Hi

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Hi

Postby Bill snd Morag » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:47 pm

Hi to everyone. We have just registered here. We have a Cape York camper trailer- soft floor and are keen campers.
Always like these forums as we are always interested in others experiences and views. Will post pictures later
Bill and Morag
Bill snd Morag
Captain Camping

Re: Hi

Postby TBF » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:01 am

Welcome Bill and Morag.

Looking forward to the photos..

Aart
TBF
Camping Veteran

Postby amanda » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:12 am

Welcome to you both - enjoy the forum!
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 am

Hi Bill and Morag & WELCOME to the forum.

I have 2 sets of friends who have CTY campers, one a hard floor and one a soft floor...and they are great campers....both are very happy with them. The friends with the hard floor are coming on a 6 week outback trip with me later in the year.

I look forward to seeing your pix and hearing of your adventures.

Cheers....

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Bill snd Morag » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:24 pm

Here is the ct setup at Bramston Beach.
We had our "kids" with us on this trip.
This is the wife with our "kids"
Here is our Drifta Kitchen and storage box. (Dont know how we got along without it. So much easier now)
Bill and Morag
Bill snd Morag
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:07 pm

WOW I thought all CYTs were pretty much the same or very similar but yours is very different to the ones my friends have....that is very interesting.

Yours does not appear to be a rear fold, is that correct??

Did you put the drifta kitchen in or is that the way CYT do their kitchens now??

BTW, I love the 'kids'.....

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Bill snd Morag » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:43 am

Thanks for your reply.
Ours is the cheapest of the CYT , we bought it second hand -, 2 years old and only been twice, we got a real bargain as it was covered in cobwebs( and when I say covered i mean covered) Its a side fold here is the link http://www.ahernmetal.com.au/type_3_heavy_duty.htm.
We were seasoned tent campers. Bought the ct last year and we love our CYT - The tough trailers means we can still go to those places a little off the beaten track.
It has a 65L water tank and added to the 40L water tank in the Navara it is usually plenty.
The Drifter combo was our Christmas present to each other. It had a very basic s/s tailgate mounted kitchen (no sink etc). It is great and even the tucker box, which I thought would be useless,is great at storing food.
Bill has put in 12 volt power, 12 volt water pump and Solar. We also have a genny just in case. We have just added a boat rack, which a very clever friend has made for us. Bill also installed a handbrake.
Just can't wait for the rain to finish so we can get out there and start camping again.
I gather you have a camper trailer too - what do you have ?
By the way - I love these forums - always something to learn from them
Morag and Bill
Last edited by Bill snd Morag on Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill snd Morag
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:33 am

Hi Bill & Morag

I bought a preloved soft floor side fold camper first off also and yes loved every minute in it.

Like you I was a seasoned tenter of many years & upgraded to the camper. First outback trip taught me heaps as did going from a huge set up in a tent to a CT. It was like learning to camp and pack all over again. Talk about downsizing…what a laugh that was…..But then I found there was heaps that I did not need for the CT that I did for the tent & with the tent I used to go up the beach and camp for a month at a time…..had to carry in everything including all my water etc.

The result was then when it came time to upgrade from the first the camper I was so much more knowledgeable as to what I wanted & what would work for me & consequently had one custom built.

The funny thing was that I actually took a step backwards in some ways with the hard floor when it came to options as the soft floor was optioned up with loads of extras…one example being the shower unit. The soft floor had an onboard shower that could feed from the onboard stainless steel tank (132 litres), or any alternative source of water, be it creek, bucket, tap or whatever. It had its own in line filter system. This could not be replicated on the hard floor version so I went back to the standard 12 volt shower out of the bucket in a shower tent which of course works well too. The first camper also had 3 taps, 2 x 12 volt and 1 hand pump in case of emergency...the new one only has one tap, a 12 volt version. No room for an emergency tap here, if the 12 volt were to go down...not that it is likely with both solar and gennie if required for backup.

I wanted to move up to a hard floor and did consider both a CYT and an AS along with just about every hard floor brand on the market. None were exactly what I wanted and none would build what I wanted. I eventually ended up with a ModCon & Kerry Jones built exactly what I wanted & within my price range as well. It will be 2 years old in March & has performed exceptionally well over that time.

The ModCon has an air bag suspension and is about to get its first taste of the outback later this year & I expect it to perform equally as well as my soft floor CT did in the outback. This trip will be about 7000klms, the biggest one I have done both in distance and time.

Cheers....

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Bill snd Morag » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:19 am

Wow 7000 k I'm impressed - bet you can't wait -
Where are you going ?
Morag and Bill
Bill snd Morag
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:03 am

Here is the basic list Bill & Morag. Have already travelled some of this in the past trips & have marked them in BOLD. I will be travelling with kiwi friends so have worked the trip around some places I am familar with to show them & the remainder will be new to all of us.

Thargomindah
Warri Warri gate
Tibooburra
Cameron Corner
Merty Merty

Strzelecki to Innamincka (up either old/new)
Back down (the opposite new/old)
Lyndhurst
Maree
Oodnadatta Track

Oodnadatta
Dalhousie Springs (possibly Mt Dare)
Painted Desert then along the mail run to Cadney Roadhouse on the Stuart Highway
The Breakaways
Coober Pedy
Glendambo

Googs track
Streaky Bay
Elliston
Port Augusta
Quorn
Hawker
Wilpena
Arkacoola
Broken Hill