camping or campervan?

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

camping or campervan?

Postby Charlotte S » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:59 am

just organising our trip. i want to camp in a tent like we did in NZ but the other half wants a campervan.
can someone tell me the avarage cost for camping and campervaning? cos i have looked all over the internet and only want an avarage cost. thanks so much.
Charlotte S

Re: camping or campervan?

Postby Rosco1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:27 am

Howdy Charlotte....You might like to reach a comprimise....and invest in a Camper Trailer (not really seen in NZ yet)

Tenting is great if you plan on staying put for a few days each time....if you buy a 4wd to travel then you will get to see a lot more than in a Campervan as you can get off road and drive into towns/ cities...(easier parking than a Motor-home)
Motor-home wins hands down other-wise when travelling through Aussie...(keeps snakes out as well...lol)

Camper trailers can be a 50/50 of both the above...plus,,,you are sleeping up off the ground.

As Titch asked earlier....where are you coming from ,,,, how long will you be staying...where did you intend to travel to while you are here,,,are you working your way around ???? etc....(wish these questions were in the ''Introduction'' area)

Do some study on our climate for that time of the year...e.g...up here in Queensland its our rain / cyclone season...not the best for tenting. (if you were here to-day...its a chrystal clear beautiful day...not a cloud in the sky and around 21...23deg...not bad for winter (even warmer up North)

Keep in mind that Jan here....will be a lot warmer than in NZ...So you may want to concentrate on the bottom region of Oz.....plus you will be smack in the middle of the school holidays and HIGH tarrifs...if you are going to be staying in camps...then booking ahead will be a MUST.

Cheers & enjoy your trip...

Rosco (NZer)
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco1 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:11 am

Isn't it amazing....29 views and no-one else has any thoughts / comments on this ''often'' asked question!!!!! :armsup

As Lara Bingle would have asked....''Where the 'bloody-hell'' are ya ?????(or....any-one for that matter ????) :( :(
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:45 pm

Average cost you ask??

The only real response to this is 'how long is a piece of string??'

Charlotte....camping and traveling are 2 totally different things and I doubt anyone can give you an answer to your question.

I am currently traveling and camping in a camper trailer......I am traveling in the outback and doing a lot of free camping....hand washing and bought most of my food before I left home so my only real cost is fuel.

For fuel costs I always allow $2.00 per litre (diesel) and 20/100 klms. I seldom pay $2.00 per litre but that is what I budget on.

I run on dirt roads mostly with lowered tyre pressure thus increasing my fuel consumption. With higher tyre pressures and bitumen running my fuel consumption is less.

Fuel consumption will also depend on your driving style.

Eating.....will you buy your own food and cook OR eat out??

Will you stay in caravan parks or free camp??

On the tourist strip is way more expensive than in the little outback towns.....Alice Springs on the other hand will be more in keeping cost wise as the coastal strip because it is a high tourist destination.

I am sorry to say that there are too many variants to give you any idea of costs.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby bonger » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:43 pm

well for a start, if you hire a motorhome that has a onboard toilet and shower you are looking at around $1800 for 7 days plus insurance.

We did a two week trip from Cairns down to Brisbane in a Apollo camper van and after we took out petrol, food (camping food + going out food), alcohol, admission fees and more alcohol, we were out of pocket about 4k.

But I would do it again in a heartbeat. was exceptional even though now i run a camper trailer. The convenience of having the van was great.
Mitsi Challenger, 06 Trackabout Deluxe Tourer, Wife, Child and Dog. Sometimes not in that order :P
bonger
Camping King

Postby Charlotte S » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:08 am

thanks for all the comments guys.

i think we might look again at getting a car and camp instead of using a campervan, works out so expensive. we do everthing as cheap as possible as we dont really eat out and cook and would free camp as much as possible.

i am sure i will have more questions in the future.
Charlotte S

Postby Woodsy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:01 pm

My tip is to get a Station Wagon if your going to camp, the last time we went camping i had a Commodore Wagon and it had heaps of room for all our stuff, we filled the thing completely including the back seat to the lower part of the rear window so i could still have clear vision out of all the windows. If need be you can sleep in it as well if the weather turns bad, parts and tyres are easy to get for them too. To make things easier get some roof racks and mount 2 spare tyres on them so if you get a flat you dont have to empty out the back of the wagon to get to the spare and put your jack under one of the front seats.

If you are going to have any extra tent poles for an awning make sure the spiked end is pointing towards the back of the car, because in a heavy accident you dont want to be a kebab!
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby stevo. » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:49 am

Camping is for young people
Campervans are for old people

Camping is for tight and poor active people
Campervans are for tight, rich lazy people

oooo i'm gonna get in trouble :***
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:42 am

stevo. wrote:Camping is for tight and poor active people
Campervans are for tight, rich lazy people

I was quite amazed at the number of older people, I mean real senior citizens who were about an about in campertrailers on my recent trip.

One normally associates......CTs = families and caravans/motorhomes = senior citizens.....NOT always so.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:22 pm

I guess atleast with a tent, camper trailer or caravan you can set up camp and still drive the vehicle around, with a campervan you're kind of stuck in one place once you've set up, if it has awnings and all your gear like chairs and tables around.
stevo.

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:12 pm

stevo. wrote:I guess atleast with a tent, camper trailer or caravan you can set up camp and still drive the vehicle around, with a campervan you're kind of stuck in one place once you've set up, if it has awnings and all your gear like chairs and tables around.

Campervans and motorholmes are definitely a bit restrictive in this way.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:57 pm

.......kind of stuck in one place once you've set up.......

Stevo.....When you have owned a 'Motor-home ' / Campervan / Camper-trailer,......You learn very quickly to be 'Organized',,,,,and do your running around before you do your set-up.
(like...getting your beer....on the way...lol)

:cheers
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby stevo. » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:03 pm

Yeah Rosco, my ute is the same, once i set up camp with the awning i can't drive anywhere, so i make sure i have everything, though, it only takes 10 minutes to pack up enough to drive if needed.

It's ok with the little roof top tinnie as i can push it to the ramp on it's own little wheels, but now i got a bigger tinnie with a trailer i have a bit of a dilema as i can't set up a big camp with the ute because i have to tow the trailer to the ramp.
stevo.

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:35 pm

stevo. wrote: i have a bit of a dilema as i can't set up a big camp with the ute because i have to tow the trailer to the ramp.

Bugga!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:40 am

So....What would be the problem with dropping the boat in the water...then leaving it tied to the bank....
Then set your camp up.

In NZ we had a 16ft boat we used to tow behind our motor-home and do just that....just anchored it to the shore while we stayed at the camp..(Lake Taupo Val.....You will know how beautiful it is there.)..........

:cheers
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat