My New Laptop

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Re: My New Laptop

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:59 am

FINALLY....got it sorted last night and I won.....got Skype onto my new lappy...now all I have to do is win one with Telstra re my pre paid wireless not working!!

I currently have 3 computers sitting on my desk at home and have to move the internet connection between the 3 depending on which one I am using....frustrating!!
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:06 am

Why do you have and use three computers?!!!!
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:41 am

stevo. wrote:Why do you have and use three computers?!!!!

I have a very old desktop PC and almost as old laptop and bought the new laptop to replace the old ones.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby sienna » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:52 am

Glad you got skype sorted. I think you can cancel your credit and it gets refunded back to you. I've never had to do it but I think I remember reading it somewhere. This could be an option if you can't get your old account working.
I noticed that you said you had to unplug the internet cable depending on which computer you were using. Why don't you buy a wirless router (not d-link brand cos they are much chop) which you plug you main internet cable into and it generates a wireless network in your house which you can then access with any computer at any time? That's what I did here at home. You just have to make sure you put passwords on it to protect yourself from idle passing hackers etc and off you go.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:57 am

Thanks sienna....I have wireless for when travelling and don't want it at home.

It is normally not a problem as I only require one PC online. Plus the cost is far greater than what I am currently paying with my cable provider.

The situation just called for the 3 of them to be hooked to the Internet in order to sort my issues and it was not a complaint as such but rather a tongue in cheek comment…a funny!!

I thought I had already mentioned that Skype is sorted so longer an issue re the credit…I am very happy that I had a victory and can access my original account.

Now all I have to do is get my prepaid wireless sorted and it will all be good......I want it all sorted and running smoothly before I head off on my road trip in November.

Going to give some of the 'hotspots' a go too....never used them before.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:05 pm

What general areas are you going to see on your big trip?

Does this mean if you're out in the sticks we wont see you on the forum for weeks?!!! ::()
stevo.

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:06 pm

stevo. wrote:What general areas are you going to see on your big trip?

Are you talking BIG trip or November trip Steve??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:07 pm

stevo. wrote:Does this mean if you're out in the sticks we wont see you on the forum for weeks?!!! ::()

You don't think you could be that lucky....do you Steve??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:11 pm

GypsyLady wrote:
stevo. wrote:What general areas are you going to see on your big trip?

Are you talking BIG trip or November trip Steve??

ahh you're trying to confuse me again. Are there two trips? Did i miss that information? oops.

When's the BIG trip? Where are both trips going?
stevo.

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:31 pm

The Big trip will be in May - June next year when I head outback again Steve.

The November trip has no real itinerary at this point....just wanderings but I will be going to Yamba and Corindi Beach to catch up with friends.

Not sure how far south at this point but I will be coming home via the Newell and visiting friends along the way as well as sightseeing and Camping.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:54 am

GypsyLady wrote:[color=#4000FF]Thanks sienna....I have wireless for when travelling and don't want it at home.

It is normally not a problem as I only require one PC online. Plus the cost is far greater than what I am currently paying with my cable provider.

Gyps I think your getting wireless network confused with wireless internet or 3G/nextG internet. 3G internet access is indeed a far more expencive option (although we are seeing prices falling fast) where as wifi or wireless networks are a once off cost and enable more than one computer to connect to your cable/aDSL/wireless internet at a time wirelessly

What sienna is suggesting is that you get a wireless router which plug into your cable modem and distributes your cable internet wirelessly through your house using the 802.11 / wifi standard over the 2.4ghz &/or 5ghz band. IE its like having a free wifi "hotspot" in your house that only you can access.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:11 pm

Oh on the benefits side of things for wifi. I have wifi here are work now and I have an iphone (although any of the newer "smart phones" should have similar apps available). I connect to my wifi network with my iphone and make free skype calls as if im talking on my mobile just freely walking about the office and factory! This was great when my boss (dad) was over in the UK for 3 weeks earlier this year.

Also our account payable girl (aka mum) uses a laptop which she also uses at home. before I installed the wifi here at work she woudl have to plug an ethernet cable in. doing this several times a week was damaging cables and I was wary of it damaging the socket eventually too. Since upgrading to wifi here at work she comes in plugs the power in and away she goes. They also have wifi at home so she doesnt plug into the network at home either. Also I have my iphone setup so it logs in automatically at home at work and at mum and dads via wifi and it checks my emails. This is great for me as it allows me to spend more time at home!

At mum and dads they have one printer, one adsl connection, one PC two laptops and three iphones all of which can / are connected to the internet together and the only one actually plugged in via ethernet is the PC all the others opperate wirelessly. They are also looking at a wireless internet radio and Im looking into how to extend the wireless range to the shed so dad can have an old PC in the shed to look up information when working on his cars or so he can make up an email to send to work (or his PC) about material or items he needs to get / order
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Previous

Return to General Chit-Chat