Girraween Camping (private prop)

Girraween Camping (private prop)

Postby freeneasy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:44 pm

This is another one of my favourite spots I try to get to at least once every year.

This cattle property backs on to the northern boundry to the National Park. These were taken last Easter when the National Park camping ground had wall to wall tents.

Anyone who has been there will know how spectacular all those different shape Granite boulders look. No two look alike.

Of course photos can never do the scenery justice.

Happy camping

Ray
freeneasy
Camping King

Re: Girraween Camping (private prop)

Postby markannab » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:00 pm

I was born & bred at Stanthorpe near Girraween and climbed the Pyramids many times!
Freelance Design, Printing and Rubber Stamps: http://www.worldofprinting.com
markannab
Captain Camping

Postby freeneasy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:11 pm

That would have kept you fit. Wonder if that Balancing Rock will ever go rolling down???

Gets rather chilly in the winter there but that seems to bring the tourists in for some reason.

Probably a good excuse to sit around the fire at one of the many wineries after a day exploring.

Cheers

Ray
freeneasy
Camping King

Postby ben... » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:20 pm

looks fantastic. as you seem to have a private prop to stay, i assume this is open for public bookings? where would be an alternative place to stay around there, and would be suitable to see the sights?
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby Troyk » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:28 pm

Ben,

You can stay at the campgrounds at the national park.

This is a write up I did viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2127

The photos were taken Easter 2005, and I have to say giving credit to EPA it wasn't wall to wall tents. People were pretty much spread out. Bit of a queue for the toilets though. :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby ben... » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:34 pm

champion troy, thanks mate.
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby freeneasy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:52 pm

Sorry Ben the place I stay at is private property and not open to the public. As Troyk says there is a big camping ground in the National Park but Easter in 2008 must be more popular than 2005 because it was pretty crowded when we passed through there.

Ray
freeneasy
Camping King

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:58 pm

freeneasy wrote:Sorry Ben the place I stay at is private property and not open to the public. As Troyk says there is a big camping ground in the National Park but Easter in 2008 must be more popular than 2005 because it was pretty crowded when we passed through there.

Ray

Interesting ....................

I have heard that there has been a significant increase in the sale of camping gear in the past coupole of years. Also Caravan Parks are reporting increases in bookings.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby ben... » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:13 pm

yeah we'll stay away from the peak times, they joys of having a junk of long service leave and annual leave sitting there.
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby Troyk » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:16 pm

Ray,It was a full house back in 2005, and the thing that stuck out was that it wasn't wall to wall to tents. There would have been 300+ people (capacity is 350) in the grounds, and were spread out. The EPA could have squeezed heaps more people. I reckon the nearest camper to us was good 10 to 15 metres. Mate, If you think that is wall to wall tents then you are going to be dissappointed in alot of campgrounds.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk

Postby Troyk » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:21 pm

ben... wrote:yeah we'll stay away from the peak times, they joys of having a junk of long service leave and annual leave sitting there.

Hey Ben, I got both of those but also have school age kids, so without taking the kids out of school, I am tied to the school holidays and long weeknds. :(

Troyk

Postby freeneasy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:28 pm

They were certainly a lot closer than 10 to 15 metres so I dont know what happened there. I am not doubting what you say so the only thing I can figure is that as we were passing through that section it must have been a group booking who had couple of tents on each site.

I have been camping for many years and have been quite contented with the allocated space.

Ray
freeneasy
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:48 am

ben... wrote:where would be an alternative place to stay around there, and would be suitable to see the sights?

There is also Sommerville Valley Campground at Stanthorpe http://www.sommervillevalley.com.au
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby TBF » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:52 am

All that Granite Belt country is good camping.
Just had a 2 night stopover at Girraween between Christmas and New Year.
The place was very green and the creek was running hard.

Not crowded over the Summer holidays.
Capacity was 350 and EPA website showed still between 150 and 200 campers available most of the time.

Aart
TBF
Camping Veteran

Postby Troyk » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:17 am

gypsylady wrote:
ben... wrote:where would be an alternative place to stay around there, and would be suitable to see the sights?

There is also Sommerville Valley Campground at Stanthorpe http://www.sommervillevalley.com.au

By the back roads it would be 20km away, alot more if you want to sick to the tarmac.

The big advantage of Bald Rock and Castle Rock, you start the walk from your tent.

Troyk

Next

Return to Queensland