Newbie introduction

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Newbie introduction

Postby Lin » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi all,

I'm Lin. I live in Canberra and I love going camping with my now 4.5yo daughter.

We usually go to the NSW South Coast. I started an annual tradtion to go to the Mimosa Rocks National Park with friends. I've just planned this year's trip for the first weekend of Nov. It'll be the third year and we'll have about a dozen or so people there who all love camping and nature.

But the spot we go to most is Mystery Bay, just south of Narooma. It's a camping ground. In the high season you pay about $22 a night per tent. They call it a primitive camping ground. There's no allocated plots, no power, no hot water and only pit toilets. That's the way I like it! I started going there because dogs are allowed and my dog's too keen on hunting wildlife, so even if I dared to risk the fine, I couldn't take her to a National Park. But last Xmas my daughter especially had such a ball at Mystery Bay that I now want to go there more often as I think it is the most wonderful experience for a child growing up. And of course I enjoy it too. We usually meet up with some friends there, though I don't mind going alone either. My daughter needs other kids to play with though and around Xmas there's no lack of them there.

If you go at the right time - ie. when it's not too busy yet - you can get a secluded spot with ocean views (and room for the hammock overlooking the ocean too!), close to the beach and the toilets. Perfect!

My dog actually doesn't particularly like camping. She's a real wuss. But I don't care: I'm not leaving her behind every time we go!

Our first camping trip for this season will be the October long weekend and I can't wait. I'm of course already buying new gear and gadgets. The most important one will be the basket to go on my new roof racks. Now my daughter learnt to ride a bike, there is no way we're going to fit all we need inside my little Astra anymore!

Am looking forward to reading your posts and talking about camping with people who love it as much as we do!

Lin
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Newbie introduction

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:58 pm

Hi Lin and WELCOME to the forum. A few of us on here who like to take our canine kids camping with us, me included. In fact both my 'girls' love camping....no wooses here.

Canberra...bit cold, no wonder you head for the coast to camp. Glad to hear that your little girls also like camping....I reckon it is a great recreation for kids.

You need to talk to PJ...she has the art of packing a small car mastered.

Cheers...Gypsy

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:03 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm still reading posts... Sorry if I reply to really old ones. I don't always check when they were posted and I'm just so keen to join into the conversation. lol

And yeah, my dog's slightly autistic, I think. Most dogs would feel so lucky if they could have the holidays my dog has!

And the NSW South Coast isn't much warmer than Canberra unfortunately. That's why we don't go camping from about April till October. :(

And the ocean is coldest in summer! But then I don't really like swimming anyway. I just like watching other people do it!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:40 pm

Lin wrote:
But then I don't really like swimming anyway. I just like watching other people do it!

I love the beach too and also do not like swimming....glad to know there is someone out there who thinks the same as I do about the beach.

BTW don't fret about responding to old posts...it is good to bump some of them back to the top for any newbies like yourself. Heaps of great info here.

Cheers....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:55 pm

Hi Lin

We are fairly local to you @ Yass. You don't always have to head across to the coast. You can come out our way - down to Billy Grace at Wee Jasper. It's pet friendly, riverside and fairly cheap.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Lin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:04 pm

It's so hard not to want to go to the beach when the weather's nice though! But I have always loved rivers, so I'm really interested in finding some good spots in the area. The dog would love it better too. She doesn't particularly like the beach - no shade, - but loves swimming.

Just did a Google and it looks fantastic. Does it get very busy in summer? Maybe I should start a new topic about this...
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Matilda » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi Lin

Welcome to the forum, you will plenty of help here, Thats great you love camping, i's a great activity for kids. I don'tlike beachs that much either, I would much rather go river camping. I am from Victoria so we usually go camping on the Murray River and we have travelled up north to the Top End which was excellent. Happy Camping in October, we are going in November
Prepare and Enjoy the Great Outdoors
http://www.familyfriendlyozcamping.com.au/
Matilda
Captain Camping

Return to Introductions: