Question for the ladies who camp on their own.

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Question for the ladies who camp on their own.

Postby Kbel » Thu May 06, 2010 11:54 pm

I'm wanting to go out on my own to camp as it's really hard to get coordinating time off with hubby and friends/family.

So I'm looking at campgrounds (powered and with showers etc) within a 2 hour radius of Brisbane.

Just wondering from any of the Brissy ladies (or gents) whether there are any grounds in that area I should avoid as not being particularly 'safe' feeling? I'm not a fraidy-cat or anything, but I want to relax, not be worrying about people!

Also are there any grounds which have a really nice, friendly, family feel?

All info very muchly appreciated as I head out on Tuesday for 3 nights on my own and have to choose and book. :) Ideally it would be fairly close to shops etc as hubby is dropping me off and picking me up so he can have the car for all the kid runs. :--?

(Yes I am spoiled)

Other than that, it can be pretty much anywhere within 2 hours of Brisbane.

Kirri
If a man speaks in the middle of the forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
Kbel
Camping King

Re: Question for the ladies who camp on their own.

Postby GypsyLady » Fri May 07, 2010 8:09 am

Hi Kirri....I camp on my own and must say I actually look for places where there are no shops.

My advice for you is more in the type of place where I do not camp solo and that is places like council campgrounds and or feebies. I always camp with friends in these places.

You might well be better off with a caravan park which has all the amenities and often a kiosk.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri May 07, 2010 10:17 am

I am a single lady always on my own,with 3 dogs..i don`t go to unsupervised places,always where there is managment/caretaker..i have never had the need to vacate a place early because of riff raff and have always felt safe..and some places the manager has made the effort to check that i am ok knowing i`m alone..most people are friendly and the odd one has helped me put up my camp site and very occassionally i have been invited to their camp site for a cuppa ....try the Glass House Mts i hear good reports about it...two good parks at Bribie Island....both very close to shops ...actually for a first time camp on your own Bribie would be pretty good..
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Fri May 07, 2010 11:16 am

Well here I am to talk about Tallebudgera! :***
No seriously.... I love going there cos it has the nice family feel. I often go with just my almost 4yo. He calls it His Beach. It will be fairly quiet now but there are grey nomads who stay for few weeks and visitors up from down south. I have always found people to chat with and have a coffee with. And often someone comes over to help set up, not that I need it but it is always more fun.
It is peaceful there and is just round the hill from Burleigh. There is a bus stop out the front and the buses come fairly regularly. The grounds are well cared for as are the amenities.
There is a place near Southport that I want to go to but haven't had the chance yet. It looks nice on the web so I will get there one day. It's called Broadwater caravan park. Info can be found at goldcoasttouristparks.com.au
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kbel » Fri May 07, 2010 3:47 pm

Thanks for the info ladies. :)

It's good to see we're on the same page, because Burleigh Heads and the Woorim Top Tourist park at Bribie are both on my short list. Guess I'll just flip a coin.

::)

Kirri
If a man speaks in the middle of the forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
Kbel
Camping King

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri May 07, 2010 3:50 pm

We all look forward to seeing how it all goes and reading your report and pics when you get back!!!! ::)

HAVE A GREAT TIME...
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Sat May 08, 2010 6:57 pm

Hope you have a ball.

I never see myself as "camping on my own" because I always have my dog for protection!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby sienna » Wed May 19, 2010 11:29 pm

So how was your trip? Where did you end up going?
I think I need to get away again soon. Getting withdrawal symptoms having not been camping since easter.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kbel » Wed May 19, 2010 11:37 pm

Hi all.

I ended up on Bribie Island (old stomping ground for our family's holidays) in the Woorim Top Tourist caravan park.

Times have changed there - they now have the grand total of 3 tent sites, but it is a lovely park with a good proportion being residential, some cabins and holiday vans and lots of slab sites for the caravanners.

It was nice to get away, and the fact that there is an excellent scrapbooking / cardmaking shop just down the road is a big drawcard. :lol:

I paid $29 / night (2 person rate) and the sites were near the excellent camp kitchen and amenities. On the down side, the 3 camping sites are right near a residential section so I got to hear a lot of general everyday chitchat and a couple of arguments between couples instead of having fun near all holidaying folks.

I'll go again, but will also be looking around for a more 'campy' kind of campground for getaways. I've looked at some of gypsy's recommendations and might well try out a couple of those which have power.

Cheers!

Kirri
Kbel
Camping King

Postby Rosco532 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:19 am

Good news that you enjoyed your break Kbel.....
Just a note....A couple of the places we talk about that are with-in 2hours of Brisbane e.g 'Inbil,Kenilworth Jimna etc.....Can get very cold at nights at this time of the year.....
A couple more that you may be interested in are....Jacobs Well....down on the Sth side....We loved it there VERY clean & safe........Going Nth theres Peregain Beach....Pet friendly --approx 1 hr 40 mins drive from Strathpine and really nice office staff (as was Jacobs Well)......Only another 7----10 minutes and you are in Noosa.....nice place....
Another beautiful place , if you have no Pets with you is ''Cotton-tree''...Very clean & safe as well....

At the top of NSW.....'Tweed-heads'....great place....we stay at the 'River Retreat' (cause....of coarse...its Pet friendly)

Once you start going past the top of Brisbane the camps full up at this time of the year with 'Grey Nomads' & Southerners wanting a 2nd Summer (lol).....

I'm also sure if you put a note on here that you were looking for a camping buddy for the weekend one of the ladies may jump at the chance of company for their weekend as well.

Pic of Jacobs Well camp.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu May 20, 2010 8:18 am

Kbel wrote: On the down side, the 3 camping sites are right near a residential section so I got to hear a lot of general everyday chitchat and a couple of arguments between couples
Cheers!

Kirri

Ha, ha, ha...Kirri....Just think of the free entertainment you had. You probably know their life history and they know zip about you.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Little Kopit » Thu May 20, 2010 9:42 am

I started camping solo the year after my husband died, ie. 1971. Or shall we say, I discovered how much 'fun' it can be to find someone who has the same days off.

About 15 years later, I finally had 2 dogs of the same kind, ie. retrievers who like trails and water. & all of a sudden I saw how much more 'safe' I would be with 2 mid sized dogs. Yes, I'd call 70lbs. 30+kg as mid sized.

It is a long time since I worried about a reservation for 'safety'. If I head to a campground, I can tell from the attendant if it is my kind of place or too much of a 'party' place. & yes, I have one National Park in Canada on my 'too many late nighters' list.

Do I free camp. Yep, and I expect when I travel to Oz, it will be doing more free camping than cg camping. It's little places that interest me. or historical sections of cities.

& I'm sure you and add or subtract a bit, 40 years a widow is correct.

Go do, step by step, you will find out where you are comfy.

:)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006
Little Kopit
Camping Veteran

Postby sienna » Sat May 22, 2010 10:17 am

It's always nice to go somewhere familiar the first time.
Hey and if you do want some company, sing out. You'll be sure to get some company if you want. I know how hard it is to find camping buddies who can go through the week.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to General Chit-Chat