Dobbing in Litter makers

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Dobbing in Litter makers

Postby Titch » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:19 pm

Your thoughts.
Just after our big fires down her a year and a half ago,I was sitting behind a bloke at the lights waiting to turn.
I could not believe what I saw, he flicked a lit cigarette butt out his window into a grass verge.
I noted his number plate, time, etc and emailed the Victorian EPA.
Normally I would not dob ,but I saw red.
Got this email from the EPA today.

View this newsletter online | Update your profile | Confirm Subscription | Unsubscribe

NAME CHANGED
Titch

It’s been a while since we have received a litter report from you.

It is because of people like you who report litter thrown from vehicles, that our program is so successful in raising public awareness of the major environmental problem of litter.

We would like to know why you have not submitted a litter report recently and invite you to complete a short survey. From this survey, we hope to gain your feedback on the program and the reasons why you have not reported for some time. We will then endeavour to provide you with the information you need, to encourage you to get back on board.

To access the survey click here. Please complete the survey by Friday 20 August 2010.

EPA Victoria issued 15,117 litter fines in the 09/10 financial year. However, we need more people like you who care about our environment to continue to be our ‘eyes’ out on the road.

Your support and contribution is valued and an essential part in helping combat this serious environmental problem in Victoria.

If you have any questions or concerns about this survey or EPA's litter reporting program, please contact (removed as well)

Regards

Litter Reporting Team - Pollution Response Unit

EPA Victoria

Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Dobbing in Litter makers

Postby hoadie72 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:40 am

Many years ago I worked with a bloke who was a member of the Keep Australia Beautiful Council in WA. He said that in general complaints, like you made, that nothing will come of them, as legally you're not in a position to issue fines etc and your word carries no more weight that then other persons. What's to stop someone from maliciously dob someone in? Members of the Keep Australia Beautiful Council are allowed to issue fines, even volunteer members, as they are vetted and trained etc.

Now this was in the mid-95s so laws may have changed, and may vary from state to state, but if you're really concerned about the ineffectiveness of your EPA, then maybe there's a similar option available to you in Vic?

BTW, I'd have been pissed off too.. and would have considered reporting him/her to the cops as a firebug lol
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby HGMonaro » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:53 am

What's to stop someone from maliciously dob someone in?

yep, this worries me about these programs. Same for 'noisy' or 'poluting' cars, not to mention 'hoon' driving. I once got a letter in the mail stating that a police officer thought my car was too noisy and I had to take it to get checked (turned out it was, but I'm sure that although it's now legal, people would stiil think it's too noisy... it can be loud when you stomp on the throttle :) ).

We have several people in our estate that we've observed washing their cars (incl one neighbour that we don't get on with) during water restrictions. Do I dob the neighbour in (which I'd love to do!) but risk them finding out and getting more narky!

Edit: Forgot to ask, what's going to be your response? Have you done the survey?
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Art » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:09 pm

I certainly don't like the "Why haven't we heard from you lately?" tone of the letter,
but I do become offended over litter in National Parks.
The real small pieces of litter annoy me the most.
"Boy Scout" my Ass, I Climb Mountains Baby!
Art
Captain Camping

Postby Titch » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:23 pm

HGMonaro wrote:
What's to stop someone from maliciously dob someone in?

yep, this worries me about these programs. Same for 'noisy' or 'poluting' cars, not to mention 'hoon' driving. I once got a letter in the mail stating that a police officer thought my car was too noisy and I had to take it to get checked (turned out it was, but I'm sure that although it's now legal, people would stiil think it's too noisy... it can be loud when you stomp on the throttle :) ).

We have several people in our estate that we've observed washing their cars (incl one neighbour that we don't get on with) during water restrictions. Do I dob the neighbour in (which I'd love to do!) but risk them finding out and getting more narky!

Edit: Forgot to ask, what's going to be your response? Have you done the survey?

Yes I did the survey,and the crunch of the reply was If I dobbed a lit smoke being dumped again,I want feedback.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Ricklanga » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:32 pm

About ten years back I was on my way home from work. Traffic was at a virtual standstill as there was a large grass fire on the side of the road and visibility was down. I was sitting in my car watching the firies putting out the fire when the person in the car in front of me threw a lit cigarette out of his window. I couldn't believe the arrogant stupidity of the man & this unfortunately is something I see all the time.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby Lin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:48 pm

Same for 'noisy' or 'poluting' cars

I remember someone once telling me that she used that to get revenge on anti-social drivers. She'd note their number plate and send a complaint about their car being dodgy, so they'd have to get it checked. I once considered doing this myself when a truck ran me off the cycle lane when I was riding the push bike to work. I had a child on the back of the bike and if I would've been a tiny tad faster, I wouldn't have been able to avoid him running into us. But in the end I didn't because it's dishonest, even though I did think the guy deserved to have his day spoiled!

I don't know what you could do about the littering (and potential fire starting). Surely they'd have to catch them in the act to be able to fine them?
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:51 pm

I was run off the road by a truck driver and I noted the company and rang their head office and complained about what had happened, where and when.

I was advised that the driver would be spoken to…..now whether or not that ever happened I do not know but it sure made me feel good at the time.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:05 pm

Usually the big truck companies & some smaller ones(our local carrier does) have their trucks GPS'd so they know where they are all the time, that way then they know which truck and driver it was if you give them the location where you just saw them, so hopefully they did speak to him.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby stevo. » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:25 pm

titch wrote:he flicked a lit cigarette butt out his window into a grass verge.

you need to jump out and grab the lit cig butt and throw it back in to his back seat, and say "here you go, you dropped this" :twisted:
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:40 pm

Great idea Stevo!!!!!!

Imagine the guys face.....ROTFLMHO ::()
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby stevo. » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:46 pm

heh yeah, just make it's out of his reach so it burns his seats :lol:
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:49 pm

stevo wrote:heh yeah, just make it's out of his reach so it burns his seats :lol:

GREAT in theory...not sure how it would go in reality though
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:05 pm

The guy would be too busy trying to get the butt out of the backseat, which would give you enough time to make a quick getaway..... :*** :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco532 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:18 pm

Its A....holes like this that give us smokers a bad name.....I can assure you, we are not all like this....but unfortunatly, are all tarred by the same brush...
We never smoke around non-smokers ,never smoke inside and never leave butts lying on the ground.

Rosco
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat