Preparing for a wet Xmas

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Preparing for a wet Xmas

Postby Lin » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:56 pm

Is everyone preparing for a wet camping trip over Xmas? Or is it still dry in parts of QLD? Down here summer just won't come and it looks like it won't get better soon. We're off to Mystery Bay again next week for a week. I'm kind of glad that it will just be me and my daughter probably this year. Because that means I can just retreat to the tent with a good book when it rains instead of sitting round a struggling campfire with umbrellas! Or stuck under a tarp with muddy feet.

I've been trying to prepare my daughter too, but she seems quite philosophical about it. Just said: "We'll have to take lots of games". Fortunately I also like playing board/card games with her.

So I'm about to start packing. I am picking up a roof rack basket tomorrow. And a cheap two-person tent so my daughter can have friends over for sleepovers. And some more tarp poles and spare air mattress. And I'll water proof my rain coat because it leaks!

How do you prepare for a wet weather camp?

ETA: And I'm going to try taking my daughter's bike for the first time. Just now she upgraded to a bigger size and without a bike rack, so will have to go onto the roof. And I don't know a) if it will fit and b) how on earth I am going to get it up there. Without damaging the bike, the car, myself or any innocent bystanders!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Preparing for a wet Xmas

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Good luck with it all Lin.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:59 pm

Hope you have a great time Lin wet or dry... and look forward to reading all about your holiday when you get back.

Take heaps of clothes so that you always have something dry to put on and maybe some sort of drying rack or string that you can dry things out under the tarp. Can't believe that you would sit around a campfire with an umbrella.....seems a bit strange to me. I would rather be reading a book or playing a board or card game like you said.

Sorry can't help you with the bike part as we have not taken our kids bikes with us as we have always taken their scooters as they fold down and fit into our toolbox on the CT.

Have fun packing. I reckon that is one of the best bits of going camping.....
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:15 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote: Can't believe that you would sit around a campfire with an umbrella.....seems a bit strange to me.

You don't know what you are missing XB...it's good fun.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:41 pm

We often camp with friends - so can't just retreat to the tent. And it's often cool at night (or downright cold sometimes), which makes sitting under the tarp without heating uncomfortable. And when we're with a group, the campfire IS our entertainment. :lol: We rarely take a lantern. The times I've taken it, we didn't use it.

But this time I will be comfortable in my sleeping bag in the tent when it rains in the evenings. :)
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby stevo. » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:49 pm

I was kind of hoping it wasn't going to rain this xmas, not after last xmas floods :?
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:21 pm

Supoosed to be fine xmas day not sure about the rest .
LIN i would put tarps blankets etc on the roof then put bike on that,strap it down well.
As Gypsy and I continually say ( no one takes any notice ..LOL) wet weather ? TARP TARP TARP TARP TARP IT IS THE ONLY SOLUTION ....
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:30 pm

We hardly got any rain! Though the first rain was on Xmas afternoon. But only after we'd already spend some time at the beach and it didn't rain for longer than an hour and not even hard.

My tent has been tested in torrential downpours and stays dry without tarp. Old style Coleman quality!

Got more rain on boxing day arvo. Looked very ominous from on the beach, but didn't really deliver. Though it rained for a bit longer, it still cleared up before sunset. And that was the only rain we got all week! I actually got sunburnt on our first afternoon on the beach because I had expected cloudy weather and just had not considered sunscreen. Stupid... But at least I remembered the rest of the time and I now have a pretty nice tan.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to General Chit-Chat