Towing with a SWB Vehicle

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Towing with a SWB Vehicle

Postby Darren & Shayle » Mon May 17, 2010 2:37 pm

Can anyone offer some advice. We own a SWB 2008 NS Pajero (petrol). It is the same in all respects as a LWB Pajero, but with a wheelbase of 2,545mm as against 2,790mm. At 2,045kg it is also about 130kg lighter than the LWB. It is rated to tow 2,500kg. We will be towing a Jayco 21' van with an ATM of about 2,400kg. First, we know we are close to the legal limit. Second, we have heard that SWB vehicles can be unstable even with a WDH. Will we have an unstable and therefore unsafe rig? We are prepared to upgrade our vehicle, but don't want to do it unnecessarily. Any advice or people's experiences towing with a similar vehicle would be appreciated.
Darren & Shayle

Re: Towing with a SWB Vehicle

Postby Rosco532 » Mon May 17, 2010 2:54 pm

Darron, You will find with the SWB they will tend to 'bounce' along compared with the LWB...Learn to 'slow down' ......

Cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Redback » Tue May 18, 2010 9:58 am

One thing is for sure, your fuel economy will be high, it will be unstable and as said above you will need to drive slower, especially on undulating roads, freeways should be OK though, I would be looking at upgrading your suspension, the rear especially, airbags would be a start, WDHs are good, but if your springs are too soft it will only help a bit, you will still have that spongy feel and bounce at the rear, so airbags will help.

What is the ball weight of the van and what is the max ball weight allowed for the Paj??

I'd upgrade the car or down size the van.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Darren & Shayle » Tue May 18, 2010 9:39 pm

Thanks Rosco & Baz. The ball weight of the van is approx 200kg loaded and the Pajero is rated at 250kg. After some good advice, we've decided that we're not going to compromise with safety. The wife (Shayle) won't compromise on the van so now Darren gets a say. He... I'm sorry, we're... looking at a 200 series Cruiser. Expensive, but the old adage holds true that you get what you pay for. We were also half thinking of the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Hard to argue with 160kw and 510Nm and 3,500kg tow capacity (V6 CRD). The figures look good but is it a reliable / safe package??
Darren & Shayle

Postby Rosco532 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:52 pm

This Nissan lover says......Patrol...Patrol...Patrol..........''Don't forget.....Patrol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The rest are 'Toys',............3ltr Diesel......Thats 4 u...only thing that will pull the skin off a rice pudding..........
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed May 19, 2010 7:43 am

Oh Rosco....you have to be kidding...everyone knows that Toyotas Rule!!

hehehehe....lol
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Redback » Wed May 19, 2010 11:15 am

Darren & Shayle wrote:Thanks Rosco & Baz. The ball weight of the van is approx 200kg loaded and the Pajero is rated at 250kg. After some good advice, we've decided that we're not going to compromise with safety. The wife (Shayle) won't compromise on the van so now Darren gets a say. He... I'm sorry, we're... looking at a 200 series Cruiser. Expensive, but the old adage holds true that you get what you pay for. We were also half thinking of the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Hard to argue with 160kw and 510Nm and 3,500kg tow capacity (V6 CRD). The figures look good but is it a reliable / safe package??

I'd look at the Disco 3 or 4 as well as the 200 Cruiser, they are around the same price as the Cruiser, the Disco 3 TDV6 2.7L has 140Kw and 450Nm, the Disco 4 TDV6 3.0l has 170Kw and 650Nm, WITH 550Nm off idle, but either way 2 great vehicles, don't get the Patrol, your in the same boat as the Paj with only 2500kg tow capacity in the auto, the D3/D4 and Cruiser are 3500kg.

But if you don't mind something a bit smaller then why not the long wheel base Pajero, they have a 3000kg tow capacity.

Baz.
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed May 19, 2010 11:59 am

Redback wrote:
But if you don't mind something a bit smaller then why not the long wheel base Pajero, they have a 3000kg tow capacity.
Baz.

So does the new DMax......might be worth a look as well as they are considerably less in price and not a bad looking/feeling unit.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Redback » Wed May 19, 2010 3:35 pm

gypsylady wrote:
Redback wrote:
Baz.

So does the new DMax......might be worth a look as well as they are considerably less in price and not a bad looking/feeling unit.

Yes the latest dual cabs are great value for money, the new Triton even comes standard with a rear locker, ABS, Traction control or even the new Challenger would be a good choice.

So many great cars out there to chose from.

Baz.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Rosco532 » Wed May 19, 2010 6:09 pm

Sorry guys....Didn't realize the 3ltr Patrol was so different to my '4500 Patrol'.....Just rang my Bro-in-law in Perth who has towed their 21ft Jayco c/van right around the country with his 3ltr diesel.....seems, they can tow up to 3200kg with elec brakes on the van.......Value for money....hard to go past.
Also, they don't have the 'RUST' problems associated with the 'Toy'-motas......
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed May 19, 2010 7:45 pm

Rosco532 wrote:Also, they don't have the 'RUST' problems associated with the 'Toy'-motas......

Fit an Electronic Rust Prevention System and there are no rust problems with any vehicle.....very good insurance.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Redback » Thu May 20, 2010 11:54 am

Rosco532 wrote:Sorry guys....Didn't realize the 3ltr Patrol was so different to my '4500 Patrol'.....Just rang my Bro-in-law in Perth who has towed their 21ft Jayco c/van right around the country with his 3ltr diesel.....seems, they can tow up to 3200kg with elec brakes on the van.......Value for money....hard to go past.
Also, they don't have the 'RUST' problems associated with the 'Toy'-motas......

From what I've been told it's only the manual that can tow over 2500kg, apparently the auto in the 3.0lt can't handle the extra weight and over time can fail.

Cause I could be wrong, as for rust, can't see Toyotas being any worse than any other jap 4WD.

Baz.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Thu May 20, 2010 12:30 pm

I thought there were a few 'issues' with the 3 litre Patrol.....or at least that is what I have heard from a couple of friends who have them
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby HGMonaro » Thu May 20, 2010 12:45 pm

they don't call them 'grenade' for nothing! ;)

What amuses me is this (straight from Toyota site, using diesel 5dr as 3dr only comes as deisel)
3 dr GMV 2600 (kerb weight around 2100 depending on model) - breaked towing max 3000kg
5 dr GMV 2990 (kerb weight around 2300-2400 depending on model) - breaked towing max 2500kg

so they think a lighter, shorter wheelbase vehicle can tow more... I know which one I'd rather be in coming down a mountain with a cross wind!

Haven't looked at the Paj's to see if it's a similar story.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Rosco532 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:12 pm

Baz....My Bro-in-law would not be seen dead in an 'Auto'....lol....not a 'Mans' truck. :beer

Thought it was the 'Ford' that was called the Granade !!!!or was that the 'Exploder' ?? lol,,,

The 3ltr Nissan was supposed to have had a 5th cylinder problem when they first bought them out....all cured now.

My 4500 Purrs like a pussy.....Haven't had a hill yet that I have had to change back to Petrol...and thats even when I'm towing....Stays on LPG.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat