Who takes a computer to camping?

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Who takes a computer to camping?

Postby gmhemi » Tue May 11, 2010 8:21 am

We don't allow any computers camping because thats just one thing we are escaping from. A mate of ours was considering taking a laptop to check on his shares and didn't he find out what everyone thought about that.

Just wondering what others do.
gmhemi
Camping King

Re: Who takes a computer to camping?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue May 11, 2010 8:37 am

I do..........
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Kbel » Tue May 11, 2010 9:11 am

Absolutely not!!!

Just the portable dvd player, the iPod, etc...

:***

Kirri
If a man speaks in the middle of the forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
Kbel
Camping King

Postby Pauly » Tue May 11, 2010 9:30 am

:*** book a motel room.

Phones stay in the car and the only other electronic "entertainment" is the car radio. We go camping to get away from all that junk.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Rosco532 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:01 am

'I DO'....Its not actually to go on line....more to transfer 'pics' from our camera...
But,surely, If its your choice NOT to take yours,,, it must be your friends choice TO either take or leave his...no-one elses business !!!
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby jcd » Tue May 11, 2010 10:18 am

I have a netbook connected to a GPS in the car and use it for maps and planning how to get to various places. It will also tether to my mobile phone to let me get email and keep up to date with what is happening in the world. I can also download photos and gps track logs to reuse memory cards.
I guess it all comes down to why you are going away camping, if it is to get away from the modern world then don't take a computer, but if like me you want to see more of Australia but still appreciate modern technology, then take one but don't let it intrude on the experience.

Bye Jeff.
NS Pajero SWB R, Diesel, Automatic, Cooper Discovery ATR's, AirTech Snorkel, LRA Aux. Fuel Tank, Dual Batteries, Thule Aerobars & Roof Box, OzTent RV-2
jcd
Boy Scout

Postby toucan » Tue May 11, 2010 10:39 am

No we don't take one.
If we did my older kids might spend the day on MSN, but having said that, they went 2 weeks without the computer last Xmas and didnt miss it at all. :grin:
The only thing i needed a computer for was to transfer money to a different account, and i went into town and to a branch and did that.
We have friends who take theirs but it doesnt bother me.
toucan
Camping King

Postby Lin » Tue May 11, 2010 11:15 am

I don't because the only thing I ever use my laptop for is to check the internet and I never go camping anywhere where you'd would be able to pick up WiFi anyway. It's not really a conscious choice, but I do like it! I rarely have phone connection either which I love. Except for when I need to contact friends to let them know exactly where we are... But I really love telling my manager before a camping trip: and if you need to contact me, tough luck! No reception!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:42 am

We don't but then we only have a PC at home so would be a bit big to lug around!!! :***

Although our daughter gets her school laptop today but that will be definately staying home.

We don't have a laptop, but my hubby has shares too but he can go for a week camping and not really worry too much about them and if we happen to need the internet which is very rarely when camping maybe to check the weather we can use our phones.

We only have wireless pre-pay internet at home and that only has credit when I get around to buying some which is not very often which the kids seem to survive without. We have only had the wireless for 6 months and before that they had to come into our business to use the internet. They are still quite normal, sociable kids that are pretty well adjusted and our 14 & 12 year old daughters don't even have mobiles yet!!!!!!! ::() Their 17yo brother has but we live in a small country town so they don't really need one, and our rule is when they are 15 they can get one for their birthday. So far none of them is a social outcast!!!! :?#

I think it really depends on your individual situation and preference. It wouldn't bother us if people we camped with took one either.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Serenity Now » Tue May 11, 2010 11:55 am

It has never even occurred to me to have access to the internet whilst camping.
I have not found a need to personally.

i too like Lin love it that i rarely have mobile phone coverage.
For me it is about lack of technology.

We did take the laptop to Tassie and on cold dark nights all 5 of us would bunk down in the tent and watch a family movie.
Laptops make good dvd players.

Might be different if i owned my own business or was doing an extensive trip.
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Postby HGMonaro » Tue May 11, 2010 12:24 pm

we usually take one as a photo storage device. On our big trip we updated our website along the way and I've been known to create our own postcards (usually pictures of the kids and significant locations we've been which we get printed) to send home. Decided not to take it to Fiji recently but bought a few extra SD cards to ensure I had enough photo storage which worked out ok. Might be doing a USA trip next year so will grab a netbook to take as photo storage as current laptop is too big.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby dea » Tue May 11, 2010 1:53 pm

i dont normally but will do next trip purely for music!!!!
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby Pauly » Tue May 11, 2010 2:08 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:We don't but then we only have a PC at home so would be a bit big to lug around!!! :***

Getting a long enough extension lead is normally very difficult :grin:
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby sienna » Tue May 11, 2010 2:22 pm

I only would take one for a longer trip. That being said, I didn't bother over christmas cos our laptop is too big and annoying to lug around. I used the computers in the rec room at the caravan park for checking emails.
We are looking for a smaller, lighter lappie to travel with. They do come in handy when overseas and you want check out local amenities and car hire etc.
I do take the portable dvd player and my son's ipod touch. There are times when it's too hot to go outside or it's rest time so they are good for that. There are definitely rules on how often those things get used.
But it's really personal preference.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jo&Kev » Tue May 11, 2010 2:27 pm

I take my iPhone which allows me to access the net for banking and personal email. I have the work Blackberry - it's with a different provider than my personal phone so it sometimes gets different coverage.

We couldn't be bothered with anything bigger at this stage, but I would consider it for a long trip, mainly for photo downloads. Then again, with SD cards being so cheap, I could buy a lot of SD cards for the cost of a laptop.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat