Roof basket

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Roof basket

Postby Lin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:31 pm

I finally bought a basket to go onto my car's roof racks because they were selling them at the cheapest price I'd seen so far - and I'd been umming and arring about getting one for years.

It just fit into the back of my car with the backseat down. It is so big that I now fear my car will do a Flinstone flip and land on its side when I load it up!!!

But it is very exciting to have so much extra space. I will just have to figure out how to pack it safely.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Roof basket

Postby Soren G » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:56 pm

They are sure a nice thing to have,you double your luggage space without sacrificing interiour space and as far as I remember,they won´t even drag your fuel mileage down.
I am happy for you!
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:29 pm

Only pack lightweight and flat things into it Lin otherwise you will end up being very top heavy.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Yeah, I intend to put our sleeping bags and clothes etc. in it mainly. All the camp furniture and kitchen gear etc. will go in the boot. I wouldn't be able to lift heavy stuff on there anyway!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:35 pm

Lin wrote:Yeah, I intend to put our sleeping bags and clothes etc. in it mainly. All the camp furniture and kitchen gear etc. will go in the boot. I wouldn't be able to lift heavy stuff on there anyway!

I used to put my tarp up there and sometimes my chair. Make sure you have as little wind resistance as possible Lin
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Soren G » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:57 am

I don´t know what the regulations are in Australia,but in Germany the legal weight limit for a roof load is:75kg for a sedan and 100kg for a station wagon.I would assume that that is somewhat of a general spec and at least a mark to orientate yourself on.
Cheers Gernod
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:20 pm

In Australia it is the roof rack itself that sets the standard as to how much weight you can legally carry. Every set of roof racks come with the maximum load carrying capacity stated on them and this also includes the weight of the basket etc itself.

For example my roof racks can only carry 150kg all up, including the basket as well.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Soren G » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:36 pm

OK,thats different than.But I guess the vehicle manufacturer must have something in their specs as well,I can´t imagine that a FIAT Punto for instance can carry 150 kg without negatively effecting it´s driving dynamics,so that would be to consider as well.
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:22 pm

Soren G wrote:OK,thats different than.But I guess the vehicle manufacturer must have something in their specs as well,I can´t imagine that a FIAT Punto for instance can carry 150 kg without negatively effecting it´s driving dynamics,so that would be to consider as well.

True Gernod, but then you probably could not get a set of roof racks to fit a Fiat Punto that would carry 150kg.

I did ask someone of authority about the requirements and was advised that it is the weight limit which is set by the roof rack manufacturers.

Whilst there is a limit set by the particular roof racks you have, it does not mean to say that everyone adheres to the regulation.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:31 pm

The basket itself has a weight limit too. Mine is 50kgs (cheapie), so as long as my roof racks (and my roof) can handle 65kg, I'm fine.

I got a friend help me put it on the car and it doesn't actually stick out over the roof racks as much as I thought it would. And doesn't look as massive as I thought it would. It actually looks quite good. :)

Now I'm sorting stuff and I hope to have the roof and the boot packed by tomorrow night.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:34 pm

Well, I packed most of our stuff, except for clothes and food and some little bits and pieces. I had decided earlier I would not bother trying to take my girl's bike. But then I looked at the boot that wasn't full yet, got a couple of tools, took the front wheel off the bike and removed the handlebars and managed to get it into the boot! And there's still space left! I feel like the car packing queen now. :?#

Though I will warn my daughter that if she doesn't use the bike now, I will make her ride it home from the coast! :lol:
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:30 pm

You are just too clever Lin. Have a great holiday.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:15 am

Yes Lin i had the roof basket and bag on the top of my Hyundai getz,i used put my tent in it whicj was 12 kilos then topped it up with my tarps blankets and pillows,i think with camping by the time you pack the car it self with all the other stuff the weight balances out, as the car is also loaded,not once did i ever fell the car was going to tip..
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:31 am

Not so clever, GL. Discovered this morning that the tarp I used to cover the stuff on the roof appears to be leaking. So all my stuff is getting wetter while I'm here at work. Pillows, sleeping bags and the wool underlay. I am praying our clothes are staying dry in the plastic bags I packed them in.

I will have to get the wet stuff off, try to dry it somehow (doesn't look like the rain will stop and I don't have a dryer), then either pack it all in plastic bags or spend the time driving to Bunnings for a new tarp. And secure everything again.

I am feeling so tired!

But we will get there...
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:00 pm

And it will be great when you do Lin.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat