Roughing it

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Re: Roughing it

Postby Trugger » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:34 pm

Ive generally found that the wives/GF that stay away from camping dont have any real idea of what our camps actually look like.
My wife hated camping in a tent and never came not because we didnt have a toilet or shower but because she didnt like the tent and blowup mattress. Now we have a trailer and she loves it still doesnt really care if there is not a facilities block.
I must say she is a fair weather type of camper and doesnt enjoy the wet.

Trug
Trugger
Boy Scout

Postby Lin » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:11 pm

Oh, how can you not like a blow-up mattress?? I think they're the most comfortable things ever and I have a really bad back/neck. I sleep better on a blow-up than at home. And would definitely prefer it to the foam mattresses usually used in camper trailers.

And I love my tent! I just love looking up at the curved ceiling and my current one has skylights so I can look at the stars when I'm in bed. That's real luxury to me! :)
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:14 am

Lin wrote:Oh, how can you not like a blow-up mattress??

When they go down Lin....then it is most unpleasant to wake and find yourself flat out on the hard ground.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:41 am

gypsylady wrote:
Lin wrote:Oh, how can you not like a blow-up mattress??

When they go down Lin....then it is most unpleasant to wake and find yourself flat out on the hard ground.

at 2am! and don't want to get up to pump it again because you don't want to make all the noise :(
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:20 am

We had the worst luck with our blow up mattress!!!!! Would always go down.

Really spoilt now with the CT!!!! But still camp in spots with no facilities but trees and shovels!! :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Serenity Now » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:46 am

Everyones idea of roughing it is different,that's for sure.

I don't mind air mattresses most of the time ,i've had many a good nights sleep on them but when they go down as Stevo said in the middle of the night
oh boy not good.

I would rate one of the reasons that we will change to a CT from tents is the mattress situation,roughing it can change as you mmmm well mature maybe.

I don't pretend to like long drops of any description but usually the location easily outweighs the lack of facilities.
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Postby Lin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:12 pm

but usually the location easily outweighs the lack of facilities

Hear, hear!

All the admiring of the stunning ocean and bush views we get at our favourite spot leaves no time for thinking about things like hot showers or nice smelling toilets. :)
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:52 pm

I'm actually looking at way's to do it rougher :lol:

After always having a tent, air matress, doona, porta loo etc I am trying to simplify things even more. So I bought a basic type swag and all my cooking is now done by fire. :)

The only luxury item I do like to take is the portaloo. Not because I'm a wuss but because of hygene. The toilets that I've had to use should have warning signs on them !!
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby Titch » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:56 pm

[quote="Dodgy_Dave"]I'm actually looking at way's to do it rougher :lol:

After always having a tent, air matress, doona, porta loo etc I am trying to simplify things even more. So I bought a basic type swag and all my cooking is now done by fire. :)

The only luxury item I do like to take is the portaloo. Not because I'm a wuss but because of hygene. The toilets that I've had to use should have warning signs on them !![/quote]

Carry sandpaper instead of toilet paper,depending on how rough, buy the grit to suite. :P :P :P :P :P
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:12 pm

hahahaha well I do have a pack of pooo tickets which is kinda like sandpaper.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby GollyGee » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:38 am

but usually the location easily outweighs the lack of facilities

But but ...can it work the other way too? For those who prefer it rough :shock: , can you sometimes overlook a few facilities in return for a great location?

I'm pretty easy-going & don't really mind if I'm camping with facilities or not - it's more about the friends, locations, adventures that await than the facilities.

I don't really understand why a flushing toilet & hot shower detracts from a beautiful location for some?
GollyGee
Camping King

Postby Serenity Now » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:00 am

I was picking the kids up from an activity last night and one of the Mums i was talking to was quite curiuos that i had gone camping last w/e even though it was quite cold.

I told her that we went for 2 nights and she asked me were there showers there,i said yes but only cold ones and she said but where did you shower and i said that i didn't,she kinda looked at me a bit strange.

Oh well you get that. :***
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Postby Lin » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:50 am

"can you sometimes overlook a few facilities in return for a great location?"

Most definitely! But in our area that usually means putting up with relatively cramped and crowded conditions. And a lack of privacy is one thing I only very reluctantly put up with. I have to of course when we go camping over Xmas, but will do anything to avoid my view being blocked by other campers.

This post was merely about debunking the assumption that if you want to take your girlfriend or wife camping, you should go to a place with all the facilities first.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Redback » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:10 am

Lin wrote:I remember how I used to camp when I was in my 20s: tiny igloo tent (I once went cycling through Ireland with a leaking tent!), thin yogy mat to sleep on and the only other gear I had was a basic sleeping bag, a one-burner hiking stove, one little cooking pot and a plate and cutlery.

Now you won't get me to go anywhere without a comfortable mattress and chair! And 2 pillows. Plus a big tent, a tarp if it rains and a good frying pan. And they're just the things that I can't do without. I lug a whole heap of other stuff with to make it more comfortable too!

But I'm still out there in the bush without all the luxuries we surround ourselves with at home. Don't mind the dirt or the insects or having no running water or toilets. And I won't go to caravan parks just to have those few extra luxuries.

I did that for 6mths riding around Europe, Britan and Ireland, loved every minute of it.

Metho burner stove
Yoga mate and Pup tent, I'd do it again in a heartbeat :mrgreen:
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Previous

Return to General Chit-Chat