Daylight savings

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Re: Daylight savings

Postby Lin » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:41 pm

I've been in countries were the sun sets at 9-9.30pm and it really is not a comfortable feeling to be walking around at that time of night with the sun still shining in some weird twilight.

Are you serious??? In Belgium, where I grew up, the sun sets after 10pm in the middle of summer and I really, really miss that. Long twilights too and I find the light absolutely gorgeous. It's such a different lifestyle when you still have natural light close to midnight. The place really comes alive at night that time of the year. Then of course you have the downside which is that in winter you only get sunlight from about 9.30am till 4pm, so you can have days where you just don't see any natural light if you work inside.

And I agree that the going to bed when it's still light is only a mindset. I grew up accepting that that is just what you do during summer. Just like I had to get up and go to school in the pitch dark in winter.

The main reason why I let my daughter go to bed later in summer is that we don't have aircon and it would be impossible to get to sleep before sunset. She copes...
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosco1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:44 pm

Well said XB ....Thats the point I was trying (along with others)...to make.....Enjoy your bbq's....and quality time with your family. :beer :beer :beer
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:22 pm

Rosco1 wrote:When we were kids we learned dam fast to do as we were told....New age parenting has changed all that :cheers

OMG.....how true is that Rosco??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby sienna » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:25 am

I am not a new age parent and I have said to Alex "which part of NO don't you understand?".
He hears no a lot as well as yes and he does what he's told when he's told to do it.
That has nothing to do with trying to get a kid to bed when it's broad daylight outside.
As I said ealier, the sun sets at 7pm, how much more sunlight do you need? That is plenty of time to have your bbq and family time after work and not set up in the dark etc.

I understand the want/need to extend the sunlight hours down south but I don't feel it's necessary up here.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosco1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:55 am

Your one of the lucky ones with Alex, Sienna....Not all kids are like him.

Just on the ''7pm'' time...a number of workers are not getting home untill after 6pm....(took me nearly 2 hours to get home the other nite....over an hour is not uncommon....and don't forget that we are in an area that really has no ''dusk'' to talk about.....we often get home in the dark,,,,and thats when I'm doing a 6am....to....6pm shift.

:cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:02 am

Changing the clock won't change how the sun sets. You will still not get a dusk. The clock will just tell you that the sun is setting at 8pm when it's really 7pm.
I take on board your comment about travel time from work.
I am still not swayed though. As I'm sure you aren't either.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosco1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:10 am

Wrong......I'm 110 % swayed......we had it for years and its really good....once you can adjust,,,A number of countries,,,states who do have it have extended the period out longer & longer each year because they love it so much.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:37 am

Lol come on Sienna keep him going..
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:17 pm

AArrr trying to spray paint will have to stop as wind blowing the paint every where other than where i want it.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:56 pm

We'll just have to agree to disagree, Sienna. I love longer daylight because it gives us more time after work to go swimming when it's hot and stuff. And enjoy sitting outside in the evening on warm days. But once the sun goes down, the mozzies come out and you have to start organising lights and stuff... So the longer light the better for me. I also like the idea of getting up soon after sunrise instead of missing more of that morning daylight.

So fortunately I do live somewhere where we have DS! :)
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Previous

Return to General Chit-Chat