Who takes a computer to camping?

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Re: Who takes a computer to camping?

Postby Art » Tue May 18, 2010 10:19 pm

I take one for car based camping, but if it's a long hike or hike with overnight stay,
I might take my PSP to play movies at night.
"Boy Scout" my Ass, I Climb Mountains Baby!
Art
Captain Camping

Postby Chicky Babe » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:44 pm

I take one if there is mobile coverage only because sometimes I can't go camping with my kid during the week unless I can be in contact with work. Don't let anyone else use it as I believe they don't need the technology, that's what they are supposed to be getting away from and they don't miss it. Having said that we do take an ipod and speakers for music as it is more energy efficient with rechargeable batteries. :cheers
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby spinyeel » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:57 pm

All electronic gadgetry,except my mobile phone,for emergency use only,stays at home where it belongs. :grin: As for G.P.S. Give me a break. :? Get some decent maps. :x
spinyeel
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:56 pm

spinyeel wrote: As for G.P.S. Give me a break. :? Get some decent maps. :x

Now that is a bit unfair spinyell.....not everyone can read maps!!
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:50 pm

I'm always the only one in the car who can read maps (actually I'm the only one who can read in the car so far) so it can get tricky. If I have to consult the map I have to pull over. So I do sometimes get tempted to get a GPS but I've seen the frustration they can cause (in Belgium absolutely everyone has one) and I'm worried I'll lose the skill to navigate myself and then I'd be stuffed if my GPS plays up...
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:05 pm

I have issues with a piece of technology telling me where to go......

I personally find the navigator is only good in the city....most of the places I camp don't have an address to plug into the navigator and I don't always have coordinates to plug in either.

I prefer a paper map BUT as I said not everyone can read maps.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:54 pm

How right you are Gypsy.

I have a GPS and it only gets used when I head to the city, and the "make a u turn when possible" drives me to want to smash her. We have a nickname for her in our house and she is called "Navb*tch" :grin:

When it comes to reading maps I get into BIG trouble with hubby as it is not one of my finer skills!! ;)
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:08 pm

My female navs voice is Karen. I did have Lee (male) but could not stand a male constantly telling me when to turn the corner etc so changed it. It's like being told how to drive by a male!!

Don't be too hard on yourself XB.....

Women’s ability to read maps is not a strong point…that is more of a male domain. I mean we can multi task many things and they cannot so in the overall scheme of things…map reading is not high on the list of necessary requirements.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:48 am

I bought a little Notebook, so it sits on my ute bench seat, has internet and a GPS reciever and a few other little software thingys. I can get on the net and check emails and websites, last month when i went to Gayndah i had the BOM weather radar running on it while driving out there, it was raining at the time so i could see the radar, i know it's not really necessary, but pretty cool if you're in to geeky stuff like that. We were heading out for a car rally and found out that it was cancelled due to rain, so we kept going anyway and stayed somewhere else for the weekend.

I also have a few google earth screen shots of where i usually go and have the GPS receiver going through oziexplorer software so i can map the tracks we take as we drive around the bush. Once we out in the bush in the country i can't get internet reception though, I have a big external antenna for the internet so anywhere you can get mobile phone reception you can get internet. (but still doesn't work out in the sticks)

and notebook has an SD card slot, so i can transfer photos from the camera.

But once we're at our destination and out of the car it's all forgotten.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Chicky Babe » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:20 pm

Lin wrote:See I even prefer no music and definitely no DVDs when camping. I can tolerate my friends playing music (just :lol:, but I wouldn't be very happy if they'd be watching DVDs instead of having a chinwag by the campfire.

I love my music...but agree if you camp with friends it's about bonding...drinking...chinwagging...not watching dvd's...definitely no loud music unless you are all alone and not bothering anyone else and seriously you can only do that bush camping and in winter when no one else wants to go cause the water in the bucket freezes overnight!!! but how happy are you around a fire chatting and singing with great friends...ok...maybe just chatting for some us!!! :***
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby stevo. » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:57 am

hah, i have some friends that will sometimes put on loud music. We'll be having a chat around the fire and then someone decides to put music on, which is ok if it's just in the background, but they always make it loud, so then you can't talk, and it always kills the night and people start going to bed.
stevo.

Postby Chicky Babe » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:10 am

:) Oh yeah...at the beginning gotta be able to talk and enjoy the music...then as it gets a little later gotta be able to talk or sing...not both!! ...but again only when there are no neighbouring campers!!!

We have decided to have the group fire away from the early to bedders in school holidays this year. That should help!!
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby elpaulos » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:29 am

No laptops, but I think that technology is definitely catching up. Like going to your own personal toilet in the bush, electronic devices are here to stay. Saying that, it would be good to log into here from "out there" to get park reviews and the like but alas I just take a portable DVD player so the kids can watch a movie before bed. Gives me a chance to stoke the fire and for them to relax and unwind.

I can't think of too much there is on the market that takes our home on the road with us, like the fridge/freezers and the satellite dishes or the 3G network, super bedding the list goes on.

Me? I still reckon wanting to get out there is the reason to simply get out there....to forget about what is left behind.
91 Landcruiser.
elpaulos
Camping Veteran

Postby stevo. » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:58 pm

gypsylady wrote:
spinyeel wrote: As for G.P.S. Give me a break. :? Get some decent maps. :x

Now that is a bit unfair spinyell.....not everyone can read maps!!

I'm kind of connecting this to the "roughing it" thread.

We leave our flash houses in our airconditioned fuel injected 4wds , towing a camper trailer, probably take a mobile phone call on the way, arrive at the destination, setup the camper trailer, set up the chairs, grab a drink from the fridge, take a few photos with the new nikon, .. and so at what point do you draw the line where the GPS or a computer is too much?

I think if you say anything is too much, you may have to walk naked and barefoot to the destination guidedby the sun.

:cheers
stevo.

Postby Lin » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:48 am

I think for me it is anything that distracts you for any length of time from what you are out there for: to enjoy nature and the outdoors...

I don't go anywhere without my mobile, but I usually get no reception anyway where I am, so it only gets used for our "who can guess the time" competitions. :lol:

And I do have my camera of course, but often I'm so enjoying the view that I forget to take pictures.

I do occasionally do sudoku puzzles or read while I'm having my morning coffee or in the tent at night and that's kind of the same as using the computer, I reckon.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Previous

Return to General Chit-Chat