I'm still around!

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

I'm still around!

Postby Komodo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:27 pm

Hello every one. A some of you guys will remember me (although I say that I not a few new faces on here too) and will have noticed my absence. I'm Kirk for those who dont know and my partner is Kelly.

Bit of a run down for everyone.

In mid-late 2006 Kelly and I became a couple after being friends through a car audio based car club / forum for a few years. We both discovered we loved camping with Kel growing up in a family who did a bit of car based and hiking camping and I grew up doing some trout fishing camping and was fairly involved in my local scout group. I think I've been a member on this forum since about then. I think this is a great forum without the 'personalities' found on some other camping/outdoors forums. Plenty of great advice and freindly chatter.

Turns out between us we had a bit of camping gear and then we progressively obtained more camping gear and sought out more camping destinations mostly around central east Victoria. In 2007 I bought a '01 GU patrol and started a bit of offroading which lead to some more camping and later in 2007 a trip across the Nullabor to Perth and exploring the south coast for a couple of weeks. I was instantly hooked on touring this great land we have. The sights, smell, experiances out there that no book, documentry or photos could describe properly.

2008 we bought a house and camping went a little on hold as we started renovating. Also because up till this point we'd never had a place of our own having been between share houses and living with parents (seperately - we never lived together till we bought the house) it was a bit of a novilty to have a place of our own and we had less of a need to get away just the two of us without everyone driving us crazy. I actually remained living with my parents part time till 2010.

Since then I've been travelling quite a bit around Victoria doing weekenders although we also dont think much of jumping in the car with our puppy, Yoshi, and heading for a 10+ hour day trip. Still havent finished the renos but we have gotten back into camping and I've become more interested in 4wding.

Start of last year every thing went on hold for me. we moved factories and a few other things. As such my holiday plans went on hold. I only had two days off last year for a quick trip to rutherglen (we always like to do a trip up there sept/oct) to see the wineries. I love my big reds and fortifieds. So thats why I havent been around a great deal the past 18 months or so.

However this year we're getting back into it. We mostly camp from mid/late autumn -> early/mid spring (we've found pale skinned office workers and the heat don't mix well). We've got a hannibal roof top camper on layby at the moment for a planned trip to Cape York in September.
We're also planning a short trip to SA and (to answer GL question from another thread) we're planning a wedding in NZ. Of course we will also try get away a few times in addition to these for weekend trips.

Our camping kit consists of :
dome carribee 4 man tent (a centre pole tent from southern cross or freedom will replace this once we've paid off the roof top. Dome doesnt suit our type camping)
jackaroo tarp
DMH kitchen (soon to be replaced with something from the Drifta catalogue I think - not that there is anything wrong the with DMH kitchen I just think the drifat is more suited to us)
queen size 4wd mat (cant stress enough how good these are)
Waeco CF-80 with a DIY mod on the temperature control which seems to have improved the fridge no end recommend 2 x smaller fridges however
2 x 80watt solar in a 160watt folding config
2 x 105ah batteries
redarc dual battery isolator and a sidewinder DC-DC charger
coleman reduced pressure stove
aldi branded "aqua cube" hot water service
2 x 1.25kg LP bottles and a 4.5kg bottle (used in different combos depending on the trip)
2 x LP extension poles - a 3/8 and a POL version
2 x lp lanterns
1 x 9qt cast iron camp oven
1 x 6V CCFL lantern
2 x led lenser H7R headlamps (highly recommended)
4 x 30L boxes for food and cooking gear etc
Blow mold folding table and 2 matching chairs and 2 matching bench seats (great when camping with groups)
2 x coleman reclining chairs
1 x moon chair
6x4 trailer soon to be replace with an off road version when the workshop is quiet
croc bin (the bloke who invented this is a genious)
I'm sure there is other bits of kit I've forgotten.

On top of all this there is heaps of gear we've either bought or been given that we still have that sits on the shelves in the store area because it doesnt suit our type camping (more short stay and touring) we keep it because it may come in handy for freinds or for when we have kids.

The white 4.2 turbo diesel GU patrol is kitted out with ARB bull bar, 33" MTZs, 4" lift, dual batteries, snorkle, 3" exhaust, clarion 7" touchscreen sat nav with off road maps. Its not too wild as its my daily driver but its capable enough for what we like to tackle and for where we want to go.

Yoshi our black lab x retriever comes with us 99% of the time and we mostly free camp (gotta love victoria for that)

If you see us out and about (mostly vic high country - Dandongadale / Abbey yard flat area is a favorite for us) come say g'day. We dont bite I'll only chew your ear off talking about all the gear and the solar ;)

Cheers,
Komodo
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: I'm still around!

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:17 pm

Thanks for a very detailed update Kirk and pleased to see there are wedding plans on the horizon AND more camping.

I agree.....love my Croc Bin also, just wish they'd come with almost anything but a white lid.

Please share with us some of your adventures with your trip across the Nullabor....can't recall seeing any pics!!

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Tue May 01, 2012 7:28 pm

I'll see what I can do RE pics GL.
I know we had an issue and lost the digital copies of a lot of our photos unforuntately after we printed them but there should still be some available from the second half of the trip
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed May 09, 2012 5:22 pm

Thanks Komodo
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:48 pm

Welcome back Komodo!!!!

I have been away from the site for a fair while this year but with everything either over or slowing down we are trying to get out more too now the flooding has ceased!!!!

Looking forward to your trip reports and good luck with the wedding :cheers
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to General Chit-Chat