Single with a dog

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Single with a dog

Postby Claire G » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:14 pm

Hi All,

I used to go camping all the time with the family in the UK when I was growing up, I moved to Australia by myself 8 years ago and never got into camping until now. A guy I was dating this year took me away camping and made me realise how much I missed it. I am now single but figured I can go camping on my own and I have a dog for company (a Schnauzer X Poodle). I'm wondering if you can recommend any dog friendly campsites that I can visit within a couple of hours from Melbourne. I would prefer to stay at established campsites with toilets etc than just a random spot with no one else around, especially since I am a single female travelling on my own. Also, what do you do with your dogs when camping? Back home we just used a cage that the dog slept in under the awning, what about wildlife being a little interested in him? My family used to be member of a camping and caravanning club in the UK where they could get discounted rates at campsites, a publication every year with campsite details and they would also organise group events for people of similar age groups or interests. Is there anything like this that I can get involved with? It would be great if there were camping events I could get involved in.

Thanks for reading!
Claire
Claire G

Re: Single with a dog

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:34 am

Hi Claire and WELCOME to our Forum.

There are a couple solo ladies on here who camp with their canine kids....tho none of us in the Melbourne district of which I am aware. Not to say that there are not some members here who can advise you of places for you to visit. You are also wise to be mindful of the fact that you are traveling and camping on your own.

I have 2 who come camping with me all the time and they sleep inside with me just as they do at home.

Most places with 'pet friendly' status do request that your dog be leashed at all times and of course you must always pick up their 'barker eggs'.

This site may be of help to you http://ozcamps.net/

I also suggest you spend some time going back through the folders here, you will find some great hints and tips and some wonderful adventures as well.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: Single with a dog

Postby Rosco1 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:33 pm

Howdy Claire & welcome to the family :armsup ...lol
Heaps of individual campers out there quite happily camping on their own....and with their Pets just to pleased to welcome you into their fun times.(happy hour)

You ask-----
Also, what do you do with your dogs when camping? Back home we just used a cage that the dog slept in under the awning,

You can do the same here BUT be very contious of ''Snakes'' getting into the cage....your Pet could be defenseless (sp)....not being able to escape.
My Bro-in-law not long ago returned from a camping trip where one of their group got bitten as he climbed out of their caravan.....Seems the Snake was attracted to the DAWGS water bowl left outside the door... :(

We haven't camped down your way yet ourselves....but its on our ''to do'' list

Cheers :beer :beer
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Introductions: