repairing tent screens

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

repairing tent screens

Postby MSkinner » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:14 pm

I'm a little annoyed at myself for having to make this post. We spent the weekend at the Prom camping and surfing...could have asked for better weather (we packed up in the rain) but had a fun time nonetheless. Hadn't been to the Prom since before I moved to Canada in '93 and remembered little of it. What a beautiful place. Found tidal river perfect in every single way, especially the amazing facilities. The wildlife turned out to be our only problem, but this could have easily been avoided by us if we only had've thought for a second.

We have a Wild Country Geo Family 4 tent. We use the main room strictly as our sleeping quarters and the other room for everything else, including cooking, lounging, gear storage, etc. We ate dinner, washed up, and headed for bed...forgetting to put the food properly away either in an airtight esky or in the car. Sure as taxes, 20 minutes later a wombat began ripping through the screen food to get at the aroma of the salt n vinegar chips. I chased the little guy off and put the food in the car. No more wombat problems after that.

The point of this insanely long post is, now we have a 50c size rip in one of the screen doors of our tent. I duct taped it immediately to stop it from getting any larger and are now wondering if anyone has any ideas as far as properly repairing it. It's not a huge deal. I could even leave the tape on there and it'd be fine. If anything it's just an eyesore on an otherwise perfect tent.

If you've gotten this far, thanks for reading through my post. Sorry about the long post!

Matt
MSkinner

Postby amanda » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:52 pm

Iron on hemming tape would stay put a bit better than duct tape I would think - you can get it at stores like Spotlight. It's very simple to use, you just cut it to the size you want and iron it onto the screen (using a low heat setting). You can get it it various colours, however I'd suggest clear would be the best bet for a screen.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:42 pm

What she said :grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Gear Guide