Planning a 10 week Campervan holiday in Australia

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby Gerry Simpson » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:10 pm

I want to plan a holiday starting Dec 06 thru March 07 in Australia, using a camper van. I need advice on hiring a campervan. where to go and what to see. I would like to see some cricket 20/20 or ODI England V Aus. And would like to see the Melbourne GP if possible. Where is the best place to start? Any good hire companies for a fair sized camper. what books web sites software to use?

Any help gratefully received.
Gerry Simpson
Boy Scout

Postby Scolers » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:20 pm

My first question is what part/s of Aussie do you want to see? I take it you are from the UK? To give you an idea Perth to Sydney is approx. 3500km's. Melbourne to Brisbane is approx. 2000k's and don't forget there's at least another 2000k's from Brisbane to Cape York.

In regard to hire companies just google it in and see what you get. They are all pretty similar but if you email around you're deals will get better. Also, the fact that you want the van for 10 weeks will be a good bargaining point.

Another thing to rememebr too ... it's BLOODY HOT at that time of year especially if you are coming from the UK and it's sub zero temperatures. so just be aware of that.

Once you've given the board an indication of what you want to do and how far you are prepared to travel we can then offer you some basic itineries.

Cheers ...
Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Gerry Simpson » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:45 pm

Thanks Scol. I want see it all realy, GBR Ayers rock and the coast round melbourne , Lakes Entrance etc.

We are not frightened of driving, did a six week 5,000 mile tour of west USA a couple of years back.

Questions are is Ayres rock Alice springs drivable in a camper, or would it be best to train it? or fly? Is Darwin worth going to or is it all really east coast stuff?

I am 56 years old and the wife is 53 so we won't want too hard a schedule, one day driving 300-400 miles, two days rest.

Non wild camping all pre-booked would suit me well.

I intend taking a proper Motorhome style camper not a pop-up.
Gerry Simpson
Boy Scout

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:29 am

I've had no experience with campervans but if your hiring for ten weeks, perhaps it would be cheaper to buy one and then sell before you leave, if thats a viable optio for you.

Alice Spings/Ayers rock has decent roads into it i'd expect, best to go to a map store to find out, get a touring atlas of Oz. Its the 'roads less travelled' that get rough, the touristy places should be fine (seen buses parked near ayers :wink: ) but its a flaming LONG LONG drive. To give you a rough idea, Sydneym to Ayers rock is about 32Hrs drive, NO stopping. 2823 Kilometres :shock: I drove to condobolin, 8 hours drive, and as the bird fly's on a map i wasnt even 1/4 the way to Ayers :lol: But with 6 months, I think you could do it all. I'd go Sydney - Melbourne - along south coast then to Alice - then through outback QLD to Northern QLD, and then follow the east coast down to sydney :idea: You cover pretty much everything worth seeing bar Perth and Darwin (dont tell Scolers, but perth's not really worth seeing anyway :wink: :P )

Hope some of this helps
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:13 pm

Ayres Rock and Alice Springs are no probs (Ilived there for a few years) ... just remember Ayres Rock is 400k's of ALice (I only realised after I'd moved!).

Darwin is VERY tropical ... I lived their for 4 yrs and hated it but if you can handle the tropics then maybe it might be for you.

Wat Ozzie says about Sydney to the Rock is correct ... also you have to go via Adelaide if you're in a motor home as it is a dirt road across from NSW and it IS treacherous. Alice to Adelaide is approx 18hrs (I'll stand corrected) and there isn't much in between.

From what you have said maybe stick to the East Coast and then when you have finsihed fly to Alice and hire a conventional vehicle to go to the Rock. It's amazing country out there and I think you'll enjoy the trip of 400k's (4 hrs).

Feel free to ask more questions.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Scolers » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:15 pm

Something I'd like to re-iterate ... IT WILL BE HOT ... especially around Alice and The rock (temps of low 40's centigrade is the norm).

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Ten Weeks in Aus

Postby Gerry Simpson » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:20 pm

Thanks Camperboy, I have been quoted 10,000$ for the rental with insurance club membership etc all in place. For decent size camper a Kea 4ST at campertravel.com.au . I like the idea of 24x7 backup and not having to worry about selling again or breakdowns.

What about camp sites, are there plenty, could you break up the drive to Ayers by stopping over or is there nothing in between? If I went Sydney south Lakes entrance up thru Melbourne on to Adalaide and go from there to Ayers? then keep going north as you say, whats the drive like?

Is Australia camper friendly? or does everyone think they are pain in the butt? Would it be safe to drive from adalaide to Ayers alone?
Gerry Simpson
Boy Scout

Postby Scolers » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:59 pm

There's camping sites and caravan parks all over that area. Some good some basci ... most usually clean.

Between Adelaide and Ayers Rock you have a number of places ... Coober Pedy is worth a look ... maybe Kulgera ... but that would be aboout it but still within your 400miles a day ... just ... ;)

Very camper freindly, and very safe to travel between Adelaide and Alice.
It's the mian road that connects Darwin to Adelaide.

The drive you have mapped out would be a bloody good one ... Victoria has what's called The Ocean Road ... very pretty ... but for the time you are going you WILL have to book for caravan parks.

The trip thru to Adleaide from the Ocean Road is also nice too.

Hope this helps.

:)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Scolers » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:38 pm

Here's a few web sites that might help you. Both are about cravan parks. The first one bascially lists the parks and their features:

http://www.goseeaustralia.net.au/caravanparkspage.asp

The second one is by individuals who have been there and their thoughts about the park. I don't agree with all of the reports but it gives you an idea.

Look at the bottom left for the different states.

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~badger04/

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Gerry Simpson » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:05 am

Thanks everyone, that's really encouraging. I plan to fly out in January just after we hand back the Ashes. In time for us to give you hell on the ODI and 20/20 games.

I will plan the route suggested, but probably stop in Adelaide and catch a train across to see Perth.

I have driven the Ocean Route before in a hire car, but the wife has never been to Australia before (before what? you might ask) so she has a real treat. I would hope to hang around long enough to make the Melbourne GP.

I think I will book all the sites, I notice there are some have Top Tourist or FPA accreditation, does this count for much? What should I look for/ avoid?

Thanks.
Gerry Simpson
Boy Scout

Postby Scolers » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:09 pm

FPA, Top Tourist, Big 4 and a few others are a conglomerate of cravan parks that offer discounts. I've found the discounts to be measily at best (usually 10%). There ae some caravan parks that give you te 7th night free if you book and pay for 6 nights. I find this deal much better but you may not want to spend 6/ 7 nights in one caravan park. Your 10% deal would work out to be approx. $5 saving per visit (assuming 2 nights in each place). I guess you could buy a sandwhich and coffee with it :roll: .

Enjoy your trip!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Motorhome Hire

Postby DOCTORFOSTER » Mon May 29, 2006 12:44 pm

We've just started a new motorhome rental company in Perth. Website is http://www.avabreak.org
Same motorhome as Kheas largest 6 berth.Prices include all extras (insurance, picnic table, chairs, etc)
Haven't been picked up by search engines yet, I think you'll find we're worth considering for motorhome rental on this side of the country.
DOCTORFOSTER

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:08 am

great :) :)
Site Admin

Return to Camping Tips and Locations