Ban on Bull Bars - VICTORY is ours

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Ban on Bull Bars - VICTORY is ours

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:12 am

There is a move to adjust the legislation affecting the fitment of bull bars to 4WDs.

Extract from ARB follows;
The safety of Australian motorists that drive vehicles fitted with bull bars and nudge bars is threatened by proposed new Federal Government regulations, which are based on rules developed for the European environment and road conditions by the United Nations Economic Cooperation for Europe (UNECE).

The 4WD Industry Council wants up-to-date information about bull and nudge bars - also known as "vehicle front protection systems" (VFPS) - for its consultations with the Department of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development in Canberra about the proposed regulation. This regulation focuses on pedestrian safety - not vehicle and occupant safety.

The Department has now released a Regulation Impact Statement for Pedestrian Safety Standards for public consultation, which closes on 15 April 2011. This document includes extensive discussion on "VFPS" and contains options for the regulation of bull bars.

By completing the 4WD Industry Council's survey, participants will help meet the need for current accurate data on the use of bull and nudge bars. The Council hopes to learn more about vehicle types, driving patterns and critical safety issues, such as animal strikes and other impacts.

Adoption of this overseas rule would make it impossible in Australia to fit bull and nudge bars, which are designed to protect drivers and passengers in front end animal strikes and other impacts. It may also ban winches and driving lights.

The Federal Department has released the proposed regulation for a three month consultation period. We want to collect road users' views and report them as part of the industry response.

The survey takes only moments to complete and is totally confidential. We will add this new data to a report recently commissioned by the Council to study animal strikes on Australian roads.

These Council initiatives respond to the lack of uniform data about the estimated 25,000 to 30,000 vehicle-to-animal strikes occurring each year across Australia. We do not believe that good regulatory decisions can be made without proper research and without canvassing all key issues.

See http://www.aaaa.com.au/4wd/ to complete the survey.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: Ban on Bull Bars - VICTORY is ours

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:46 pm

Mammoth victory saves bullbars!

We've done it again!
You've spoken and the government have listened.

Because over 25,000 members of our 4WD Action family has made the government take notice and convinced them to withdraw the proposed legislation against bullbars.

This proves once again the immense power of being united and fighting together to keep our rights.

We have had enough of being DICTATED to by people who don't know the full effects of what they are talking about.

We will be protesting shortly over the many track closures that we have just accepted from the various dictators in the various states.

Stay tuned, and help us win back our rights.

The government has released the below press release, withdrawing the RIS on the grounds of the roll bullbars play in protecting vehicle occupants.

Shaun Whale
Editor - 4WD Action
MEDIA RELEASE

The Hon Catherine King MP
Parliamentary Secretary for Infrastructure and Transport
24 February 2011
CK006/2011
Pedestrian Safety and Bull Bars

The Parliamentary Secretary for Infrastructure and Transport, Catherine King, restated again that the Government will not be banning bull bars.

"Over recent weeks I have received strong feedback through the consultation process associated with the Regulation Impact Statement (RIS) proposing the adoption of an international standard on pedestrian safety," Ms King said.

"Following careful consideration of the views and concerns put by individuals and stakeholders, I have decided that the proposal is not suitable for Australian conditions and I have directed the Department to withdraw the Regulation Impact Statement," Ms King said.

"While the Government is committed to improving the safety of pedestrians, we also recognise that bull bars play a positive role in the safety of vehicle occupants.

"In no circumstances will the Government consider banning bull bars or contemplate any lessening of the protection they provide. We are committed to ensuring that people remain fully protected in animal strikes and other hazardous situations where bull bars play a key role," Ms King said.

Ms King has now asked Department to consult with interested parties on the options for improving pedestrian safety.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:06 pm

i think it'd be pretty hard to bring something like that in anyway? imagine everyone with a bullbar having to replace it with something else? The government would have to subsidies it? More of our money would be spent?

I think they should just give themselves another pay rise, they must be due for another one :-bang
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:59 pm

The impact would have been far reaching had the govt decided to change the legislation.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Jo&Kev » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:38 am

It may have been a bad thing for me - I have a bullbar, and mounted to it driving lights, a winch and a CB antenna.

Whilst 4WD Action are claiming victory, lots and lots of RIS's happen every year and proposed legislation is modified or chucked out completely as a result of feedback from stakeholders and members of the public. There is more information about the process Department of Finance and Deregulation website, and I think Comlaw.

Basically it is democracy at work, with people putting a view and the most practical (and to an extent popular) getting up.

Kev
Cheers
Kev

Proudly running actnswcamping.blogspot.com - a blog about camping in the ACT and NSW region.
Jo&Kev
Camping King

Return to General Chit-Chat