Hello From Sydney, Watch out Tasmania

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Hello From Sydney, Watch out Tasmania

Postby two40 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:19 pm

:hello:

My name's George and I'm a bit of a grease monkey. I love my cars and often venture out to B roads to enjoy the scenery. I drive because I love to and have no need for it at other times since I catch public transport to work. Which brings me to... I work in a book store and love a good read. Also a good cup of coffee and all sorts of films. All this brings me to why I'm here. Next year I'm taking a trip to Tasmania to enjoy their excellent roads while camping out, enjoying the scenery and relaxing in the evening with a good cup of coffee, a book, or a movie on my portable player.

This is my itinerary for the ~12 day trip I'm planning in February. I intend to stay a couple of days in some places like Cradle Mountain, Mt Field and Freycinet. This brings me to a question I had.

When staying at a campsite for a couple of nights, what do you do with your erected tent on the second day if you wanted to go for a long bushwalk? Do you leave it erect and hope no one steals it? Collapse it and pack it away in the car and hope no one takes your campsite? Just a concern I had. Thanks in advance for the answers.

I've been carefully selecting and buying equipment with a view of one day trying out overnight hiking but for the time being it will be car camping all the way until I get used to it all. I'm going to dip my feet in the water next month right after Easter. It'll be a couple of nights in the Hunter region. Somewhere with a lake for fishing and a decent bushwalk for beginner/intermediate. Any suggestions?

Finally, I run a blog which is centred around club level racing and the enjoyment of public B roads. I will be documenting my preparation for the road trip and obviously the trip itself. Here is my first somewhat tongue in cheek write up on Tasmania. http://chicaneculture.com/2010/03/04/tasmanian-road-trip-2011/

Cheers,
George
two40

Re: Hello From Sydney, Watch out Tasmania

Postby Titch » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:37 pm

Longford George if your a serious car buff.
Did I mention Longford?
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Dettie » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:53 pm

G'day George

You will have no problem of theft of campsite. I think sometimes the caravan parks can attract some dishonest types (perhaps the permanent residents?) but I think the more remote you are, the more honesty you'll fine.

Have fun and be sure to join in this fun and informative forum :)

Dettie (from Cherrybrook)
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:58 am

Hi George,

I'm a fellow car nut too. I use to enter in the NSW hillclimb comps, drag racing and the occasional track day at wakefield and oran parks. After an accident, I woke up to myself and swapped hobbies to the slower pace of 4WD'ing and I'm loving it. I miss going fast but at least it won't kill me.

Generally the people out there are respectful of your property and are there with the same intentions as you, To have fun. The only theft you really need to worry about is from the local wildlife. I've had possums scratching at my tent to get to a loaf of bread and a Kangaroo eating some uncooked pasta off my table while I was having dinner. So LOCK UP YOUR FOOD, you have been warned!!!

Returning to a campsite after a walk, I noticed someone had moved my table. It turned out to be my 'neighbour' because he saw that it had blown over. At Stockton beach I burried my 20L drum full of fuel in the sand in case passerby's saw it, but left everything else out. The only place I had my wallet stolen was at a van park in Rockhampton QLD. I saw a couple of young aboriginal kids playing on the swings and I didn't think to lock up the cabin. There was only $20 in it, but the inconvenience of losing my cards and license ticked me off.

In general, a bit of common sense prevails. I keep my pantry/food, wallet, phone, GPS and anything else valueble hidden and locked in the car. It also depends where you stay, If there are a few yahoo's like me about, you might want to lock up your beer. :beer
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby two40 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:41 am

Dodgy_Dave wrote:If there are a few yahoo's like me about, you might want to lock up your beer. :beer

:mrgreen: So that's how you got your name then?

Thanks for the advice. Just not sure what the norm is and I really don't wish to be stuck without a tent a couple of days into a 12 day trip. I'm sure, like you say, most people out there are looking to have fun and not steal other's property.
two40

Postby Dettie » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:06 pm

Just to reiterate, as per Dave, you will find that people want to help you rather than harm. I always lock up my laptop but that's about it. You'll really enjoy the friendliness of camping. I've done several solo trips and you'll make friends with your neighbours by the time your tent is erected. People really do tend to look out for each other.

Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby two40 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:17 pm

That's great to hear Dettie. :)

I've found a camp site I want to visit this Easter holidays. It's Dunns Swamp at Wollemi National Park. Looks like an easy enough place for a first timer and the bonus is I get to drive up Putty Rd (fantastic drive) and then circle around the National Park. Can't wait. :grin:
two40

Postby Dettie » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:54 pm

That place looks really nice! I just googled it and will add to my to-do list. I've decided I'm going to get away the weekend after next to Watagan Mountains. It's also close to Sydney;

http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/NSWCo ... tains.aspx

I'll do a review when I get back and if you do the same, I'd love to read it! When are you thinking of going? ps just saw Easter hols :)

Dettie

PS A really nice spot I've found is a bit further north - Delicate Nobby just near Crescent Head. I'll be there over Easter :)
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:39 pm

Can I offer a word of caution here.....yes most campers are friendly and honest BUT it is like everything else you will get the bad ones mixed in the bunch as well, the opportunists.

Just be cautious, put the attractive and/or costly items away out of sight.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:27 pm

two40 wrote:
Dodgy_Dave wrote:If there are a few yahoo's like me about, you might want to lock up your beer. :beer

:mrgreen: So that's how you got your name then?

I can fix anything, I have duct tape !! :grin:
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby CampGrrlz » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:16 pm

Dodgy_Dave wrote:I can fix anything, I have duct tape !! :grin:

Aha! Must be the new 'nail file and bobby pin' which was supposed to be the woman's standby and if it couldn't be fixed with these 'tools' then it was not worth fixing ;-)

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby 2003gxl » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:24 am

(Quote)
I've found a camp site I want to visit this Easter holidays. It's Dunns Swamp at Wollemi National Park. Looks like an easy enough place for a first timer and the bonus is I get to drive up Putty Rd (fantastic drive) and then circle around the National Park. Can't wait.

Dunn Swamp is a lovely spot to kick back and relax, We went at easter 2 years ago and the place was pretty well packed. I will have to get back up that way again as my mate lives not far from there.
Greg
GXL 3ltr TD Prado Auto and Alloy Bullbar , IPF Extremes, Dual batteries, Safari Dtronics Chip radiator bash plate,uhf, Mandrel Bent Exhaust 2inch Lift & Gdyr MTR 70 series play tyres on steelies
2003gxl

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:18 am

I agree with Greg about Dunne's swap being packed.

We did a day trip drive out there a couple of years ago and it was chokkas. School hols plus Easter it will be full to the brim & not just with campers but also with day trippers!!!! ::()

We would love to go back there but not at such a busy period.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:46 pm

2003gxl wrote: bonus is I get to drive up Putty Rd (fantastic drive) .

I LOVE driving the Putty....long time since I have though.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby two40 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:33 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I have taken the week after Easter off and will be going up for the Wed/Thu most likely. Should miss the mad rush of Easter weekend.

gypsylady wrote:
2003gxl wrote: bonus is I get to drive up Putty Rd (fantastic drive) .

I LOVE driving the Putty....long time since I have though.

When selecting a campsite, driving the Putty was the #1 priority. :mrgreen:
two40

Next

Return to Introductions: