Hi Everyone

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Hi Everyone

Postby jellycamp » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:59 am

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum but have been keeping an eye on things for a while. I am a made keen camper and love taking my two boys out for a weekend of adventure. I am so glad that there is so many other girls on here that love it as well. My biggest problem is that the hubby is not all that keen. He has always said he will go 5 star before camping. Does anyone else have the same problem?
My big question is....how many of you out there are tent campers as opposed to people in camper trailers? I am planning a trip to Cairns at Christmas and just wanted some advice from more experienced campers. I am wanting to save money so want to be able to camp all the way up but hubby thinks that it is too much hassle to set the tent up everynight. Is it possible to tour in a tent? My other question is space.... I read a post on here that someone goes in a hyundai getz. My hat off to you! I have a ford escape and never seem to have any room at all. I only take the basics and I have a roof basket. Without that, I wouldn't be going at all! I hope that everyone can give me some advice.

Look forward to hearing from everyone
Life is meant to be simple!
jellycamp
Camping King

Re: Hi Everyone

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:10 am

Do you already have a tent?

They key to enjoying a lot of travel and putting the tent up every night is having a tent that is easy and functional.

Check out the Oztents at http://au.oztent.com/default.asp. There is a video of setting them up at http://au.oztent.com/the-30-second-tent.asp

The claim of 30 second set up is not false. It is really that easy.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby jellycamp » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:20 am

Hi Derek, thanks for the reply. We do already have a tent. We got a brilliant dome from Anaconda on their sale. It is fantastic and only takes about 20 minutes to put up.

Is it too much to do everyday when travelling? I have never done it on a day to day basis. When we usually go camping it is only for 2-4 days at a time. We did 6 days over xmas but we stayed in the one place for the whole time. That is the longest trip we have done.
I look forward to anyones comments.
jellycamp
Camping King

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:57 pm

Hi there i`m the hyundai getz girl,Myself and three small dogs.I have a roof rack basket which inside that goes a waterproof bag,I originally looked at a small trailer by Hyundai recommended against it.
In that bag alone i fit:
A card table
2 canvas fold up chairs
A carpet mat for tent floor
the tent (A tourer canvas)
3 tarps
the shorter of the tent poles
and in winter a couple of blankets.and a foam underlay.
In my boot part goes the kitchen box
2 burner gas stove and gas bottle
a box with the ropes tent pegs etc
fire wood if needed.
on the back seat floor goes the box with my clothes
portable gas BBQ
stacking up as i go the dogs bed,pillows,10ltr water container,towels and any little things that i can squeeze in .
Blooming Amazing.
Yes Derek is right get a simple tent,a couple of years ago i did four weeks where every couple of days i moved on,i had a dome tent and on your own it was a pain in the you no what,i now have a canvas tourer.with a centre pole up she goes in no time.
Hope you can smooth talk hubby to have a good adventure.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi Jellycamp and WELCOME to the forum.

To answer your question re setting up and packing up a tent every night or two....No it is not a problem and very much doable... many, many people have done it in the past and many will do it again in the future. It is even more exciting if you have a passion for camping & the great outdoors as you have indicated & you did mention you have 2 boys to help as well unless of course they are still very small.

If you hubby is willing to settle for 5 stars when he can have 5 billion...I know who is losing out here.

There are any number of us who camp on our own or at least with family, friends & our canine kids. There are even one of two on here who leave hubby at home and take the kids camping so you are not alone in that regard.

Lots of tenters here on the forum too...in fact we did a poll some time back and the tenters outweighed the CTs from memory.

PJ is definitely the most qualified to give advice on how to pack a small car & I see where she has posted how she does it.

Combine your passion and the info from various members here & you will have a great adventure.

Cheers Gypsy....

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Demeter » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:48 pm

Oooooo, I want that 30 second tent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Demeter
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:00 pm

Not cheap Bec and also does not fold down very small either....

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:02 pm

gypsylady wrote:Not cheap Bec and also does not fold down very small either....

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh but the convenience. ::()
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Convenience at a pretty large cost Derek...

Dont get me wrong, I think they are great but they are way too expensive for anyone on a budget or starting out in their camping.

I have considered one many times but always dismiss due to the folded size & the issue of finding the right place to carry. There is no way I could lift one on to the roof rack of my car which is pretty much the only place I could carry it.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:13 pm

Yep I can understand the weight when the big one comes in at 22 kg. Did you see the Ozpod. Fits to a roof rack and has a door at the end and you simply slide it in http://au.oztent.com/products/viewProduct.asp?productid=163
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:17 pm

I did Derek but I still can't lift it that high. I am like most women & have little power in my arms above my chest.

Again it makes it a very expensive unit as well....

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby CampGrrlz » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:39 pm

Aah ... the 30-second tent - yes indeed it does go up that fast. BUT it weighs "a ton" and is bulky. The tent may go up very quickly (like the Cub CT we had) but the un-packing and packing are what take the time. In that context, the setup of the actual tent is a very small slice of the time. Having everything packed and at hand and not having to take too much stuff out of boxes will save the time. And every time you do it, it will seem shorter because you know exactly how everything functions :grin:

Now the Black Wolf Turbo is a very fast tent to put up and has the advantage, if you get the Lite version, of being light man-made fabric which can be packed wet if you get caught in the rain. Check the BW website and see the video of it being put up. There's a canvas version which is quite a bit heavier. Most of the manufacturers post the tent package size and weight on their websites.

There's a trend these days to erecting a tarp under which the tent goes. There are many advantages and for the camper with lots of space in their vehicle and plenty of energy, the tarp is the way to go. If you're short of vehicle space (as we are) and want to expend the least energy into erection and dismantling, doing without a tarp is worth considering.

Doing a short pre-trip camp will sort out a lot of your dilemmas - you'll find very quickly what stuff you can't do without and what stuff you don't need. As well, doing a trial pack of the vehicle will also tell you what will go where and in what order. Make notes and keep those notes handy and update the notes as you go. A detailed preparation will save lots of headaches even though it is tedious to set it all up in the first place. The more preparation and organisation you can do (and it is time-consuming) beforehand the simpler the trip will be and the more benefit you will get from the trip itself. It's a bit like budgeting: tedious, even boring but worth the effort when you get and keep control over the situation.

Elaine and Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Poodle Jewel » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:13 am

22 kg that is heavy i think mine is 14 and at this stage in my life i can lift it quite easy onto my roof rack (i am strong (even the man at the gym said so :) due to the heavy lifting in the work i have done) and it is quick to erect if only staying the night i would just whack 4/6 pegs in and throw the centre pole up 15 mins and you are done of course if the weather was bad you would have to take more pre cautions.
As for leaving the tarp out... NEVER, it is the most versitile thing in your camping gear i have a 16 x 20 and folded neatly it doesn`t take up very much room at all,infact i usually take two for good measure.Admittedly it takes a while to put up especially on your own but the benefits out way that.For one night i would not put it up although i have gone on short camping trips, put the tarp up left the tent at home and slept under the tarp in the car.Horses for courses i suppose.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby jellycamp » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:12 pm

Hi Everyone, Thanks for the all the handy hints. I forgot to mention in my first post that I am a pretty experienced camper but only in short stints. We only ever go for 2 nights at the most. The trip to Baffle creek at xmas was the longest trip we have done. And, we always stay in the one spot.
We are pretty organised with all of our camping gear except for the room issue. I think everyone has a space issue to a certain extent unless you are towing a trailer or something similar. I would love more room (and a 30 second tent) but I have come the conclusion that neither is going to happen on small budgets and with children. :-)

I really hand it you you PJ for getting all the stuff in to a little car. Pretty amazing!! And I also agree with the comment of 5 stars versus 5 billion! How true. :grin: We are heading up to Somerset at Easter (if the weather is good). Does anyone know if it gets really busy up there?

Thanks again for the handy hints. I will definitely being checking back in regularly for more helpful info.
jellycamp
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:25 pm

Yes Sommerset will be very busy over the Easter break...so be prepared. Funny thing Easter is in regard to camping.....it is the one time when everyone want to go camping and just about everywhere is packed to the hilt......

Everyone loves camping at Easter time.

I am sure you will still have a great time jellycamp.

Cheers Gypsy....

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Introductions: