Brisbane

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Brisbane

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:08 pm

I know it's a bit off the camping topic but my sister and her hubby and two boys (4 & 7) are looking to move to Brisbane from Sydney.

With so many QLDers here just thought I would ask for some feedback on what are the best family friendly suburbs in Brisbane to live, cafes, good schools, parks etc....

They are going to head up there in a couple of weeks to have a look around. My sister will be working in the city and her husband at the airport.

If they move up there that will mean we will have a great excuse to take the CT up there to visit!!! ::)

xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Brisbane

Postby ck10_9 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:47 pm

Bayside is a nice spot for a family - commute would be around 45 mins to an hour

Australia Daily Photo Blog - Great images of the land down under
http://australiadailyphoto.blogspot.com/
ck10_9
Captain Camping

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:28 pm

How close to the city do they want to be ? lots of nice out skirt areas within 45 mins drive.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby stevo. » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:50 pm

if husband is working at the airport, i reckon live near the airport, like Nundah, Clayfield, Hendra, Banyo, Nudgee. These are very nice places, old style houses but some are pretty expensive areas, but might be cheap compared to Sydney. for example Banyo is around $450,000 for a house on 800sqr metres. These are a relatively easy Train ride in to the city for work, and about 5 to 10 minute drive to the airport.

PS. I live at Clontarf/Recdliffe, really nice place to live but no trains.oh..... Sandgate is another nice place, they have a train line ..it's the end of the line actually. Nice area beside the sea, all getting very trendy too.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:06 pm

Pretty close I think PJ. They have a 45min commute now in Sydney and are moving for lifestyle change so they can spend more time with the boys and less in the car. They both have cars so public transport is not as important as finding the right suburb.

They are quite "cafe" people too and being close to the beach is not a must. They are more after a young family suburb where the kids don't have to be locked in the backyard but would still love a suburb that has lovely cafes, shops, schools etc.

They are looking at spending around 400 to 500K on a house and are liking the look of a big qlder house.

Have Westend and Ashmore on their looking list I think and maybe St Lucia. Not sure though.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby CampGrrlz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:03 pm

[quote="xmasbaby67"Have Westend and Ashmore on their looking list I think and maybe St Lucia.[/quote]
Might be pushing it for the money in West End (southside) or St Lucia (northside). Ashmore is inland of the Gold Coast, quite a hike from the city and airport. West End is so yuppyfied these days, gone are the worker's cottages and boarding houses. There's plenty of cafes, plenty of pollution and high rises, all jammed in wanting to be within walking distance of the city. Not a quiet safe place for children. St Lucia is very hilly, close to the University with plenty of very expensive real estate inhabited by academics and upper-income groups. Not at first glance a community-minded child-friendly place.

Would be simpler to live on the north side rather than have to cross the river twice a day. I live 40 klms north of Brisbane, not on the railway but busses are reasonable. I don't know the inner northern suburbs of Briz so well, though. Have never had children to consider so this is the extent of my observations and while there's parks and schools and plenty of children around here, can't comment on how safe it is.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby stevo. » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:15 pm

They may have meant Ashgrove ? That's near the city.

yeah and near the city $500,000 doesn't get much, but anything is possible.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Rosco532 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:50 pm

My first suggestion would be to suggest to them....Get used to public transport.....Dam roads here are a night-mere.......Takes me over an hour to get from the Airport to Strathpine,,,(about 25km)....depending on the time....can take as longer.
The SCARBOUGH area is my pick Nth of the river....good place for 'Yuppies'....and they will buy a home in that area with-in their budget,,,,,,,,,,Avis & I often pop over for Sunday breakfast by the sea......nice cafes there....but there is no train service to there yetttttttt (its been gunna be going there for years).......
The Airport road traffic has eased with the new roads...used to be terrible...( I normally work there as a Security guard ...but the Airports been so quiet, I am relief guarding for the Defence Dept.)...

Cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby MDC » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:56 pm

A budget of $500k is going to make it difficult to get into a true 'cafe' precinct (eg: Paddington, West End, New Farm, Bulimba, Clayfield to some extent...) All of those areas are within the 5km from CBD zone, which I just read in an article today has a median of $935,000.

Once you start heading 10kms out you start to lose the cafe lifestyle and move into suburbia. Suburbs out near the water such as Scarborough are very nice but an absolute pain when it comes to commuting into the city for work. Buying near the TRAIN is a must. I wouldn't rely on the bus in Brisbane unless it's close to the pending bus tunnel on the north side.

A few areas stand out for me that are a short drive to cafe areas without being too far from the city or airport: Wavell Heights and Kedron. $500k should buy something fairly decent there. At the moment those areas aren't much to look at due to major roadworks with the tunnels but it should improve over time.

I would suggest they find a suburb they like within their budget and rent for a while to get a feel for the place. The prices in Brisbane won't be going anywhere for a while. Even if they do go up, it's better to spend the time to find a place they really want to live in rather than jumping in too quickly.

M
MDC
Captain Camping

Postby sienna » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:57 am

Carindale and carina are technically on the southside but they are both close to the Gateway (major arterial motorway) which head north to airport or south to gold coast. Not sure how house prices are going over that way but it's a nice area with easy access to city and airport etc.
I live further southside so can't really help much with northern suburbs. I love living south!
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:49 am

THANKS EVERYONE :?#

Thanks for you great responses everyone it has been a real help as it will help them narrow down the choices a bit and has been great guide. They are still quite nervous about moving but they just have to get out of Sydney as it's really bringing them down and they can't seem to get anywhere, and they also want a better quality of life for the boys. They have been tossing up moving to Brisbane for a little while now but it seems they want to move this year if they can both get transfers....

I have said it a thousand times but this forum is great!!! :cheers
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Wrecksie » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:55 pm

Can understand their nervousness about moving from Sydney. We did it ourselves nearly 15 years ago for much the same reasons - eldest daughter was only 1 then and we decided we really did not want to bring up our kids down there. Anyway to cut a long story short - 8 years ago we built in Manly West in Brisbane's Bayside and couldn't be happier. We're only 15 kms from the city, the airport is just over the bridge (and the new duplicate Gateway bridge is open and will make it even easier to get to the airport), and you can't beat weekends down the bay along the Wynnum/Manly foreshores plus enough cafes within short drives to keep you happy.

We built in a cul de sac and our kids have spent most of their lives playing in the street rather in our backyard. We have 14 kids in our street ranging from 1 to 15 and we've been really lucky that they have always just got on so its made life really pleasant - not to mention all the parents get on too. I could not imagine our kids having that sort of life if we stayed in Sydney.

anyway Brisbane Bayside (South of the bridge) has my vote and prices of houses are not too bad but may be a bit more than what they are after but still some reasonably good bargains around. I would probably suggest that they rent for 6 months if thats practical and get out and about and make sure they like an area before buying.

wish them luck for the move -
Wrecksie
Wrecksie
Captain Camping

Return to General Chit-Chat