It's just not right - Or is it?

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

It's just not right - Or is it?

Postby jollyroger » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:57 pm

Spent a lovely week in Port Lincoln 9hr drive from Adel - still in SA!
At the caravan park there were a lot of people in Vans/RV's & CT's including me!
I noticed for the first time people with Satellite dishes! My reaction was "Aw come off it - this is OZ camping not bloody USA camping"
I was appauled, annoyed and not very happy with it all.
An hour after returning home from the huge trip I looked at it all on the internet and thought WOW what a great cheap way to watch Sat TV.
Am I wrong to think like this. I feel cheap I feel I have turned to the dark side and I have sent off inquires for it. Please tell me if I am wrong to think like this or should I resist the dark side and keep my camping and kids pure from the evils of the idiot box?

JR
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Barby-Q » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:19 am

I agree with you . The whole Idea of camping is to escape your normal life . On the other hand some people may be touring around or living in these RV / vans, so they may have sat tv / internet and all the mod cons .
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby mytribe » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:45 am

Ahhh you're all wimps in your camper vans and CT's anyway, so what's a little satellite dish :grin:
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Komodo » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:34 am

I think it depends how long you are away for.

If your just away for the weekend then yes i think thats a bit wanky.
How ever - satelite phones and satelite internet let a freind of mine do a 6 month around australia trip whilst still running his business. If it wasnt for these technologies he would have only been able to get away for a maximum of 1 month at a time. He runs the business by himself and has over 25 guys working for him.

That works for him so i think thats a good use of it. Also if on the road for more than a couple of weeks it is nice to see a TV watch the news etc. as long as it doesnt turn you into a couch potatoe away from home then its all good as far as im concerned. In the caravan park i think its a bit wanky - but i hate caravan parks.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:30 am

Personal choice I reckon ... I go campin gto get away from all that electronic gadgetry (although I do take my laptop but that's for mapping/ gps purposes). Lt's face it, it's an expensive way to watch TV ... you may as well stay in your home with your favourite poison ... that way you won't trip over guy ropes!

::()

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby elpaulos » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:57 pm

Unless it's the state of origin or the league grand final then not a chance. The kids want to buy a TV so I tell them If they want that they can stay at home.

I reckon there's not enough time to watch them anyway.
elpaulos
Camping Veteran

Postby mummeee74 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:36 am

We recently went on our first camping trip and DH was going to bring his laptop so the kids could watch DVDs I was horrified by the thought. It's so nice to be away from the tele, it seems to rule our house. But each to their own.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby amanda » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:11 am

Couldn't agree more - all kids seem to do these days is watch TV, DVD's and spend hours in front of the Play Station. It's like they don't know how to play outdoors anymore, so a trip camping with no electronic gadgetry is great - and surprise, surprise - the kids actually enjoy it!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:24 am

elpaulos wrote:Unless it's the state of origin or the league grand final then not a chance. The kids want to buy a TV so I tell them If they want that they can stay at home.

I reckon there's not enough time to watch them anyway.

I mostly agree with this... BUT

Think of a movie night :idea: - outdoors, like a drive in :mrgreen: . Get a group of friends, a projector and laptop, and an big old bedsheet. Popcorn in the billy (ok, might work, might not :lol: ) and beer. Watch a good dvd before you send to kids to bed then back around the campfire when its done :armsup

That and the footy as mentioned, only 2 excuses in my book :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Komodo » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:14 pm

Ozzy,

I love your thinking.
with modern DLP projectors available for under $1000 and good inverters availble its almost fesable. I've looked into it quite a bit and my only concern is that where i like to go camping is pretty rough to get to and projector globes arent cheap.
That said I have been camping with freinds when someone has bought a projector and I can honestly say it was one of the most enjoyable experiances I've had camping with freinds. It was very relaxed we had the beers and wine out lots of nibblies and popcorn. (in the billy it cooks quite well ;)).

We used a cheap projector that the guys brought to the camp in a wooden box heavily filled with foam and a sheet of curtain block out as the screen tied between 2 trees and pegged at the bottom to pull it taught

Im actually looking to have a projector mount on the camper trailer eventually for such. Im thinking that as time goes on globes for projectors will become either cheaper or more resistant to knocks and bumps (they are pretty hardy as it is)

I go camping to enjoy the company of the people around me, to get out of the stresses of day to day life, to relax and have a bit of fun and if that involves chucking on a film whilst away once every now and then i dont have an issue with it. where i draw the line is when you have to have a pokey little 14" TV to watch days of our lives or home and away or the evening news or something like that.

BTW ive noticed that you can get some cheap asian projectors that use std hologen globes they come up on ebay every now and then for about $700 picture quality probably isnt the best but to project onto a sheet in the great out doors im sure its more than addiquate ;)

any way thats my two cents
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby jollyroger » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:28 pm

I'm all for the Projector and a sheet. There was a group at Cobdogla with one and after about 20 minutes into their (3 of them in CT) film we and others amounting to about 25 had moved closer to their screen and watched their film FOC!
We supplied them with drinks and nibbles and some light entertainment after the film. They didn't mind and loved the company.
I am torn now that I know my SAT Foxtel will work on these new SAT Systems. All I do is buy the dish and bring along my FOXTEL SAT decoder
aim correctly and BINGO I have my Foxtel everywhere I go.
I think I will stick to the projector for now! But still the essence of camping should be our portable DVD player and the kids on the bed. I never watch a movie with it. It was for the kids.
Damn!
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Return to General Chit-Chat