Opinions

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Opinions

Postby bonger » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:03 pm

So everyone

Fridges are always a hot topic. I have been speaking with a few mates regarding the expensive fridges (waeco, Engel) and have always had the 'nah, mate, Engels are way better' or the 'Waecos are the way to go'

So my question is, what do you all think. An Engel, or a Waeco, or a cheaper brand (no brand) that does the same thing?

Cheers
Mitsi Challenger, 06 Trackabout Deluxe Tourer, Wife, Child and Dog. Sometimes not in that order :P
bonger
Camping King

Re: Opinions

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:06 pm

Are you talking specifically 12/240 or 3 way bonger??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:35 pm

Bonger we have had a Primus 60L 2 way fridge/freezer (12/240) for a couple of years now and it's not missed a beat....was around the $900 mark though but came with cover etc....

It mainly stays in the back of the Prado but when on powered sites we have it in the annexe on a fridge stand.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:38 pm

You can't beat a proper 12/240v refrigerator. Engel/Waeco are the two leading brands, of the two I'll someday buy a Engel cause I know a lot of people with Engels that have lasted over a decade.

That said, my cheapy is still doing fine after about 5 years of neglect, actually it's better than fine, it's perfect. So in my opinion for the massive price difference, a cheapy can be worth it if you don't have the $1000+ for a name brand.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:41 pm

This is a picture of what we have Bonger but in just grey not the flash SS that they make now

http://www.amazonoutdoors.com.au/e2Shop/uploads/330/Primus%20591760_60ltr_fridge.jpg

Fridge stand:

http://www.ryda.com.au/v/vspfiles/photos/ACFRIDGESTAND-2T.jpg

Pictures are always better than descriptions.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Titch » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:43 pm

We have a Waeco 50 litre,why?, at the time it was cheaper than an Engel and had more room inside as it has a butter section.
I have a 35 litre Waeco as well,why?it was cheap at the time.
It runs 24/7 in my work van and is used as a freezer when on Hols.
At the time I was pushed in the Waeco direction Because I believe ? they use less amp hours per day to run.
Cost was my main factor,3 years and no regrets.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby bonger » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Great, it does seem to come down to personal choice, which is why I am swayed on an engel. Just seem a little tougher :)

keep them coming though, i looked at a site on ebay that had 3 ways for around the 400 mark that said came out of the same factory of waeco without the waeco badging, i checked details and they are on the money for them being virtually 95% the same, I always find a little bit of dodgyness goes on with that sort of thing though. Still, had a 12 month warranty on it.
Mitsi Challenger, 06 Trackabout Deluxe Tourer, Wife, Child and Dog. Sometimes not in that order :P
bonger
Camping King

Postby bonger » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:56 pm

Ps - Xmasbaby, good pics. Primus have always made good camp gear. We have two primus camp chairs that I have had for almost 8 years. Only now are they starting to wear.
bonger
Camping King

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:05 am

Thanks Bonger. :cheers

Yes our mate owns the store from where we bought our fridge from and we know a few mates in our industry (construction) that have them in the back of their utes 24/7 (all the utes have the canvas covers so they are not out in the weather) but they had great things to say about them and the abuse they can take so that's what swayed us in the end. Plus our mate gave us a pretty good price too. ::)

Our fridge also goes on some job sites when we are working out of town too.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby tezzaglen » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Hi Guy's
after 4yrs of researching fridges we have just bought ourselves a bushman fridge more for the fact that it can be used as 35,42,45,52 litres using the interchangeable lids and extension collar which are all included in the price as well as an insulated travel bag
the power usage is Approx 16AMP hours a day set @ -4 C with an ambient temperature of +25 C

cost as of the start of july is $1150.00

www.bushman.com.au
tezzaglen
Camping King

Postby bonger » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:12 am

The bushman. jsut to throw another one into the mix :D
bonger
Camping King

Postby bonger » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:24 am

tezzaglen

Do the Collars provide a good seal? there is no loss of cold air through cracks or anything like that?
bonger
Camping King

Postby dea » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:11 pm

We bought a 80l cheapie one of eBay for $469 .. It is perfect and has never missed a beat.. We also have a 3way we got of the inlaws think it's a 40l .. We take both of them every trip.. We wanted to get a waeco but this one is just as good if not better.. We run it for a couple of hours on gene when
bush camping .. If we at a spot that can't use the gene we just use car battery.. It's never drained battery at all .. We love it .. Good luck
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:34 pm

What brand was it Dea?
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:19 pm

tezzaglen wrote:the power usage is Approx 16AMP hours a day set @ -4 C with an ambient temperature of +25 C

Tezzaglen, this power usage will increase when the temps go above the 25 degrees so be prepared for that, won't you??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat