Gordon Country

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Gordon Country

Postby willow » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:22 am

Hi there,

I am new to this site and have done a search but couldnt find anything on Gordon Country camping park.
Has anyone ever been there and how do they rate the place. We are looking at going there with a 4WD club.
Does it have many 4WD tracks, if so how would you rate them also.

Thanks in advance
willow

Re: Gordon Country

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:21 pm

I have been to Gordon Country but some time ago and I would not ever go back. The tracks for us were very basic and most very over grown with weed.

They had cows separated from their calves near the camp as well and we got no sleep at all due to both mothers and offspring bellowing all night.

The amenities were pretty basic but I think they have been improved since.

I prefer Janowen Hills which is on the same road and not as far out as GC. Here is the link to their website. http://www.janowenhills4wdpark.bigpondhosting.com/

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Chicky Babe » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:16 pm

Love it...been going there 7 yrs now in all seasons...I have met people out sailing who have been going to gordon country for 35 yrs and their kids and grandkids go as well now. The amenities have been fixed up and they now have 3 amenities sites. You can can camp wherever you like and can be with the crowd or find your own spot. They have porta potti disposal and the owners are very nice. I have introduced 9 new families over the last 12 months and we have done a few other bush camps but this is by far their favourite and these were mostly city and resort people to start with and it is their favourite as well now to the point they have all bought their own campers. I know I should keep it quiet but there is 4,500 acres to camp in and the kids are safe as well. You now have to pay for 4wding as quite a few people destroyed it easter b4 last in the wet. $15 for 4wding. They have increased the fees a little but plenty of free firewood, take your own chainsaw, plenty of space to spread out. great little creek and we have kids from 4yrs to 16 who prefer here than a caravan park. Janowen is great as well but really just for serious 4wding and they are improving but space is limited not as bushy. I know the owners of that and they are really nice people. You actually can 4wd to the top of one of Gordon Country's ranges for approx 1.5 hrs and camp all alone overlooking the ranges,,,absolutely beautiful but need to be self sufficient. hope this helps. actually you need to be pretty much self sufficient it is bush camping but you can get water from the homestead if needed.
cheers Chicky Babe
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:34 pm

So CB....how much does it cost to now camp at GC??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:03 pm

I have really enjoyed Gordon Country in the past to the extent that I have a link to them on my main website. I know they have done a lot in recent times down there so have sent an email to Sue Gordon and referred her to this thread. Hopefully she can provide an update on things.

Here is a link to the Gordon Country website http://www.gordoncountry.com.au/Home.html

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:06 pm

gypsylady wrote:So CB....how much does it cost to now camp at GC??

GL, from the website

All camping – caravan, camper van, Winnebago, motor-home and tent camping:

$11 per night for each adult

Children 5 – 14 years $7 per night

Children 4 and under – free

Dogs - free

Firewood –free

Hot Showers –free
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi Derek.....long time no see. How's Darwin treating you??

It seems GC may have improved somewhat in recent times which is good news.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Chicky Babe » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:39 pm

Thanks Derek...they are really nice people... the fees only just went up used to be $11 for the first night then $7 per adult per night. Love the fact we can take the puppies at no extra charge and they don't have to be on a leash all the time but still should be controllable. They have done a heap of extra clearing and tidied the amenities up a fair bit.

You can take horses as well but unfortunately there is a tick problem if you come from brissy and you have to have them sprayed which is too expensive. We have tried several times but it works out to be too much trouble, unfortunate cause it is beautiful horseriding country and we would regularly take them there. No motorbikes thank goodness!!!
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:40 am

So Chicky Babe...what is the fee now if they have gone up from the price quoted by Derek??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Chicky Babe » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:55 am

Sorry GL if my post was confusing...it is the same as what Derek said $11 per night per adult as per the website info...I was just reflecting on what it used to be as soon as last xmas as it was only $11 per adult for the first night then $7 thereafter. They also had a discount depending on how long you stayed for especially over easter. I feel what they charge for easter camping is a bit excessive...A family of 2 adults and 3 small children, 2 under 4, had to pay $50 per night year b4 last.

It's okay for me as I only have myself and my daughter! I still feel like it is quite cheap as I don't have to pay for firewood or showers and can camp anywhere I like and take my puppies for free, so feel it is good value. It really is beautiful country, even in the drought and you don't have to camp right next to someone.

I have noticed through cruising the sight that you really like island reach campground. It is really a nice place to stay and a beautiful creek to relax in. I have checked out neurum creek but can't really understand their fee structure, but any place that allows puppies is a bonus for me. Haven't stayed there yet though.
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby stevo. » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:34 am

Is it Goomburra Valley that is the state forest camp site ? I have camped at Gorden Country and it was pretty nice , but when we went for a drive up to the National Park walking tracks you go through the state forest camp site area and it was packed. It's beside the creek and is a pretty nice place. I think that's the place anyway.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:00 am

There is Goomburra Valley Campground which is a private campground http://www.goomburravalleycampground.com.au/

There is also Goomburra State Forest or maybe it is called Goomburra Forest Reserve which is probably the one you are referring to Steve.

I used to love GVC but the people in there now are way over the top with what I believe are unreasonable rules so I won't go back there.

There is a thread back aways on GVC.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 am

Chicky Babe wrote:
I have noticed through cruising the sight that you really like Island Reach campground. It is really a nice place to stay and a beautiful creek to relax in. I have checked out neurum creek but can't really understand their fee structure, but any place that allows puppies is a bonus for me. Haven't stayed there yet though.

Yes I do like Island Reach quite a bit and think that it is ideal for many reasons, cost & pet friendly being just two and am happy to promote it for that reason.

NCBR.....I am not in favour of, 2 reasons being the additional $7 site fee which they cannot satisfactorily explain to me and the cost per night to have you canine family camp with you. I fail to see what services they use that requires an additional fee.

I will continue to support the campgrounds that I find are good value for money and pet friendly.

I don’t have many requirements of a campground, yes I like toilet facilities but don’t need them and the same for shower facilities. I am more than happy to take my own rubbish out and I don’t need any entertainment….just a reasonably level patch of dirt (yes grass is nice) but not necessary as I can always put down a floor in the annex. And yes I do like a campfire in the cooler months.

I camp for the sake of camping and some R&R…peacefulness and relaxing. Eat when I want to eat, cook when I want to cook and sleep when I want to sleep….BLISS
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Chicky Babe » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:13 pm

The state forest camp at goomburra seems to always be pretty packed out and I can't imagine why..it is fenced in and you have close neighbours and really no shade. and doesn't appeal to me at all when you actually drive through GC to get there. But the drive to the top is absolutely beautiful for the views and the rainforest. We have the kids believing that the fairies and goblins live in the big trees and fernery and you have to stay on the path or you will destroy their homes...kinda like the faraway tree from Enid Blyton...so cool!!

I have heard that the other campground GVC is a bit grumpy but haven't checked it out...never needed to...we aren't really happy with the increase in fees for Gordon Country for adults. They should have a family rate or group rate...I know it's my favourite but we have friends with at least 5 to 7 kids. The group is getting quite large now and they are starting to baulk at paying that much.

am with you GL..love the toilets and showers but am fully self sufficient. What kind of camper do you have?
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:08 am

Yes it is the families that are hit the hardest when there is a per person charge, that's for sure.

CB, I have a ModCon camper.

I am going to put GC back on my list to have another look at.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to General Chit-Chat