How much insulation?

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

How much insulation?

Postby Woodsy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:43 pm

How much insulation is actually provided by the tent fly? We have our big cabin tent which we need to throw a tarp over as the fly but it puts us out abit in winter as we freeze to death in it so iwas wondering how much warmer would we be in a dome style tent?...
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Re: How much insulation?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:36 pm

A tarp over should be keeping your warmer in the winter Josh. It keeps the cold from directly on top of the tent roof.

A smaller tent would certainly mean that there was less air space to warm but I would still put a tarp over that as well. On its own it would not be any warmer than anything else and certainly not a canvas tent.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:48 pm

Hi Josh....Not sure that ''Insulation'' is the right word...
In Winter tents are always going to be colder (we have spent nights feeling like ''human ice blocks'')...But the use of a tarp sure seems to keep it warmer than using nothing...also, less noise when it rains and cuts down on the dew in the mornings.
I'm wondering how much over hang you have with your tarp.....I always try for at least 1200mm minimum over hang...it will make a difference keeping the cool air as far as possible away....(and the dampness of the rain)
We have both......A dome & a conventional type tent....funny you should ask about the Dome being warmer......cause,,,,I think they seem to be.
Our tent seems to keep warmer as well,,,,since we started using ''Shade-cloth'' under-neath it (keeps the bottom cleaner...and water runs straight through it.
Cheers

Rosco
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Woodsy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:29 pm

we have a massive tarp that more than covers the tent itself, we have tried a dome tent but i've got a bad back and its not really a fan of them although we know they hold the heat because we sweat our butts off in the dome tent we borrowed.

Here is our tent, its been on here abit. We can drop the sides down a little but if there is a good breeze the sides of the tent are going to get wet.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Rosco1 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:43 am

Just looking at the pic,,,,,it seems to be resting on the roof of the tent....we use a ''spreader bar''...to keep a gap.....if nothing else....it would worry me rubbing on the top of the tent ,,,,especially if you have a pole running on the top ridge.

cheers :cheers :cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Woodsy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:49 pm

Hey Rosco, Yeah its got external poles so the tarp rests on them, still not ideal but the tarp is to long to have a bar go the whole length. we really love the height of our tent and how much ventilation it gets in summer but in winter its a freezer! But you are right the tarp over the tent is a must especially with rain.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Return to General Chit-Chat