July trip

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Re: July trip

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:44 am

Lin wrote:Leaving Friday and probably coming back the Friday after. :grin:

Have a great camp and safe travelling Lin and remember the pics please.......
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Have an absolute ball Lin!! ::)
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:45 am

I have lots to post after this trip!

It was a bit of a challenge in some regards. I really had not considered the effect that the short days would have. We felt a bit like we spent most of our daylight hours preparing for the long night. Making sure that the dishes were done, water filled up, camp tidied up, basic dinner prep done and firewood prepared before the sun dipped behind the trees at 4.30pm. And needed heaps and heaps of firewood of course as that fire was sometimes going for 8 hours or more.

But what I absolutely loved was that we had the place almost to ourselves! The ranger told us that during the week we were one of only 4 groups of campers! This place accomodates hundreds of tents in peak season. There was noone between us and the track down to the main beach. It was so peaceful. We even saw some wildlife, possums and bandicoots and heaps of birds. You don't normally get to see those when it's very busy.

An unwanted kind off wildlife were the ticks. I had never had a tick there before. Now I had 2, my dog 2 also, my friend 1 and my daughter was the tick queen: I pulled 4 off her! Fortunately we discovered the first one just as we pulled up in Narooma for supplies, so went straight to the chemist and got a spray to kill the critters and some tick pullers. The latter were seriously overpriced at $16 for 2 tiny bits of plastic, but after effortlessly and efficiently removing 9 ticks with them they already paid for themselves!

We had some really nice sunny days and the beach to ourselves most days. And even the dog had a great time. She normally doesn't like camping much! But she even spent a couple of nights lying by the fire with us (as opposed to on our mattress in the tent!), had some fun chasing possums and bandicoots and - unfortunately for us - found some dead animal to roll in one early morning! Fortunately I always keep dog shampoo in the car.

Not sure if I will go camping in winter again in a hurry. The short days don't make it as worthwile. Though I might go back just with my daughter and go to bed early every night, that would be ok. I did enjoy the peace and quiet and the beautiful views and nature.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:52 pm

Glad to hear you had some good times Lin....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:04 pm

Lin wrote:
tick pullers. The latter were seriously overpriced at $16 for 2 tiny bits of plastic, but after effortlessly and efficiently removing 9 ticks with them they already paid for themselves!

Was it Tick Twister that you bought Lin??
http://www.hotofftheshelf.com.au/ticktwister.shtml

They are seriously good and as you say well worth the money. I have a set in my medical kit in the car all the time....never leave home without them.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:11 pm

Was it Tick Twister that you bought Lin??

Yep, they're the ones! I will always leave them in my glove box now. Together with the Scoot spray as I did like them being dead when pulling them out. There's something really creepy about tiny moving legs when you pull something out of someone's skin!

And at first I didn't know why they included that really tiny one as the first ones we found were quite big. But then I pulled off a couple that were not much bigger than pin heads!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby stevo. » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:56 pm

hah what will they think of next.. TickTwister .. that's funny... is it really painless though? is it any less painless than using tweezers?
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:05 pm

stevo wrote:is it any less painless than using tweezers?

Probably not so much painless but definitely easier to use.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:09 pm

Are Ticks painful?
never had one, just get covered in leeches all the time,they taste horrible when you get one in a sandwich.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:11 pm

The two I had made me sick and very tired......they can also be responsible for CFS
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:11 pm

nah you don't even feel them, but when you have to pull them out, it's like pulling out a splinter that's stuck in a mm or two, it just doesn't want to let go. Not really that painfull, just a little annoying.
stevo.

Postby stevo. » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:12 pm

gypsylady wrote:The two I had made me sick and very tired

that was probably the big night before :cheers
stevo.

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:24 pm

stevo wrote:
that was probably the big night before :cheers

I can assure it was the ticks....had them for about 36 hours before I realised I had them. Got a sore patch on my back/shoulder and when I got it checked.......sure enough...there were the little blighters.

Probably would not have been as bad if I had been recovering from a big night....little buggas would have been soaked too.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:59 pm

The tick twisters are very easy to use indeed. My 5yo used them to pull one out of my armpit! There's still a lump there though, so not sure if maybe there is a bit left in there after all.

They don't hurt but itch like mad if you don't get them all out.

Hate leeches! Fortunately not many round here.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby stevo. » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:22 pm

yeah Lin, they will be itchy for a week or so after,

leeches are soo much easier, i know they are all yucky and slimey but they are soo much better, they just suck blood and fall off, you can pull them off, or pour salt on them and they fall off.

Cool thing is to squish em and watch the blood splatter everywhere :armsup
stevo.

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit-Chat