Hi from VIC

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Hi from VIC

Postby Kelly i » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:25 pm

Just wanted to say hi. :hello: Were a famiy of three. Hubby , i and a 6 yr old son. Not new to camping, but new to camping in Aus. We have just arranged to take Jan 2012 off to explre this great place. Planning to head up to Cairnes the quickest way possible by car, then planning on returning to VIc via the coastal route.

On the look out for some camping grounds, so all reccomendations welcome. Also probably some camping tips specific to Aus.

Kelly
Kelly i

Re: Hi from VIC

Postby Rosco1 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:23 pm

Hi Kelly..... New to camping in Aussie you say......Hmmm.......BRAVE choice heading up to Cairns at that time of the year.....its their Very warm summer time coupled with possible ''Cyclone'' / Rain time of the year.....
Sorry to put a ''dampner'' on things but, as a general rule here..its head South OR the Southern end of Western Australia for Summer.....North for Winter

Our very own ''SEASONED'' Camper...Gypsy is up that way camping at present and you can be sure that even she will head back South to escape the possible Northern Cyclones over the Summer months.

Cheers :beer

Rosco
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:20 am

Kelly i wrote: all reccomendations welcome. Also probably some camping tips specific to Aus.
Kelly

Rosco1 wrote:Our very own ''SEASONED'' Camper...Gypsy is up that way camping at present and you can be sure that even she will head back South to escape the possible Northern Cyclones over the Summer months.
Rosco

ABSOLUTELY, will be outta here by mid October at the latest.

Another thing to consider at that time of year Kelly is that you can't swim up here in NQ from October to April. There are stingers and box jelly fish during the summer months. Signs up along all the beaches warning of them.

I seriously suggest that you reconsider and come during the cooler months. The heat and the humidity over the summer months will make it very unpleasant for you and more so the little fella.

I am currently just north of Mackay and the weather is divine at this time of year....lovely warm days and coolish nights....average temps range between 10 and 24-25 most days.

Like Rosco, I am sorry to put a dampener on your plans but think you would prefer to have this information before you decide to travel up here so that you can then make an informed decision.

Camping tips for camping in Au during the summer months.......drinking water, Hat, preferably a broad brimmed hat, Sunnies, loads of Sunscreen and just as much INSECT repellent and more drinking water. All absolutely must haves.

In regard to campgrounds, yes there are quite a few. I strongly recommend that you purchase the Camps Australia Wide 6 publication; it has some 3700 listings of free and lost cost camps aust wide.....a fantastic traveling companion. Suggest you purchase it for RACV if you are a member as they should have it at a discounted price. This is what you are looking for and the updates are put up on site regularly http://www.campsaustraliawide.com/

Again if you have RACV membership I imagine they will have a camping and CPs publication which they give to members for free....at least RACQ in Qld does.

Then there is also this site http://ozcamps.net/ and of course Badgers site as well http://home.vicnet.net.au/~badger04/ though you will need a laptop and the internet to access theses sites as you travel.

And after all that Kelly............WELCOME to the forum.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:21 pm

:hello:

Welcome to the forum Kelly

Looks like you may have to change your plans. We usually go camping over the first week of Jan every year and it's the hottest part of the year, but we usually stay in a caravan park for that week and it's usually on the water (lake or river for us as the beaches are also way too busy for our liking) and we are usually in NSW or VIC.

The rest of the year we do mostly bush camping with a few parks thrown in to keep the two teenage daughters happy.

Look forward to hearing more about your plans. :+
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby John S » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:34 am

Hi, we are new to Australia by 1 year, and love camping too, where abouts in Vic are you? we drove to Brisbane last Xmas and returned along the NSW coast, it was wet for the 4 days in QLD but really lovely on the Nsw coast and Canberra, we returned via Albury and stayed 4 nights we liked it near the Murray. We are off along the Great ocean road this Xmas into SA then up to Mildura and home by the 4th Jan. Hanging Rock was good and so was Philip Island we use the Familly parks with all the things you need even a pool.
John S

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:18 pm

:hello: Welcome to the forum John...

Looking forward to hearing how your trip goes this Xmas as we have seen some of the Murray River down Vic way (Swan Hill, Echuca) but would love to start in SA and work our way down. We were looking at going to Wentworth this Xmas as we couldn't get into any parks in Mildura as they were full, but to say that we wanted a powered site that was waterfront.... ::()

We can't get away this Xmas so we have had to put our trip on hold, which is a bummer as Wentworth is where the Murray & Darling Rivers meet and it's supposed to be gorgeous. We have also been looking at getting away for maybe a week and tripping down to Albury for a look too.....just have to wait and see.

Murray River & Darling River runs are two trips we most want to do but getting enough time away from our business is proving difficult as we want to go for about 3 weeks for each. One day... :armsup

Again welcome to the forum.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:18 pm

John S wrote:Hi, we are new to Australia by 1 year, and love camping too

WELCOME to the forum John and a belated welcome to Australia too. You'll love GOR and we'd love to see a bit of a report and pics when you return.

Actually if you can manage we'd love to see some pix from your trip last Xmas.

Where are you from John and is your move to Aust permanent??

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby John S » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:40 pm

We are from northern England and yes the move is permanent if the residency goes through without a hitch, we are early 50's and decided to have a go at something differentbefore life runs out, so we left the kids(grown ups) and took this oppertunity with a sponsor for my job. So far so good and Im going to be a Grand dad next year :grin: , my youngest broke the news to us the other night. I guess we will be making a trip to UK then after all.
John S

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:31 pm

John....what EXCITING news for you re the coming grandbaby.

And what a great adventure you will have here in Aust....it is a fantastic county with such diversity.

I hope you have Skype on your computer to keep in touch with the family back home, especially when you travel. You'll have so much to share with them during your travels.

Any chance of some pics form your last travels??

Cheers Gypsy

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Introductions: