Camping 2-3 hours from Sydney

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Camping 2-3 hours from Sydney

Postby spaton » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:02 pm

Hello everyone,

been lurking for a while and found this to be a great camping website. My hubby and I ( and soon to be son/daughter) love camping, usually more inclined towards the semi- bush.

We are looking to go camping for 3-4 days as my last camping trip ( am 5 months pregnant!) on the 1st week-end of November. However, we don't want to drive 4 hours as my bladder and back can't handle that long, plus we will be joined by some people who will only come the Saturday & Sunday....We have camped at Wollondilly River Station last year and LOVED it but would like to try somewhere new

Can anyone suggest a good camping spot that has the below

1-within 2 to 2.5 hours of Sydney ( 3 hours AT THE MAX)
2-Close to water for a swim
3-is not a "caravan park" type of place more semi-bush or somewhere that won't be busy..it's one of my last getaway before being a mum, I want peace and quiet in a natual surroundings
4- toilets would be nice but not necessary (same goes with shower)

Any suggestions?

Moose
spaton

Re: Camping 2-3 hours from Sydney

Postby elpaulos » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:11 pm

Not sure about water but the blue mountains have a few gemmy little spots. I think it's State Forest. Used to go there all the time and we we're always self-sufficient. Great views on the range.

Hope this helps.
91 Landcruiser.
elpaulos
Camping Veteran

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:29 pm

Somewhere around lithgow would be a good bet, but I'm not 100% on the water part. I know there's a lake somewhere round there you can swim in but I've never been to it.

Otherwise somewhere along the colo river. Thats always good for swimming.

Or mungo brush. Prolly 4 hrs drive though once you count a break for food/fuel. Ticks all your boxes.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Malcur » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:36 pm

Myall Lakes (north of Newcastle) is a fantastic spot. Quite a few camping sites there and close to both beach & lake. If you do a search on this site for "Myall Lakes" I am sure you will find lots of info. Most Myall Lakes sites will tick off all the items on your list.

Mal
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Postby Berny » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:08 pm

Burraga Dam west of Oberon is nice and would have everything you want.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Berny
Camping King

Postby Bob_Lisa » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:45 pm

We have just come home from trying this place.. refer to link.. I cannot tell you how wonderful the peopleare that have this park.. It is so clean and tidy and has great clean toilets and showers..You can camp right on the waters edge.. and real campfires.. We / re planning our next weekend there.. the added beauty of this camp ground is that you can have wonderful day trips around the area, if you want a change of camp pace.. check it out..://www.jervisbaycabins.com.au

cheers LIsa and Bob
Bob_Lisa

Postby spaton » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:08 am

Thanks everyone for their replies, we have decided to try out Mungo Brush as hubby and friend want to go dive off Seal Rock whilst we are there. Funny enough, every campsite mentioned in your replies made our short list, so we've got heaps of suggestions for next time around.
The Jarvis Bay camp recommended will be our next trip, we weren't sure about it initially, but from your reviews sounds awesome.

Can't wait til next week-end 4 days of pure relaxation & fresh air! YAY!!!!
spaton

Postby spaton » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:12 am

Ozzy camperboy...you really reckon 4 hours from Sydney to get to Mungo?? We were kinda hoping would be right about 3 hours...mmm if thats the case, we might change our plans.
spaton

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:04 pm

Nah its 4 hours tops.

If your doing the speed limit and don't stop for long you'll do it in 3 hrs easy. Just that every time I went we seemed to find a way of stretching the travel time whether we wanted to or not.

One thing you might want to check if your planning on camping at Mungo, and diving at seal rocks, is whether the rd between the two is open. Last time I went there the dirt road was gated and locked (thanks to our 'friends' at NPWS :evil: ) so you might have to go all the way back to the highway and around.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby spaton » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:01 am

Awesome, thanks for the reply Ozzyboy! Cannot wait to be there and we will def check re: the road between Seal Rocks and Mungo as we have to ring them regarding the fire status anyway.

Wish it was here already, will take some pics and post them on my return :?#

Moose
spaton

Return to Introductions: