Gen Sets

List your stuff for sale or wanted here. Outdoor furniture, home, gardening, clothing, anything really except motor vehicles or real estate as that is catered for below. Post or sell offer here for free. (Add you suburb, buy or sell and item to heading we will organise letter).

Gen Sets

Postby Scolers » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:54 am

I've considered getting a small gen set to run a 90 litre bar fridge but there are sooooooooooooo many on the market I wouldn't have a clue where to start. The Honda's have sttruck me as the better one's as they are quieter although a tad more expensive. Here's my list of WTF do I need:

What size would I be looking at?

Price?

How much fuel would I need for ... say ... 4 nights?

And above all I would want it to be quiet.

Cheers ...

8)

Scol.

(Krmaer this mught be a good question for you to answer :)).
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Kramer » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:49 am

Too easy, a bar fridge chews a lot of power on start-up, but not too much when running. The small Honda Model "EU20i U" Should cover what you need it has a fuel capacity of 4.1 litres and can run for 15hrs on that. If you have ever heard a Honda gennie running you would be amazed so quiet. Pity I can't afford one!

Easiest way to do this is go to your honda dealer with the fridge in the car and ask if you can try it out on your fridge.

Or if you could give me the details of whats on the sticker on the back of the fridge eg how many amps/watts it draws, I can tell you exactly which one to grab.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:54 am

No wattage sign that I culd see but input current was 0.65amps.

Any idea on the cost of such a beastie?

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Kramer » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:15 pm

Wow 0.65 amps is not much at all! My little gen set from bunnings can run that, but maybe not start it as the start up current will probably too high!

I am not to sure these days what they are worth here are a list of dealers in WA (I think you are there?) http://www.hondampe.com.au/dealerlocator/dealers.asp?cboDepartment=All&cboDealerType=All&cboState=WA&action=SearchDealer

I think the base model will run your fridge perfectly, but after you get a generator you won't go back, so maybe something with a little more power to run lights and maybe a laptop etc. I sometimes use mine for a TV and playstation for my friends kids when we go camping, that way they don't bother us while we make dinner and have drinks around the campfire at night!
Kramer

Postby Scolers » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:20 pm

It's only a small 90litre bar fridge.

I can't beleive you take playstation with you ... we go camping to get our son away from that!

And thanks for the dealers etc. There's one just down the road ... might have a chat to him.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:32 am

Dual battery in your car not an option? Certainly quietter and much cheaper than a Honda gennie (hondas usually start at ~$1000 IIRC). A top of the line deep cylce battery would only set you back ~300 and would prolly last close to 4 days, if not, just take your car for a drive for a half hour or so :idea: And if your clever you can set it up yourslef, with an isolator so you dont run your cranking battery flat. A can even go 3 battery's if you wanted, but I should think 2 good ones would be enough. YMMV
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:42 pm

It's not a bad idea but I wanted to be able to plug my fridge (240volt) in to something. Given it's an $85 2nd hand fridge I might wait a year or two before I purchase a camp fridge (12v/240v) and get a dual battery system.

Anyone had one fitted and if so how much?

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:53 pm

You can run 240v off a dual battery system, you just need an inverter, about $69 for a cheapie, and up to $300+ for brand name and higher output. Basically, do your research, i'm not trying to turn you off the genie Idea, but I'd say you could get a dual battery system installed by a sparky for about $900, thats assuming your spending about $600 on two, new, top of the line batteries. Labour should only be $100 i should think, and then allowing 200 for the isolator (isolates your deep cycle from your cranking battery, so that you always have one charged to start your car)and wiring etc. When the time comes (read; when i get enough time and $$ lol) I'll be doing mine myself as theres really not that much involved.

So for $1000, MAX, with all top of the line stuff, you can have essentially a silent Genie, and be able to run most household appliances :idea: Still cheaper than the 'quiet' Hondas, unless you can find a 2nd hand one maybe :idea: But like i said, do your research, find out what the appliances you want to use will draw, then speak to a auto electrician about dual batts, and how long a deep cycle battery will run these appliances for without being charged. Unfortunately I have only annacdotal (sp) advice, no solid facts :mrgreen: (I just really got sick of the noise from a Genie for 3 days at stockton beach :roll: :x )
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:35 am

I'm off to get my Lotto ticket ... :D
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Kramer » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:56 am

ozzycamperboy wrote:i'm not trying to turn you off the genie Idea

I think its a good idea, I could use one of these most days.

ozzycamperboy wrote:(I just really got sick of the noise from a Genie for 3 days at stockton beach :roll: :x )

How could you get sick of the noise of this genie? :lol:
[/img]http://www.slickbuys.com/store/html/images/lingerie/leather/cart_18-2067.jpg
Kramer

Postby Kramer » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:57 am

whoops wrong picture

Kramer

Postby Scolers » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:03 pm

So now we know Kramer's style of women ... ;)

Back on topic (sorta) ... we went fishing on the weekend overnight and my mate took his waeco 36ltr fridge. He ran it all night on the car battery and had no problems starting the next day. Mind you, he did admit that if we were to stay a second night fate wouldn't have been so kind.

:shock:

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Kramer » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:36 pm

Yeah you will only get a night out of a single battery, not two generally. But you could start the car and let it idle for 15 mins the next day and it will charge it up quite quickly. We had to do this on extended stays in cape york.
Kramer

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:41 pm

Kramer wrote:Yeah you will only get a night out of a single battery, not two generally. But you could start the car and let it idle for 15 mins the next day and it will charge it up quite quickly. We had to do this on extended stays in cape york.
Yeah, but it was a cranking battery that was running it. With a dual battery system, your second battery is a 'deep cycle' battery, its designed for prolonged use, not a short burst of high energy (like a cranking batt), so it should last atleast 2 if not more days.
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:08 pm

Irresepctive ... it's still good to know it can be done ... I'm thinking more and more of the dual battery system (ta Ozzy) all I need know is $1200 to get an 80 litre WAECO fridge!

:shock:

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Next

Return to Buy & Sell