July school holidays

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

July school holidays

Postby Lin » Fri May 14, 2010 4:57 pm

I wanted to head North for an exotic holiday during the July school holidays. I was willing to pay for the flights and hotel accommodation. But because the connections from Canberra are so appallingly limited, expensive and time-consuming, I kind of gave up on the idea eventually.

Then I remembered my daughter had such a great time camping at One Mile Beach with her dad and his friends in December. So we might be going on our first ever winter camping trip in July! It'll still be quite chilly as it's not very far North (near Port Stephens). Lowest max temp last July was 13.6. But the min temps are ok. Actually warmer than when we last went to Wee Jasper. We'll be camping at the Melalueca backpackers place. I emailed them and apparently it's not busy there that time of the year (not surprising).

I'm quite excited about it! Hopefully we'll be able to convince some friends to come with us too.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: July school holidays

Postby Titch » Fri May 14, 2010 5:03 pm

I love the cooler months, Are you allowed fires?
Enjoy.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Fri May 14, 2010 5:05 pm

Oops, I forgot to ask that all important question! I believe they weren't allowed in summer. I wouldn't go if there's no fires allowed. Thanks for reminding me!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Fri May 14, 2010 5:09 pm

Yep, just checked their website and they say no fires allowed. They give as a reason that they are in the middle of a National Park. I don't get it. At the South coast you can have campfires in all National Park campsites unless there's a fireban.

Anyone know of any other good places to stay in that general area? We don't really need facilities. If there's a place were dogs are allowed that would be a bonus.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Sat May 15, 2010 8:53 pm

They have a communal fire drum. Bit poor when you're used to a private campfire... Who knows how far we'd have to walk from the fire to our tent...

I've been trying to find dog-friendly bush-style camping sites near the coast in that area, but no luck. So I'll definitely have to leave the dog at home and either cope with having to share a fire with strangers or being cold at Melaleuca or decide to pay twice for cabin style accommodation in the area instead.

Or maybe my daughter will manage to talk me into taking her to Sydney again after all...
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby hoadie72 » Sat May 15, 2010 9:42 pm

How far north do you want to go? Myall Lakes might be nice, though being in a NP, no dogs...

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/natio ... x?id=N0026
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby Lin » Sat May 15, 2010 9:45 pm

Ooh, that does look nice! Not too far. And I've already resigned myself to the fact that I cannot take the dog on this trip.

Thanks!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Tue May 18, 2010 9:18 pm

I'm just using this place to think out loud now! I just checked the temperatures for last July at Narooma (Far South Coast) and they're actually not much colder (if at all?) than at the Central Coast! So now I'm thinking we might just go to Mystery Bay again. There'd be hardly anyone there, nighttime temps will be warmer than what we had on our last trip to Wee Japser, I can take the dog and it'll be pleasant during the day in the sun.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to General Chit-Chat