Hi Everyone - new members heading around Aust

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Hi Everyone - new members heading around Aust

Postby JustCruzin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:28 am

I have been looking over this forum and it is very helpful. My name is Jodi and my partner is Dean and we are from Brisbane. We are in our mid 20s and will be heading on an indefinate working holiday around Australia - we leave next April. We feel that our trip will probably last around the 2 year mark hopefully :)

We have a trackabout camper and are currently getting it ready for the trip. Any advice is greatly appreciated :armsup We are also looking at tagging alone to one of the south east camping trips to meet some people and get the feel of the camper's new mods.

It is slowly becoming daunting as we only have 8 months until we leave...scared and excited at the same time lol I grew upon the road as my parents travelled around Aust in a bus for 7 years when I was between 4-10 years old. I am hoping this has prepared me well :grin:
JustCruzin

Re: Hi Everyone - new members heading around Aust

Postby amanda » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:38 am

Sounds like a fantastic trip you have planned. Hopefully you can make it to a gathering before you go - enjoy the site and I'm sure you'll get plenty of tips, ideas and advice.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Redback » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:48 am

Hi and welcome Jodi, i'm only new here too, but looking around the forum i'm sure you get an idea of what will suit your needs, there seems a wealth of information here.

Getting out on some weekends will give you an idea of what works and what doesn't, it will also help you on what you will use and won't use, it will also get you used to putting the camper up and down.

I wish we were doing what your about to do, it should be a real adventure.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby JustCruzin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:56 am

Hey thanks for the welcomes. We have a fair about of camping experience but nothing of such a long duration. What will be tough i think is chosing what to take and where to fit it and playing tetrus everytime you pack up lol

If anyone has examples of swing out boat racks for the camper and making a kitchen etc designs and such I would love to see how others have done theirs.

We will definately make at least one of the forum trips before we go. May even get some travelling buddies lol
JustCruzin

Postby JustCruzin » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:21 pm

Just thought i would tell you all more about oursevles. We are members of a 4WD club and that is where we do most of our camping. We are heading the Springs 4x4 park this weekend...its going to be cold ::() We also have two dogs which we take everywhere we are allowed to take them. They even get to got out on the boat with us :grin:

Here is a pic of our puppies. I will post up some pics of our set up after this weekend.

JustCruzin

Postby Troyk » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:58 pm

Welcome Jodi ::)
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby AussieSunset » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:39 pm

Welcome Jodi and clan. :hello:
I'm quite sure you'll get right back into it and remember a lot from your childhood traveling days. My kids (now adults) learnt a lot from our traveling full time and still love camping. Just the smell of firewood burning give us all itchy feet.
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:25 am

Hi Jodi and WELCOME to the forum. Looks like you have a great adventure planned and I am sure there are many forum members who are envious of you. I am one that is for sure.

Also very glad to see that your canine family are very much a part of that too. I too have a fur baby who comes everywhere with me and she loves camping and travelling about in the car. She is a tad smaller than your guys though.

One of the places I have also wanted to go is The Springs but as they are not pet friendly I have not done so. I hear great things about the place and maybe one day I will get there.

Have a good one Jodi.

Cheers
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby JustCruzin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:26 am

Hey Gypsylady, The Springs (4x4 park) is pet friendly. We take our dogs there all the time. They came with us on the weekend just gone. God it was cold down there though - everything was covered in ICE!!!! We had a scary moment coming home last night - the rear left wheel of the Patrol came off and bounced past us when we were doing 90km/h around a bend towing the camper ::() Everything and everyone is ok but it did give us a fright!!! You should give us a yell next time you think about going...we may be able to join you.
JustCruzin

Postby amanda » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:44 am

Glad to hear you're all OK, thant must have been a very scary experience.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby JustCruzin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:48 am

It definately was...i am just glad my partner is a very good and calm driver!!!! The only damage was a bent disc brake rotor and damage to the wheel studs. Camper came off unscathed :armsup We have already ordered a whole new set of wheel studs for the car...dont want it to happen again any time soon :(
JustCruzin

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:51 am

JustCruzin wrote:Hey Gypsylady, The Springs (4x4 park) is pet friendly. We take our dogs there all the time. They came with us on the weekend just gone. God it was cold down there though - everything was covered in ICE!!!! We had a scary moment coming home last night - the rear left wheel of the Patrol came off and bounced past us when we were doing 90km/h around a bend towing the camper ::() Everything and everyone is ok but it did give us a fright!!! You should give us a yell next time you think about going...we may be able to join you.

Holy cow Jodi, glad to hear you are all ok and survived that scary incident. I had a similar incident some years back on way to Levuka but the wheel did not come off, it only sheared all but one stud off and that was bad enough. To actually see it bounce past you must have been unbelievably scary.

Yep I know it can get pretty cold, I camped out at Stanthorpe a few weeks ago and the coldest it got to overnight was -5 under the extended annex and it has no doubt been colder since then. It is all good though especially if you are prepared for the cold.

Re The Springs being pet friendly..all I can say is that they must have changed their policy because when I enquired sometime back they were not and stated quite emphatically that they would not relax their policy in any way or for any reason.

Thans for the info and the invite Jodi, will keep it in mind.

Cheers Gypsy....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Introductions: