New to camping need loads of help

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

New to camping need loads of help

Postby newcamper » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:04 pm

Hi we are a family of 2 adults... 1 dh trying to convince 1 dw camping will be great for the family + 2 boys 4 & 7. I was looking for a web site that we can get ideas and loads of advice from the experienced and came across this one. We are heading of on a 3 night adventure to the sunshine hinterland can't decide between Island Reach or Jimna Peach tree camping area....any advice would be most welcome. We want something with toilets, showers and able to light a fire. We will be camping in a tent.
Thanks in advance.
Newcamper :?
newcamper
Boy Scout

Re: New to camping need loads of help

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:24 pm

Both fantastic camping grounds as I am sure most people on here will attest to. For a first trip, I would however recommend Island Reach. The reason being that if you forget something or realise cooking at the camp is too much you have the local shops just up the road whereas Jimna is quite a distance from anywhere if you need anything.

Camping IS fun and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Would suggest however that you ask a few specific questions about what you want to know as there are many of us on here who could write books about it.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby newcamper » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:34 pm

Thanks Derek for the quick reply...I do have a specific question that you may be able to answer...being the camp oven king...I want to try cooking using a camp oven...I love to cook..what sort of camp oven should I buy?? We have been camping a few times before mainly prior to children... so we have a bit of equipment..but not a camp oven. I would love to try a roast dinner.
We also would like to do walks ...reasonably easy for the kids...as the kids do love nature walk would that influence our decision on which place to go?

Thanks
newcamper
newcamper
Boy Scout

Postby markcrook » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:37 pm

Hi Newcamper :hello: ,

We have 2 girls who are now 6 and 9, they started camping about 4 years ago(with us!) and have always loved it. They find it a great adventure, new places to explore, new friends to make. Get them involved with helping put the tent up etc.

If it is a new tent have a practice at putting it up before you go away as this makes it easier when you arrive somewhere (our favourite thing to do is sit there with a beer or wine and watch other people putting up there tents!).

But be warned camping becomes addictive, we find we are always planning that next trip, or when we can get away for a couple of nights. There is also the kit that is involved, i think every trip we decide we need something new, or spot something that somebody else is using that we think would be great. Camping shops become a regular weekend haunt!

This is a great place for info - the search function (top right) is great and if you cant find it just ask.

Welcome to the forum

Mark
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby TBF » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:46 pm

newcamper wrote:We also would like to do walks ...reasonably easy for the kids...as the kids do love nature walk would that influence our decision on which place to go?

Welcome Newcamper
Peach Trees at Jimna will probably give you the better walks.
They are moderate and modest in distance.
Have camped there often.
As for the Camp Oven...how much do you want to spend?
Ananacona have Camp Chef COs..in 10, 12 & 14"
12" will do a small roast and some veges for 4.
Costs $89..less if you hold out for a 20% off day.
They are pre-seasoned and easy to care for.
You can get a cheaper one from BCF..but not seasoned.

happy camping

Aart
TBF
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:59 pm

Hi newcamper and WELCOME to the forum. I agree with Derek...Island Reach would be my choice also.

There is an amenities block, campfires are also allowed and there is Little Yabba Creek (fishing swimming for the boys) as well. Canoes etc for hire and lovely grassed open campsites, reasonably priced and walking distance to town.

The Mary Valley Rattler comes to town on Wednesdays and Sundays from memory. Small markets in town on Sunday mornings too.

Re the camp oven....I have 2 but Derek being the 'king' has many. The two I have are cast iron (6qt & 9qt) from the camping stores and not at all expensive. Think mine were $15 & $20 respectively. I believe one of these types will more than suit your needs and if you find down the track you want more then by all means go for the more expensive ones. Again this is an area in which Derek can best advise.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:09 pm

TBF wrote:As for the Camp Oven...how much do you want to spend?
Ananacona have Camp Chef COs..in 10, 12 & 14"
12" will do a small roast and some veges for 4.
Costs $89..less if you hold out for a 20% off day.
They are pre-seasoned and easy to care for.
You can get a cheaper one from BCF..but not seasoned.

happy camping

Aart

Couldn't agree more than what Aart has said although from memory the camp ovens they sell at BCF when I last looked did not have legs. For a good purpose camp oven you do need the legs so it sits over the coals properly. Anaconda do have a cheaper brand called Spinifex and they also are a pretty good camp oven. Yes, the 12" size is a good all-rounder.

The other good thing about the Camp Chef is that the lid has small legs on it and when turned over makes a great frying pan sitting either on gas or over coals. See the photo below.

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby newcamper » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:21 pm

Thanks everyone for all valuable inputs...even I am looking forward to our 3 night adventure :grin: ...Just one more question about ice boxes..we need to buy a good one that will keep our food and beveridges ... lots of beer, wine...and water for the kids of cause....for the 3 nights we are there....love to cook.... hate to shop...so hopefully will have everything we need with us.... any advice, tips will be much appreciated.
Thanks again
newcamper....getting addicted!!!
newcamper
Boy Scout

Postby Blue Bravo » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:47 pm

Welcome aboard. You are just starting on a wonderful excursion through camping stores etc looking for stuff for camping. A good ice box is probably a good move. Make sure it will fit in your vehicle. Also remember the bigger it is the more stuff you will put in it and the heavier it will be to move around :grin: .
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:42 pm

I had a styrofoam broccoli box that kept ice for about 4 days, after it broke I now use a regular eskie. The Marine eskie's are the best you can get but alot more expensive.

My trick in keeping the food and drinks cold, freeze a couple bottles of water / cordial, and any meat before you set off, set aside any meat you may use that night, Before you get to your destination stop off at a servo for ice and fill up the eskie.

In summer I get about 3 days doing it this way, If I plan on staying at least a week, dry ice works great.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby freerocketman1 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:50 pm

welcome to the forum newcamper :armsup
you have found a place with so much info you'll never go wrong.
check out the camping gear thread for ice boxes, techni ice would have to be the best.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby Matilda » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:35 pm

Hi Welcome to the forum, plenty of help available here. Here is a few tips that may help you get started

Use A Checklist – so you don’t leave important items at home
First Time Camping – Put your tent up in the backyard several times and know how to use all your camping equipment
Look After Your Tent and RV – Make sure your tent is dry when packing it up and use a ground cover to prevent sticks and rocks causing damage. Look after your RV check that everything is working before you go camping and when you return clean inside and out ready for next time.
Take Spares – Have a few spares with like guy ropes, tent pegs, also take repair equipment like Duct/Gaffa tape, cable ties & strong thread and needle
Respect Other Campers – Don’t camp too close if possible or park your car in their way. Keep the noise down after dark, clean up before leaving
Food Storage – Keep your food in sealed containers, fridge or eskys. You don’t need animals scavenging around your camp when you are out or in the middle of the night
Fire Safety – Be careful when you have a campfire and put it out properly when you leave. Never cook or have a candle in your tent
Keep Matches Dry – Keep your matches in a Zip Lock bag to prevent them getting wet, also take some newspaper to start the fire with kindling
Keep A Torch Nearby – At night make sure everyone has a torch they can access easily in the middle of the night, preferably inside their tent
Keep Valuables Safe – Lock them in your car or take them with you
Prepare and Enjoy the Great Outdoors
http://www.familyfriendlyozcamping.com.au/
Matilda
Captain Camping

Postby Bradd » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:57 pm

newcamper wrote:Just one more question about ice boxes..we need to buy a good one that will keep our food and beveridges ... lots of beer, wine...and water for the kids of cause....for the 3 nights we are there

A discussion about Techni Ice Ice Boxes
viewtopic.php?f=107&t=3748

Tehcniice Web Site
http://www.techniice.com/
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby newcamper » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:59 pm

Thankyou to everyone that gave us great advice.... some came too late as we had already left.... but will know for next time.
We ended up going to Island Reach camp ground which was fantastic. The kids did some fishing, canoeing and lots of playing in the bushes and they got to see the train .... it is an ideal camp ground for the kids.
We ended up borrowing a fridge freezer(big enough to keep all our cold food in) and battery from a very good friend which was fantastic We took a esky with ice for beveridges and it lasted the 3 nights so all that worked well.
We had set up the tent a few times before so that went up in no time. The only major hickup was we left the roof of the gazebo at home..not too major but the dew was really bad and it was hard to keep everything dry... so off to town to buy a tarp big enough to go over..worked a treat...won't forget the roof again though! We have done the checklist to make sure nothing is forgotten next time.
Had a roast in the camp oven 1 night which was delicious took longer to cook than we expected...noted for next time to start cooking earlier. Still cleaning everything and letting tent, tarps etc dry out properly...a lot of work... but all in all it was a great adventure and we will do it again soon. Any other great places anyone can suggest within 3 hours of Toowoomba would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again
newcamper
newcamper
Boy Scout

Postby markcrook » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:07 pm

Great to hear you all had a good time and that all the advise was helpfull.

Just make sure everything is dry before being packed away to prevent mildrew. Next time it will be easier as you will have all the kit ready to go.
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Next

Return to Introductions: