I love Camping! But with kids???

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Postby Scolers » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:11 pm

We don'y have a pull out sink (from trailer) as it takes up too much trailer space. Just a simple table top with a small basin does it for us.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:53 pm

Scolers if you have time can you look at this website and look at the picture next to the options right at the bottom. I am thinking of this sort of setup on the sliding drawer, but without the fridge (as I can't afford it yet but it might go there later) and without the cooker, just shelf space in that area. Do you think that would take up 2 much space in the trailer? I was thinking that saves me packing an extra table and the basin anyway?? And gives me a food prep area and a place I can put kitchen stuff out of the way of little fingers. But do you think this sort of setup is overkill?? Would appreciate thoughts good or bad :)
Thanks

http://www.3dogcamping.com/trailers.html#
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:11 pm

OK ... first of all let me start by saying I just don't like kitchens on CT's. My reaons are:

1. They take up too much space.

Is the camper you are getting a 6x4ft trailer? If so, from looking at the pic (the one down the bottom) it looks like the width of the sink is 1.5 - 2ft. That will leave you with 4ft of space in the camper. Not a lot really when you think of the kids things you'll need to take as well as hubby's toys (bet he has a few!). If you take a table it will fold flat in your CT and you can still stack stuff on top of that. A basin will cost you a couple of dollars and you can still pack things inside that. Most kitchens I've seen are just a waste of space becuase they have cabinets that can't be utilised effectively to store gear when travelling. JMO

2. They cost a lot if it is an option you have added on from the manufacturer.

How much extra will your kitchen cost you? If it is $500 or more then my comments from (1) still apply ie. the table will cost about $100 (and may even come with bench seats) and the basin will cost you $5 (if that).

Having said all of this I will admit that I am one of the few people who don't like a kitchen on a CT. I feel they are a gimick and yet ppl looking for a CT will fall for it (sorry ... I don't mean your thick).

So far as packing the 'extra basin' etc. well, you're going to have a table set up somehwere and the 'extra' basin that is part of the kitchen will still have to be packed.

I will stress (again) one thing, if you CT is a 6x4ft then I really feel that is too small for adding a kitchen as it will rob you of a lot of space.

Good Luck!

:armsup :armsup :armsup

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Scolers » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:13 pm

Something I forgot to add ... where do you intend camping? If the answer is mainly caravan parks then you can always use the campers kitchen ... great place to meet ppl too!

Oh! Another thing to think of is resale. If you think you might be upgrading in a coupe of years then maybe grin and bear the cost of the kitchen ... AND ... lastly ... have a look INSIDE the trailer when the ktichen is closed and see how much room is left. don't forget you will be taking more than just clothing ... 8)

;)

Cheers ...

Scoll.
Last edited by Scolers on Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:26 pm

Thanks Scolers, really appreciate your honesty, lots to think about, looks like the one I showed you is not the option we would be having, it is something much more simpler, if I could figure out how to insert a pic I could show you.

I was thinking mostly of the convenience of having the water tank fitted to the trailer with a pump tap and basin. But I am now reconsidering it, perhaps if it is something we want later we could get someone to fit it especially, if we decide we have to have it.

We are talking about a cost of around $800, I think it appeals to the cook in me and my whole kitchen obsession, ie. the kitchen is my domain and I like to have it a special way, I love kitchen gadgets too!

I had a friend say to me (but they are caravan people) that they would go for the kitchen, ease of storage ie. it's all in place no fussing with packing etc.... aaaahhh it's so hard.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:32 pm

mummeee74 wrote:

We are talking about a cost of around $800, I think it appeals to the cook in me and my whole kitchen obsession, ie. the kitchen is my domain and I like to have it a special way, I love kitchen gadgets too!

If you really want a nice kitchen where you can set out food, dishes etc MAYBE this is a better option? Also, I edited my last post ... added on stuff about resale value etc.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:50 pm

We intend to keep this for 10yrs, I can't see us upgrading as our car cannot cope with anything bigger and I really don't have a probably in driving a medium, fuel efficient car, we only do around 10K/year. This will obviously change with weekends away etc. But mostly will be short trips.

Nope I am definitely thinking along your lines now and it can always be added later if wanted.

Well I think I am decided LOL
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Komodo » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:51 pm

Not having owned or used a camper i cant comment on wether or not it like them. I do like the idea though.
But like Scol says they are often over priced for when you get and IMO a good cabinet maker could make the same thing for alot less! and probably on better roller systems too.
In most of the kitchens ive seen the sink is generally still just a standard rectangular tub and not a proper sink.
Those that I've seen with proper sinks rarely have them draining properly either.
and sweet FA of them have storage suitable for transport.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby jollyroger » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:45 pm

Our CT came with a kitchen of sorts. It has a cupboard area and hole in the top for a plastic removeable sink. I never really thought about the kitchen until reading all your posts. We got the CT in March this year and so far it has been a place to store extra stuff and a place to put things on when camping. We (missus) always prepare and we (me) eat outside.

We bought a preparation table that works better than the "Kitchen" The storage area under the sink holds all the lights, powerboards...toaster kettle and things that go great with power.

It's nice we have one but if it had to go for some reason - I doubt we would miss it. Just means we can put more crap in the trailer.
:(
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:22 pm

Thanks all! Yep I think we have decided to skip the kitchen and as someone suggested get a cabinet maker down the track if necessary, actually hubby is pretty good with woodwork so we could do it ourselves (geez never even occurred to me until now). And I get to keep my $800!

Scolers I just have to tell you this (perhaps you won't find it as funny as me) and I didn't dare post it on the site. But I was looking a the camping WA site and someone mentioned that the white trailer would go well with their white CWA sticker anyway I couldn't figure out why the guy had a country womens association sticker on his car???? Yeah OK thought I might give you a chuckle. No blonde jokes either OK.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:18 am

mummeee74 wrote:Scolers I just have to tell you this (perhaps you won't find it as funny as me) and I didn't dare post it on the site. But I was looking a the camping WA site and someone mentioned that the white trailer would go well with their white CWA sticker anyway I couldn't figure out why the guy had a country womens association sticker on his car???? Yeah OK thought I might give you a chuckle. No blonde jokes either OK.

Those stickers are hot stuff! The Country Women's Joke does the rounds on that site occasionally ... somone even posted up a Country Women's hall and called it our HQ ... :armsup

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

camping with kids

Postby Nenie23 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:27 pm

Hi Mummee!!!!
Welcome to the world of camping with kids. It really is not as hard as people make out. You just need to be organised, but dont worry, you will still forget something on every trip.

My hubby and I have 2 kids, now 7 and 5 (+ 2 dogs) and took our daughter on her first camping trip at 6 weeks old. Our first CT was the fold out style with a box trailer underneath. Hubby recons that would be the best for you to tow as TAR weight is about 400kilo unloaded. (Panel beater so he should know). We had one with an awning and it was great.
It fitted 9 x 60 litre plastic containers perfectly underneath. I just put a hook on the end of my broom to pull the containers out. (Used one for us, one for linnen, one for the kids, 1 for kitchen stuff, 1 for food and the rest for other crap.

About the lights, we purchased a set of 4 of the outdoor solar lights, put them outside of a day time to charge, then put one at the foot of each childs bed, it gave off enough light to keep them happy. I also used to have a "wee bucket" for those 2am pit stops, and my kids soon became masters at doing the good old "bucket wee". BUT DONT KICK THE BUCKET OVER!!!!!! :***

We then upgraded to a Jayco Pop Top, but that would be too heavy as it has a tar weight of around 900kilo. That was great for our first big trip. We did from Central Coast of NSW up to Cooktown, far north QLD, then down through Charleville and the outback of NSW, then Dubbo then home. Total kms of 7,500 in 5 weeks. Kids were 2 and 4 yrs then. It was great. Highly recommended and eldest still remembers the trip.

Another trip we did was through the centre of Australia - a total of 11,000kms in 5 weeks. So worth it for the kids.

We upgraded again, and again, and now have a caravan that we will be taking 12 months off to go around Australia.

Kids love travelling so much that my son wanted to go to Broken Hill for his 5th birthday so we can go fossicking. (Only a 3 day trip).

A really nice place to stay with little kids is Swansea Gardens Caravan Park. (Bout 1 30mins from Wahroonga) There is a playground and pool at the park and is on the lake. It is very shallow at the edge of the lake and is no more than knee height for at lease 20 metres. Gives the kids a great place to play. Check out swansea@lakemacholidayparks.com.au . Let me know if you want some more information bout it.

Waffled on enough. Take care. Nenie
Be happy - take the family camping.
Nenie23
Captain Camping

Postby Nenie23 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:28 pm

so sorry guys - thought the first one didnt go through!!!!!
Be happy - take the family camping.
Nenie23
Captain Camping

Postby mummeee74 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:35 pm

Thanks Nenie, that park looks perfect for a test run when we get this trailer. Yep we are going as lightweight as we can even getting an aluminium trailer to satisfy hubby's weight phobia, I don't think he is going to let me pack anything in it either :grin:

The solar light is a great idea, will have to pick up one or 2 of those.

I would love it if one of my kids wanted to go fossicking, that would be awesome, beats a McDonalds party!!

We have been to central aus and I would love to take the kids there when they are older - fantastic!

Any tips on sleeping, I am a bit worried how on earth I am going to get them to sleep at night when they will be together in the same sleeping area, I am sure they are going to keep each other awake hours before they go to sleep. It's my main concern actually!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:47 pm

mummeee74 wrote:
Any tips on sleeping, I am a bit worried how on earth I am going to get them to sleep at night when they will be together in the same sleeping area, I am sure they are going to keep each other awake hours before they go to sleep. It's my main concern actually!

Slip 'em a few G&T's after the evening meal ... ;)

Our son goes to sleep as soon as his head hits the pillow. If you've been out all day you shouldn't have too much trouble.

:armsup

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions: