Weather forecasts

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Weather forecasts

Postby Lin » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:15 pm

I do this every time before a trip. A couple of weeks before we leave I start checking the weather forecast for the region we're heading to, at least twice a day on 2 different websites.

I should've learnt by now that they cannot accurately predict the weather a week in advance. And even a day in advance, they are often wrong, which I have proven on many occasions. And noone can predict how scattered showers or thunderstorms are going to move! On many occasions we've had storm cells miss us by not much at all, sometimes on two sides at once! Or it only rains late at night when we're asleep. Or the shower only lasts half an hour.

But still I check nervously and wonder if we'll be able to go!

Any other weather forecast addicts out there?
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Weather forecasts

Postby stevo. » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:31 pm

I'm pretty accurate, i can predict the weather about an hour in advance and usually correctly. But not always :lol:

When we go out to Kingaroy / Gayndah, we always say it's ok, it never rains out there, but then when we arrive it starts raining.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:49 pm

Yep I do Lin.... Elder's weather site gets a pounding at work online and the weather channel on Austar at home.....just incase it was any different????? :***

Used to be able to predict the weather whenever we went camping because it would always start raining cats & dogs, thunder, lightening and blowing a gale just after setting the tent up :?# but have been lucky with the CT as we have only been through one storm so far......probably just cursed myself now. :$
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:51 pm

Yes I always check the weather report before hand just to get a rough idea. I use the Elders site too: http://www.eldersweather.com.au/
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:04 pm

Oh great, now you've given me a third one to check! :***
just incase it was any different?????

The ones I check can sometimes give very different forecasts for the region. I check http://www.weatherzone.com.au and http://www.weather.com.au

For Narooma next Thursday, one says 8-16, 40% chance of 10-20mm of rain. The other says 7-12. 0% chance of rain.

I always go with the one that I like best. :lol:
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:14 pm

Lin wrote:I always go with the one that I like best. :lol:

And how do you determine that Lin??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Redback » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:44 pm

I don't care what the weather is like or what it may be like, we just go and enjoy where we go no matter what the weather is like, it's all about getting away!!

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Lin » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:52 pm

I can deal with the odd shower, but not continuous heavy rain for days. Too many bad memories from my home country, I think!

If you have to stay under cover the whole time, I think I'd rather be home in front of the tele. And the dog hates rain too!

The forecast changes a few times each day too, so I keep checking.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:57 pm

I can forecast a storm coming on to the minute.
When I realise I forgot to put out the bins.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco532 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:58 pm

I think Gypsy sumed it up when she said ''To get a rough idea''........thats all the forcasters are good for ....

I simply pop my head out the nite before and look for the stars & cloud in the sky....That keeps me happy....and is not normally to far wrong.

Steve,,,,We did a day trip to Kingaroy to look at a new car trailer....was brilliant sunshine on the way there....with-in one hour we were lucky to get back as the roads were soon closed after a flash storm

Cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby stevo. » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:32 am

Rosco532 wrote:Steve,,,,We did a day trip to Kingaroy to look at a new car trailer....was brilliant sunshine on the way there....with-in one hour we were lucky to get back as the roads were soon closed after a flash storm

Cheers

That's a bit of a day trip there and back, the car trailer musthave been cheap!. We'll be out there next weekend, i'll take a raincoat :-bang
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby mr_grumble » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:08 am

I have about a 99% strike rate at predicting inclement weather.
If I utter the words camping, barbeque, fishing, concreting or car polishing, as sure as death and taxes, it'll be bucketing down within 20 minutes :--?

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:23 pm

mr_grumble wrote:If I utter the words camping, barbeque, fishing, concreting or car polishing, as sure as death and taxes, it'll be bucketing down within 20 minutes :--?

Steve

You could make a lot of money from that Steve, you could become the 'Rainman'......
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GollyGee » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:43 pm

I can do that too Steve! I just have to use the word 'holiday' and then as soon as I arrive at my destination rain records will be broken. It's a big joke in my family.

I'm a tad obsessed by the BOM radar Lin and check that frequently. It started as a scooter riding thing and grew into something more.
:lol:
GollyGee
Camping King

Postby Rosco532 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:37 pm

Steve....We only live in Strathpine.....198km...or about 1 1/2 hrs drive....and yes,,,the price was right, BUT a very old pic used in the advert....looked nothing like that in real life....(Dolly Trailer for behind our bus)
Theres a couple of nice spots out there for over-nite camps as well.....
Cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat