obviously the vans we have looked at are $55-$65k! so thats most certainly the limit now!!!

Suggestions appreciated! Oh and we have decided a landcruiser is the way to go pulling wise so weight isnt too much of an issue.

Thanks again!!!
Kittycat
Boy Scout

Re: Large Family Vans - Jayco Base Station any others?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed May 05, 2010 9:02 am

I think that's about it Kitty....your spend amount coupled with all your requirements will be the drawback. Once you add a shower/toilet you can add $10,000 to the cost and then when you start modifying, that too will add dollars to the cost. Think it is only Jayco who make vans like this and a big van will limit the places you can go.

It is a lot of money to spend to use basically to sleep in which I think was what you said in your original post.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Kittycat » Wed May 05, 2010 12:00 pm

Yes Gypsy it is.... :(

We are still hopeful of finding an older family van like the ones my husband and I grew up as children travelling in....they had a double at one end, plus bunks at the other, usually triple or double both sides....the loss of the toilet and shower was the sacrifice but we can always find a spot in an older van to put a porta potty im sure! Its just finding one of those vans in WA its near impossible!

Ill keep searching and see some more van people today....we are also off to check out 4WD, decided to downgrade the year and kms of the 4WD to get a better van.....and keep money aside for a new engine for the car jsut incase!!! After my brothers recent issues with his brand new Navara and also his brand new Landcruiser ute! We figured best just go old and trusted and replace the engine when need be....100 series seem to have enough belts and not too bad on $$ jsut trying to find the specs for towing...sheesh its had to find specs with older cars!!

thanks again!

Oh and back to that 4wd business, the 100 series are 3500 towing arent they ? and a 350 (max 295 ball weight?) have I got that correct? and the 3500 includes the fully laden van but not? the weight in the car? Im still confused about all these weights!!!

The van we are looking at is tow ball weight 265kg, 2160 tare weight and 700 payload. Thats the base station.
Kittycat
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Wed May 05, 2010 2:14 pm

Hi Kitty

I have a fuel injected turbo diesel auto 100 series LC and the max tow weight is 3500, with a ball weight max of 350. The GVM of the vehicle is 3260; that is the vehicle's max load capacity.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to General Chit-Chat