Interesting fact.

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Re: Interesting fact.

Postby MDC » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:39 pm

Rosco532 wrote:Bi Jingos MDC....If you are just one person and you have had that many Disputes,,,,makes one wonder how many are happening each day....and because we don't all check these things...are the retailers often getting away with it....
We have only had one that I'm aware of and that was with Avis getting double charged from her hair dresser.....Normally I wouldn't have picked it up but because she only goes every 6---8 weeks it stood out when it appeared twice.

Cheers

I live of my charge card for work and personal expenses. I travel a fair bit so usual week of transactions has breakfast, lunch, dinner every day, airfares, cabs, car hire, hotel - anything that gets expensed back to the company.

I'm just glad that it didn't come out of my pocket. I've heard horror stories of people disputing charges on a Debit card only to be stuck without the money for 6 months+. You have to wonder, with an Amex it's their money so they fight for it. With a Debit card, it's your money - will the bank fight hard for it? Nope, not their problem.
MDC
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:42 pm

MDC wrote:
With a Debit card, it's your money - will the bank fight hard for it? Nope, not their problem.

I've not had any problems thus far....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:31 pm

I disagree and I speak from experience. I had someone use my Visa debit card details to make multiple payments to car classifieds websites every couple of days for a month. Yes, i know, that's how rarely I check my account! It added up to over $1400 by the time I discovered! I'm with a credit union and as usual their service was fantastic. I took in my statement with the disputed transactions highlighted, they filled in a form and faxed it off (and ordered me a new card while I was there) and about 2 weeks later the money was back in my account. Ok, it was a bit of a wait, but you will pretty much always get your money back.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ricklanga » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:43 pm

A few years back the wife & I decided to swap our CBA credit card for a St. George because of the better interest rate. We filled out the application online & were approved instantly. It then occured to me that we were not asked to state how much credit we wanted. I jokingly said to the wife that we might have a credit limit of $20, 000 & I'd better phone the bank the next day to find out. Sure enough I was informed that we did have a $20, 000 credit limit. I told the girl I only wanted $1000 & she got a bit narky & said if I did that I could not change it for another 6 months. I told her I would not want to increase the limit in 6 months & to just change it to $1000. The scary thing is that we could have been lying throug our teeth about our income & such when we filled out the application & we were still given $20, 000. It is far to easy to get one of these things, no wonder so many people get into so much debt.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby MDC » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:35 pm

Rick, we had a similar issue when we tried to lower the credit limit on a citibank visa. It had a $20k limit and they would only lower it to $7500. Any lower and we would have to cancel the card and get a different product. Credit has been too easy to get recently and it's way to easy to get anything you need on finance. I'm sure a vast number of people finance their camper trailers.

I have been in a position where I was carrying way too much debt than I could afford (thanks to a company that folded and left me with the debt) and it is a difficult cycle to break. It really is a shame that financial education isn't deemed to be mandatory in our school curriculum. I know too many people aged 20-35 that don't view credit card and personal loan debt as something to worry about.

(Apologies for the rant)
MDC
Captain Camping

Postby cokebottle » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:45 pm

MDC wrote: Credit has been too easy to get recently and it's way to easy to get anything you need on finance.

Very true, years ago when I first started working & was on apprentice mechanic wages (a little under $100 per week) I tried to get a bankcard with a limit of $500 & I was refused, then I tried to get a personal loan for $2000 to buy a car...again refused! even though I was living at home with my parents & had no bills, I was not even paying board!

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:57 pm

They are no good for low income earners or single people like myself,mine was up tp $3ooo so i cut it up with the scissors and it has taken me 18 months to get it down to $200 when i pay that i am closing the account,when i need something over the net that requires a credit card i use my sisters and give her the cash..My young flat mate has got himself in debt getting loans, credit cards ,then he consolidates and gets another card to the point where he is moving back to mum because he has no money to live on..
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Previous

Return to General Chit-Chat