Roughing it

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Roughing it

Postby Lin » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:45 pm

There seems to be this perception that most women don't like roughing it or at least need to be gently and very gradually prepared for it. It doesn't really fit in with my experience at all. Most of my female friends have no problem going tent camping at places without all the facilities and are more than capable of making do. They enjoy the whole bush experience as much as the men, regardless of how old they were when they started camping. In contrast, I've camped with men who hated getting dirty. On our last trip one of the men was nicknamed 'princess' by the girls. :lol:
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Roughing it

Postby mr_grumble » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:11 pm

In contrast, I've camped with men who hated getting dirty. On our last trip one of the men was nicknamed 'princess' by the girls.

Yes, we've encountered the same, not there's anything wrong with it.
I mean some people never leave the suburbs and when faced with the prospect of sleeping on the ground and eating on a treestump, they tend to feel out of place, in the same way I'd feel out of place dinning in a siut with an orchestra playing in the background.

I grew up in the country where virtually every school holidays, we camped by the Darling river, up to 7 weeks at a time. We were reasonably self sufficient with most of our food being sourced onsite, having said that we did bring along with us a generator which was pretty luxurious for 25 years ago :oops:

As for the rest, we bathed in the river, we drank the river water and washed our clothes in the river. We slept in an old vicount van in sleeping bags and entertained ourselves the best way we knew.

Once we had relatives from Sydney join us for a Christmas holidays there. They complained for the first few days but got used to the rougher style of living :roll:

Both kids and my Aunty came to really enjoy the experience, however my Uncle, well the whole time, he would whinge about everything, the dirt, the heat, washing in the dirty coloured river water etc...blah blah blah. Couldn't wait to get back to the familiar surrounds of Castle Hill :***
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:36 pm

Lin, I think the only women who don't like roughing it as you put it are those who have not been exposed to bush camping and the like.

Those who go camping and enjoy it certainly don't have an issue that is for sure, but there are many who think that to go camping means you have to rough it.

It has also been my experience that if the 'lady' does not enjoy camping then it will be off the agenda for evermore.

Generally speaking if the guy does not like camping 'she' will often go without him....however, it never (seldom) seems to be the other way round.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:08 pm

Hmmmmmmm. I go camping on my own. :booty
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:25 pm

Derek wrote:Hmmmmmmm. I go camping on my own.

So do I Derek....but neither or us would be afraid of 'roughing' it either.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby hoadie72 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:28 pm

I'm yet to have a GF who likes camping. They all have two issues with camping - the shower/toilet facilities, and creepy crawlies. My preference is to camp away from other people, so that means that at best there will be a long drop toilet (high ewww factor for most 'ladies' ) and a pretty good chance of spiders and bugs.

That's ok, because at least i don't have them whinging and complaining and wanting to go home. I'm more than happy to camp alone anyway :)
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby stevo. » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:12 am

hang on, i don't think anyone here is roughing it! everyone's got tents, stoves, sleeping bags, chairs, arvo drinks! :booty

and some even have camper trailers! ::()

:lol:
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:13 am

On this occasion Steve....'roughing it' is only relative to Lin's post which is not 'rough' in the true sense of the word when you look at how most of us here camp which is as you have pointed out.

There is no way I would take a shovel and dig a hole, to me that is a tad too rough BUT there are people (& probably more the fairer sex) who consider 'camping' in any form to be roughing it.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:23 am

By 'roughing' it I meant camping without showers or flush toilets (or any toilets) and with pretty basic gear. I don't find that rough either, but there seems to be this perception that most women can't go without their hot showers and squeaky clean flush toilets and running water etc. and I was just saying that most women I know are not like that.

I have a problem dealing with people who get all panicky about creepy crawlies too. As long as you don't have funnelwebs crawling into your sleeping bag, there's no harm in them! (I do hate flies though and will cover myself in repellent when they're out)

I didn't go camping as a child but I loved it from my first trip when I was about 17. I now look at my daughter who's been camping since she was 2 and I am so happy that she'll have those experiences. She is now 5 and won't complain about anything when camping. Least of all insects: she loves letting them crawl all over her, but has a healthy respect for spiders.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby stevo. » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:44 pm

heh yeah... i was only being cheeky, but i guess you probably know that, and i think it's great that there's so many chicks on this camping site. There's a couple of fellas i know that aren't in to camping, ... don't like sand, don't like all the hassle, and some that have to have all the luxuries. I don't like long drop toilets either, i think they're pretty gross , i'd rather have a shovel :oops:
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Titch » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:52 pm

stevo wrote:heh yeah... i was only being cheeky, but i guess you probably know that, and i think it's great that there's so many chicks on this camping site. There's a couple of fellas i know that aren't in to camping, ... don't like sand, don't like all the hassle, and some that have to have all the luxuries. I don't like long drop toilets either, i think they're pretty gross , i'd rather have a shovel :oops:

I agree with that, re minds me too much of a childhood,spent squatting over a tin can,in the out house, in the heat,with 400 blowflies. :? :? :?
The composting dunnies are much better.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:08 pm

I like the ones they usually have in the National Parks. Are they long drop toilets? As opposed to the ones they have at Mystery Bay, which isn't a long drop at all and during peak season you really, really don't want to look down because it'll make you feel sick. I only use them for number 2s at any time and always make sure we camp close to some bushes so we can go there for number 1s. It's usually also the only thing that can get me into the ocean (I love watching the ocean, don't like swimming in it): when I'm on the beach having an afternoon beer and cannot be bothered walking back to camp for a wee. :lol:
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:44 pm

I'm comfortable either way. I travel a fair bit for work which involves flying and staying in fairly nice accommodation. I don't mind the using airline lounges and the service at a 4 1/2 or 5 star hotel!

That said when we travel in the 4WD and camp in the bush we hardly rough it. We are on holidays so I don't see any reason not to 'indulge' in having chair, a porta-loo, a fridge and what not! Jo loves the fact that when we camp we can holiday cheaply and have the hound with us!

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Lin » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:56 pm

I remember how I used to camp when I was in my 20s: tiny igloo tent (I once went cycling through Ireland with a leaking tent!), thin yogy mat to sleep on and the only other gear I had was a basic sleeping bag, a one-burner hiking stove, one little cooking pot and a plate and cutlery.

Now you won't get me to go anywhere without a comfortable mattress and chair! And 2 pillows. Plus a big tent, a tarp if it rains and a good frying pan. And they're just the things that I can't do without. I lug a whole heap of other stuff with to make it more comfortable too!

But I'm still out there in the bush without all the luxuries we surround ourselves with at home. Don't mind the dirt or the insects or having no running water or toilets. And I won't go to caravan parks just to have those few extra luxuries.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby CampGrrlz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:10 pm

Lin wrote:I remember how I used to camp when I was in my 20s:

Ah yes, but weren't we bullet-proof then! :grin: Like my partner who in her 30s cooked a three-course Christmas dinner for nine people on a two-burner gas stove.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat