Site update & bugs

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Re: Site update & bugs

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:47 pm

OK...the control + - key works but then it makes the whole view and text very small and somewhat difficult to read so overall will not suit.

Next issue is....I have to keep going back to the Board Index in order to get the View New Posts option.....can this be changed so that it is as it was on the old forum??

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby hoadie72 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:42 pm

The Admins need to test this skin at different resolutions in different browsers. In Firefox at 100% zoom level at 1024x768 it doesn't display the entire forum page on my screen, I have to scroll right to display things like forum page numbers and so forth. I'd like to get rid of the box to the left of the screen that presumably has my avatar.
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby stevo. » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:32 am

Yeah Ben, i think a different theme/template/skin should be tried, get rid of that picture on the left because why would we want one there anyway? :lol:

I think the site is being run by a dating site host now (Oasis) and they probably have a small selection of approved templates in their stock, so i don't think we'll have much choice there. These would be templates they've paid for.

If the left pic was removed, or a different template used, it should be a wide table one so the forum area fills the width of the screen, so there's not so much clutter of text in a small thin space. Computer screens are landscape, and this forum is portrait (image terms).
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:01 am

How interesting is that?? I logged in from work this morn and soon there after got reduced to Guest User status....but can still post under GL.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:22 am

Got kicked out again and had to re login.....this is getting boring....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Joy - Support . » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:09 pm

Gypsy Lady & Hoadie.

Yes the resolution is suppose to be 1024 I can see now that you mentioned it the forum page (only) is pushing it just beyond that so we are looking to see why and will revert back to you. But the upshot is we should be able to have it back to 1024 in the short term and in the longer term possibly a switch to turn on or off your profile pic for those who like a full screen forum.

Gypsy Lady: it is hard to say why you would be getting logged out at work. We are still tidying up a few structural issues within the forum so this may fix it however as this is a larger site and newer forum security has become a larger priority so it could be more reactive to firewalls at your office. But I would need more detail to say for sure. In terms of internal navigational issues i.e. you said something about a next post button missing this should be able to be resolved can you just run by me what that was again specifically what button or link and where it was missing a from.

In terms of Stevo's comments about the oasis site, the answer is ‘sort of’; this is a shared template so there are a few bits and pieces of content (wordings) that we have not fully moved across yet i.e. the FAQ, the original email confirm etc. but give us a few days and we will have it done. We can customize and we are happy to hear any recommendations but keep in mind some things are easy and others not so easy…

But keep the issues coming in as specific as possible they all help.
Joy - Support .

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:44 pm

[quote="Joy - Support ."]
Gypsy Lady: it is hard to say why you would be getting logged out at work.

It happens at home too Joy...not just at work. Today is the first time I have even be able to get onto the forum from work since the change.

In terms of internal navigational issues i.e. you said something about a next post button missing this should be able to be resolved can you just run by me what that was again specifically what button or link and where it was missing a from.

It is the View New Posts button and is only available from the Board Index. Once I go into a folder and/or post I always have to go back to the Board Index in order to activate the View New Posts option.

We can customize

Well that is good to see...fingers crossed!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:52 pm

I am with you Gypsy.....I absolutely hate that pic on the left of the screen and have to scroll across all the time which is driving me nuts!!!!!

I have the pic and profile name on the right of my posts so I don't see the need for the big one on the right????

Stevo you must be having an absolute ball!!!! :beer

Titch I went into settings and actually changed my name to xmasbaby67 as it was bringing up my name not my user name???? Give that a try.

A bit of a warning that the changes were coming would have been nice though....
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Joy - Support . » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:21 pm

Gypsy Lady:

The fact that you are getting logged out at home as well may be a good thing as it narrows it down. But we will be doing regular updates as we go on today so hopefully this will fix most of these issues. But keep me posted.

The nav issue should be straight forward I will look into it.

The resolution issue is not actually the profile pic it is the forum pushing the screen out past 1024. Doe's anyone have to scroll on any other pages other then the forum?

In terms of a warning I know Andrew had posted a poll and numerous other posts noting a major update was imminent and did post a notice the night before the change. However when the forum was moved across about 6 hours of posts were lost. The thing is I know the company had to do it at midnight on a day that generally is not too busy it did involve numerous techs who had to be coordinate (who were on and off for weeks about working at midnight) so it was complicated. I think in terms of major shifts this one was not too bad, we have a little tidying up of the templates and forum left but were getting there. Yes please excuse the dating content here and there it will be removed over the next few days. We do appreciate your support over the change but I think we all recognize it was needed. As Komodo mentioned (thank you for the positive note) the forum should be a lot faster now and you have more features to explore.
Joy - Support .

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:13 pm

Kim J wrote:

Titch I went into settings and actually changed my name to xmasbaby67 as it was bringing up my name not my user name???? Give that a try.

A bit of a warning that the changes were coming would have been nice though....

I totally agree on the 'advice first'...would have been very nice.

AD did say some time ago that there would be some change and that it would be minimal and that the only difference we would see on the forum was the need to log in using our email address.

Well if this is minimal....I'd hate to see something major!!!!

Titch has already tried that XB and it did not work for him.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:15 pm

Kim J wrote:"Stevo you must be having an absolute ball!!!! :beer"

yeah, i just wish it was a Friday night so i could have a few beers and watch :cheers

I think Joy might be looking forward to the weekend, when she can sit in a dark corner and rock back and forth mumbling the words "crazy camping forum people" :***

and is waynew our new dating administrator? :booty
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:25 pm

Joy - Support . wrote:Gypsy Lady:

The fact that you are getting logged out at home as well may be a good thing as it narrows it down. But we will be doing regular updates as we go on today so hopefully this will fix most of these issues. But keep me posted.

Well, it just happened again....

The nav issue should be straight forward I will look into it.

The resolution issue is not actually the profile pic it is the forum pushing the screen out past 1024. Doe's anyone have to scroll on any other pages other then the forum?

Yes all of them

In terms of a warning I know Andrew had posted a poll and numerous other posts noting a major update was imminent and did post a notice the night before the change.

Seems fuuny that no one saw that post AND the poll was a long time ago and overall most were not too happy about too much in the way of change.

The general opinion was 'if it ain't broke....it don't need fixing'.

However when the forum was moved across about 6 hours of posts were lost. The thing is I know the company had to do it at midnight on a day that generally is not too busy it did involve numerous techs who had to be coordinate (who were on and off for weeks about working at midnight) so it was complicated. I think in terms of major shifts this one was not too bad,

Thank you Joy....you admitted it was major and not minimal as we'd originally been advised.

While we are on the subject, maybe someone can tell us exactly why it was needed??

we have a little tidying up of the templates and forum left but were getting there. Yes please excuse the dating content here and there it will be removed over the next few days.

That will be nice, thank you.

We do appreciate your support over the change but I think we all recognize it was needed.

Don't think we are all convinced that it was needed, maybe 'preferred' is a closer to the mark.

As Komodo mentioned (thank you for the positive note) the forum should be a lot faster now and you have more features to explore.

'More Features' are not something most of us are especially interested in. I think overall we just like being able to chat and don't have a lot of need for More Features.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:27 pm

BTW....I can now see the Font colour options.....one down.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby linv » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:26 pm

Can log in, but cannot post??? I think. This is a test.
linv
Boy Scout

Postby linv » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:26 pm

Great. I now have a new profile and lost all of my history.
linv
Boy Scout

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit-Chat