g'day

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

g'day

Postby megs » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:43 pm

Hello, so glad I found the website! My small family (me, hubby, kids: 4 and 2) has been camping the last few years, mostly within a few hours of our home at the sunshine coast, QLD. We have been 'taking it easy' at first, camping at places with good ameneties and close to shops etc, but have finally graduated to national parks and state forests yay! :armsup We have a good little tent and I'm trying to perfect my art of tarp rigging-mmm getting better I think?? managed the last storm ok, so I must be improving! This site certainly has lots of tips and ideas to help me become a fast effecient campsite builder :o I will post some of my past camping adventures in the near future, and we're heading to Charlie Moreland this weekend, wanted the bolumba creek camping but it's closed at the mo. Hello to everyone, thanks for a great site :+
megs
Boy Scout

Re: g'day

Postby amanda » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:45 pm

Welcome aboard Megs, and enjoy!
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:26 pm

Welcome Megs ,yes plenty people on here willing to give advice and tips.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:49 pm

Welcome aboard :grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:39 am

Hi Megs and WELCOME to the forum. Glad to see you are out & about enjoying this great country of ours & introducing your children to the wonderful world of camping.

Have you camped at Island Reach at Imbil?? http://www.ircamping.com.au/

It is on your side of town, very reasonable prices and has all the basic amenities and a great creek for swimming.

The little township is within walking distance & the Mary Valley Rattler comes to town twice a week.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby megs » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:20 am

Thanks for all your welcomes! Yes, I have been to island reach, quite a few times, it's where we first went camping, we loved it, then we tried the deer park and it was great for the kids,safer swimming and a fun playground also the toilets are clean, and i'm afraid last time we were at island reach the toilets weren't cleaned the WHOLE time we were there, and that was for 4 days :( The train and markets at imbil on a sunday are always a hit with the kids, and us :grin: If Island reach have started keeping the toilets a bbit cleaner I would be very happyto go back there, have you been lately?
megs
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:48 am

No not recently & that would have been disappointing. Did you speak with Tony, Jim or Maryann about the toilets??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:17 am

I was at island reach about 6 months ago and didn`t have a problem with the toilets.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby megs » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:52 pm

no, I didn't talk to the gentleman there who runs it, I feel much more confident now about approaching owners/managers about things now though. I'm glad you had no problems with the toilets on your last visit poodle jewel, hopefully it was just one bad long weekend we had. We're heading out to charlie moreland for a change this weekend, but we're sure to return to imbil, it's a favourite town. In winter we head out kilkivan/murgon way- free firewood in the cold.
megs
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:09 pm

Kilkivan Bush Camping is a great spot too but not much for the kids only a couple of swings. http://www.kilkivancampingcaravans.info
Steve & Sue are delightful people.

There is John Parsons Prophet Gold mine & gold panning across the road if they are interested in that but maybe they are still a bit young.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ricklanga » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:48 pm

gypsylady wrote:Kilkivan Bush Camping is a great spot too but not much for the kids only a couple of swings. http://www.kilkivancampingcaravans.info
Steve & Sue are delightful people.

There is John Parsons Prophet Gold mine & gold panning across the road if they are interested in that but maybe they are still a bit young.

Also the Wonga drive-in theatre down the road. My kids loved it.

--
Richard.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:39 pm

ricklanga wrote:
Also the Wonga drive-in theatre down the road. My kids loved it.

--
Richard.

Yeah forgot about that one, thanks Richard. I went there again at Xmas time and saw Australia

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby megs » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:01 am

thanks for the tips, we have camped at the bushcamp at kilkivan a few times last winter, and the owners ARE lovely. We went fossicking for gold-didn't strike it rich :? but my daughter made friends with the owners granddaughter, so they were happy. We haven't made it to the drive in yet, we keep planning to, then stay around the campfire instead! Can't wait though, as a drive in is loads of fun and pretty scarce these days, a good place to see Australia I bet-very apt! We started to go further up the road to a little camp/caravan park nearer to Murgon and the jo bjp. dam as well, free firewood and bush walks on the property. pretty quiet place, and close to some wineries :grin: A good winter place with lots of fire pits and a communal fire and good facilities. I prefer a place with good warm showers in winter, but may brave NP's this year brrr.Barambah bush caravan park i think it is. Anyone been there?
megs
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:27 pm

Yes & Baramabh Bush CP is a great little campground with one of the best if not the best amenities block I have ever seen and very reasoably priced as well.

Yallakool at Bjelke Petersen dam is no longer open.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:52 pm

Welcome to the forum Megs. :+

I was so glad to find this forum too as its been fantastic with heaps of info, tips, photos, places to go....etc...

Thanks everyone :+
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Next

Return to Introductions: