SE QLD and mid summer?

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

SE QLD and mid summer?

Postby MacLister » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:30 pm

Hi guys,

At the moment, we have a place booked at a holiday place in Hervey Bay. It has aircon and all that. But now that we just bought a camper trailer, we're thinking we should cancel the $120/night place, and take the CT instead. However - anyone know how bareable the humidity and heat is at that time up there??

Also, is there anyway to try make the heat/humidity more acceptable?
MacLister
Captain Camping

Re: SE QLD and mid summer?

Postby Chicky Babe » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:10 am

Mid summer will be quite warmish although the cp's I think are pretty close to the water so you should get some seabreezes. I have a 12Volt/240volt medium size fan that packs away flat, I bought it from Kmart for $20. It can be put on a table or hung from your camper - I love it - used it at Atkinson Dam 2 years ago and that heat was just unbearable, I would have come home a lot earlier without having it at night time.

Hopt this helps!! :)
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby Rosco1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:08 am

MacLister wrote:Hi guys,

At the moment, we have a place booked at a holiday place in Hervey Bay. It has aircon and all that. But now that we just bought a camper trailer, we're thinking we should cancel the $120/night place, and take the CT instead. However - anyone know how bareable the humidity and heat is at that time up there??

Also, is there anyway to try make the heat/humidity more acceptable?

Not sure where you are from...But Hervey bay isn't that much warmer than Brisbane (if you are from Qld)....We notice the temp lift a few deg. soon as we hit Gympie.....and yes...you will get a sea breeze to help keep you cooler....Still hot ????....have another :beer ...that should work....lol

:cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby MacLister » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:46 am

Thanks guys!
We're from Brisbane... been here 3 years nearly... last 7 years before that, Scotland. :shock: Slight change in climate. :)

So we're scared of the humidity (Previous 25 years were spent in Cape Town, so we're OK with heat). I like the :beer solution a lot. But my dog doesn't do beer, and neither do my kids... :? But I get the drift. :)

Will a fan in the tent help? I can handle that! I guess finding shaded spot is a must, then? We have a portable aircon, but I guess the powered supplys at camp sites would frown on that, and probably trip when the amps goabove 3 amps or something?
MacLister
Captain Camping

Postby Rosco1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:06 am

DON'T feel guilty about using power...you sure as hell pay extra for a powered site !!!!!! We have both a portable aircon & a fan we take camping.....and as far as your dogs concerned (nice to hear you take the whole family).....they aclimatize very quickly.....reminds me of when we first arrived in Perth back in 1989....We left our pet with friends (collie) in New Zealand ....because we thought she wouldn't be able to stand the heat....well.....bugger-me-dead....we arrived there and our next door neighbour had the excact same dog and said that they have no problems adjusting..........just make sure you have plenty of water & shade to offer them.
Thats the dog fixed....now the Adults...thats easy :beer :beer :beer ...lol...and keep ya hat on.

:cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Titch » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:32 pm

[quote="MacLister"]Thanks guys!
We're from Brisbane... been here 3 years nearly... last 7 years before that, Scotland. :shock: Slight change in climate. :)

So we're scared of the humidity (Previous 25 years were spent in Cape Town, so we're OK with heat). I like the :beer solution a lot. But my dog doesn't do beer, and neither do my kids... :? But I get the drift. :)

OOOOHHH AHHH a fan up the Kilt may keep you De humid, :--?
Cool little bits are good :lol:
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:13 am

My solution to being too hot is always: stay near the water! Beach, river or lake. You don't have to stay in it. Just take a dip every time you get too hot and then the breeze will cool you down until you're dry. Works for the dog too. :) And definitely for the kids!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby sienna » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:41 pm

Definitley go with the fan. I always take mine. And being near water is good.
I know you've just got your ct but you may consider getting a big tarp to cover it all for summer. Try without first to see how you go as setting up a tarp requires time and money. Depends on where you plan on spending most your your camping- national parks etc will have more tree options whereas caravan parks, tree shade will be more limited.
I'm a tarper but many people are not, just check out the To tarp or not to tarp threads.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:21 pm

I totally agree with sienna....tarp over in summer to assist with keeping the CT cool and tarp over in winter to keep the warmth in. Great recommendation sienna.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to General Chit-Chat