Kiama to Wagga

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Kiama to Wagga

Postby Lin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:25 am

A Belgian family that I've met online has just migrated to Australia. They arrived in Sydney and intend to settle in Adelaide. They're doing some sight seeing along the way, though I think they are supposed to be in Adelaide in about a week. They're currently in Kiama (bit South of Wollongong) and are trying to decide how to go from there to Wagga Wagga.

Any suggestions about the most interesting route and points of interest along the way? They're not used to Australian roads yet, so I advised them against Princess/Kings Highway as those are fairly daunting for a Belgian driver used to straight 6-lane freeways!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Kiama to Wagga

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:15 pm

Lin wrote: fairly daunting for a Belgian driver used to straight 6-lane freeways!

OMG...our roads will be a nightmare for them by comparison.

Sorry Lin, I personally don't know the area but someone will pop along soon with some info I am sure.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Done this often.
Hope this comes out.
Kiama NSW
1. Head south-east towards Terralong St 56 m
2. Exit the roundabout onto Terralong St Go through 1 roundabout 1.6 km
3. Continue onto Jamberoo Rd 7.0 km
4. Continue onto Allowrie St 750 m
5. Slight right at Churchill St 1.0 km
6. Take the 3rd left on to Jamberoo Mountain Rd 22.9 km
7. Turn left at Illawarra Hwy 24.2 km
8. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit and stay on Illawarra Hwy 13.5 km
9. Turn left to merge onto Hume Hwy 69.4 km
10. Slight right to stay on Hume Hwy 204 km
11. Take the ramp onto Sturt Hwy Go through 2 roundabouts 45.0 km
12. Turn right at Baylis St 1.0 km

Wagga Wagga NSW

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&q= ... a=N&tab=wl

Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Titch » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:39 pm

Meant to add, a side trip to Canberra is definitely a worthwhile trip.
Being from Belgium they would enjoy the War memorial and the tributes the Belgium country gave our Peoples.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:40 pm

If they can afford to make the detour, I think Canberra would be a good stop for them. I think they're dazzled by the beaches though and want to spend more time there. Nothing like it in Belgium either. But plenty of war memorials there. ;)

I suggested Wee Jasper to them for stop, but it will be a lot colder there than at the coast.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby hoadie72 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:50 am

That's a pretty good route and they'll get to see the Southern Highlands and gives them the option of Canberra and/or Yass.. if they were to split it across two days, as you said they like the coast (Belgium's not famous for it's beaches is it!), then down to Batemans Bay then Canberra, or even Bermagui then Cooma would be a fantastic trip for them.

PS, I've been to Belgium, it's not all 6 lane highways!
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby Lin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:43 am

Hoadie, I grew up in Belgium. :) They actually have one of the most dense road networks in the world, so lots of little roads too. But there's definitely no hairy mountain roads there. ;)

Which is why I advised them against doing the Batemans to Canberra trip as even the Clyde would probably stress them out by the sound of it. I quite like that road though when it's not busy. It's quite beautiful. I did tell them that Batemans isn't worth stopping at. I don't like the place much. Though admittedly, there are some nice beaches there in the surrounding NPs.

As it turns out, they ended up driving to Jervis Bay. And are now considering coming to Canberra after all. They want to be in Adelaide by 14 August, but I assume they cannot drive too many hours a day as they have 3 smallish kids with them and aren't used to driving long distances.

I'm sure they would love the Bermagui area (I do!) but that's quite a detour to make. And they could get unlucky and find the road blocked by snow on the way to Cooma? I remember a friend telling me that that happened to her once this time of the year. Not that I've seen any decent snow on the mountains yet from here...
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby hoadie72 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:53 am

I think they'd have to be unlucky to get snowed in on that road, and if they did I think it would be only for one day. Could be a problem if you have tight deadlines to meet!

For you to imply that Belgium is flat, you must be Flemish! lol

Have they decided on a route to Adelaide?
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:01 pm

Sorry Lin I didn't reply earlier!!! ....damn work

Do they need to go to Wagga? If not I would go though Albury as it's quite pretty especially on the river. If I was travelling from Jervis bay to Adelaide I would chose this route as it has some of the places we have been to and would love to go back to and also has some places we would love to go to, especially with the kids.

Here's the route I would take:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Here's some of the places we would go back and stay at:

Deniliquin, stayed at this CP right on the river and it was beautiful.
http://deniliquin-paringa-holiday-park.nsw.big4.com.au/

Swan Hill, loved the CP we stayed at and more importantly so did the kids. The pioneer village here is also fantastic to visit.
http://swan-hill-pioneer-city-tourist-park.vic.big4.com.au/
http://www.pioneersettlement.com.au/

Haven't stayed in Albury but heard fantastic things. Cant wait to stay at the other locations I have put in as they are on our "list".
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:23 pm

Sorry Lin the google map didn't work so these are the stops I would do.

Jervis Bay to Canberra - 3.5hrs approx
Canberra to Albury - 4 - 4.5hrs
Albury to Deniliquin(via Rutherglen) - 3 hrs
Deni to Swan Hill - 2.5hrs
Swan Hill to Mildura (stopping off to check out Robinvale) - 2.5 to 3hrs
Mildura to Renmark - 2hrs
Renmark to Murray Bridge - 3hrs
Murray Bridge to Adelaide - 1hr

If they left Jervis Bay tomorrow and stopped one night in each place they would get to Adelaide by the 13th.

Just the way I would love to go but others might have some better ideas..... :armsup
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks XB, have passed it on to them. I haven't been to any of those places, except the Albury train station on the way back from Melbourne to Canberra.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:05 pm

Along the Murray is just lovely. We have only been up as far as Swan Hill and want to do from Mildura up some time in the next couple of years....fingers crossed!! :armsup

Titch was on the Murray not long ago on a houseboat so he may know the other places a little better....
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby hoadie72 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:38 pm

If they have the time, the Great Ocean Road would be better, then head across to Adelaide via Mt Gambier.
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby Lin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:56 pm

Via Melbourne was their original plan, but as said, they're not used to long distance driving and their kids start asking "are we there yet" 10 mins into the journey. And they are also having trouble dragging their kids away from the Kiama beaches (where they were staying again yesterday) and the husband has to start work in Adelaide on 14 August.

It's very excited to hear their first impressions. I wish they'd come live closer and I'd show them Mystery Bay and Wee Jasper and Mimosa Rocks NP and all my favourite camping and walking spots that are so totally the opposite of built-up, overcrowded Belgium!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to General Chit-Chat