jockey wheels

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

jockey wheels

Postby PAUL C » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:59 pm

Hi,
New to towing campervans and the like, we have just retired the tent. Having trouble with the old jockey wheel on the camper and just would like some advice on a decent type before I go and buy one. Currently this one needs to be totally removed from the bar when towing, and every time we put it on it never seems to stay in line giving us grief when trying to move it around by hand, even on a flat garage floor.

Cheers

Paul C
Last edited by PAUL C on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAUL C

Re: campervan accessories / equipment

Postby Titch2 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:33 pm

No idea if this helps,but mine is welded to the drawbar and locks up when traveling.
Our Camper is rather light weight tho.

IMG_0550 (Medium).jpg

Cheers.
Titch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:11 pm

Mine is also attached to the drawbar and swings away; my CT is quite heavy with an ATM of 1750kg.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby PAUL C » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks, Ours is a light weight camper as well. I like the idea of it being welded onto the bar then just folding away during travel. Thanks heaps. I will look into it.
PAUL C

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:40 pm

Here is a pic of mine as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: jockey wheels

Postby Rosco1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:05 pm

Paul...Put abit of thought into deciding to weld your jockey wheel onto the A frame....
Firstly, With the heat from the welding and combining 2 different metals i.e. galv/zink jockey wheel...onto steel will cause a chemical reaction between the 2 different metals ....ask your local engineer for advice on that one...Also....if its welded on and ''fails'''...you are in for a major job grinding it back off.....one of the reasons Gypsy's one is as it is. (bolted / U clamped on)....easy to replace if it fails or you choose to move it.

Sorry...this is abit of a ''mouth-full....But describes the proccess I'm trying to explain..

Chemical reactionFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Redirected from Metal-acid reaction)
Jump to: navigation, search
"Chemical reactions"

A thermite reaction using ferric oxideA chemical reaction is a process that leads to the transformation of one set of chemical substances to another.[1] Chemical reactions can be either spontaneous, requiring no input of energy, or non-spontaneous, typically following the input of some type of energy, viz. heat, light or electricity. Classically, chemical reactions encompass changes that strictly involve the motion of electrons in the forming and breaking of chemical bonds, although the general concept of a chemical reaction, in particular the notion of a chemical equation, is applicable to transformations of elementary particles, as well as nuclear reactions.

The substance (or substances) initially involved in a chemical reaction are called reactants or reagents. Chemical reactions are usually characterized by a chemical change, and they yield one or more products, which usually have properties different from the reactants. Reactions often consist of a sequence of individual sub-steps, the so-called elementary reactions, and the information on the precise course of action is part of the reaction mechanism. Chemical reactions are described with chemical equations, which graphically present the starting materials, end products, and sometimes intermediate products and reaction conditions.

Different chemical reactions are used in combination in chemical synthesis in order to obtain a desired product. In biochemistry, series of chemical reactions catalyzed by enzymes form metabolic pathways, by which syntheses and decompositions impossible under ordinary conditions are performed within a cell.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby PAUL C » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:00 pm

Cheers,

So I have some thinking and searching to do. That is the reason why I joined this site. Chees mate and thanks for your advice.
PAUL C

Postby itchyvet » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:51 pm

Bloody good subject mate, specialy for CT'lrs.
Had lots of problems with ours as well. Firstly, it fell off in transit, bits spread along the road behind us for 100 metres or so. Fortunately(or unfortunately) we found all the bits and reassembled it OK.
BUT, lesson learned ? REMOVE jocket wheel for traveling.
Next problem, jockey wheel totaly useless in gravel/soft sand/loam soils, sinks in and impossible to move around.
Solution ? Ditch old tiny solid wheel and replace with large penumatic type wheel with fat tyre.(similar to wheel barrow tyre)
No more problems, that is until time came to buy new tyre, unfortunately, can't buy similar tyre to replace old one, and all jockey wheels now available are solid wheels but larger diameter.
Fitted smaller tyre, no longer FAT, but working OK, so far.
I'm not too sure how the welded on type would work on our camper, specialy with the barn doors on my Patrol, whether they clear the wheel in it's 'up' position or not.
It is a bit of a hassel, removing the wheel for towing, storing it somewhere easily accessible, to refit when arriving at your destination, but we seem to have survived now for 6 years doing so, it can't all be bad.
itchyvet
Captain Camping

Postby stevo. » Sun May 01, 2011 10:43 am

Here's my jockey wheel on my car trailer, it just bolts on to the draw bar. The pins pull out by pulling on the blue handle, so it locks in position, up or down. Works well. I think they're about $60 from SuperCheap.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Rosco1 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:54 am

I'm with our vet thats 'itchy'.....Go for the larger tyre if possible...So much easier to manouver around

:beer :beer
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby stevo. » Sun May 01, 2011 11:43 am

maybe you need one of these....
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Return to General Chit-Chat