Gen Sets

List your stuff for sale or wanted here. Outdoor furniture, home, gardening, clothing, anything really except motor vehicles or real estate as that is catered for below. Post or sell offer here for free. (Add you suburb, buy or sell and item to heading we will organise letter).

Postby Cheiffy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:05 pm

Hi all,

I am no auto elec but I would suggest that running a fridge off your cranking battery and running the car for 15 minutes would simply shorten the life of the battery dramatically. Batteries dont like running under 50% of their capacity and the last 20% of the charge up time takes just as long, if not longer than the first 80%. Take your car for a drive if you want to charge them up, this way your alternator should be putting more amps out and you can enjopy the scenery as well. I reckon a car just idling is nothing more than an over sized generator anyway.
I have just gone through this exercise due to the fact that my 55amp deep cycle doesnt have the kahunas to run the fridge for any real length of time. I compared using generators, solar and dumping another 2 deep cycle batteries and it was the later option I have settled on. I am going to use my existing battery isolater connected to 2 AGM deep cycle batteries and the 55amp will be disconnected from the system altogether. I will charge this one from the mains before I leave home and use it to run my camping lights only.
Scols, the only thing I would suggest is to go straight to an reputable auto elec and not one of the main stream 4wd shops. If you decide on a battery system, have them work out your usage on a worst case scenario. At least this way, you know you'll have plenty in reserve.

Check out http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/ this website is easy to read and understand. Hope it helps.

Cheers

Cheiffy
Please sir, Can I have some more? Time off that is.

"Hard at it"
Fruit Bat Falls, Cape York
Cheiffy
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:10 pm

Thanks Cheiffy,

Oddly enough I was going to go to an auto elec in our neighbourhood ... those 4wd places cost too darn much.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:19 am

Cheiffy wrote:Hi all,

Scols, the only thing I would suggest is to go straight to an reputable auto elec and not one of the main stream 4wd shops. If you decide on a battery system, have them work out your usage on a worst case scenario. At least this way, you know you'll have plenty in reserve.

Cheers

Cheiffy

Golden advice 8) 4x4 Stores will tack on about 500%, and then charge you double for labour :roll: YMMV but thats been my experience.

Scolers, I thought you just going to use the bar fridge you got for $85, instead of forkin out the $$$ for a waeco?
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:18 pm

I was OZzy ... but as you pointed out the type of gen set I was going to buy was going to cost me the equivalent of a WAECO. I can get by without both for the time being so what I mght do is get the deep cycle installed in 12 months or so and get a cheapie camper fridge and run it from the deep cycle until I can get a new WAECO (80litre). I'd still use the bar fridge for caravan parks and use the WAECO in non powered camping areas.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Kramer » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:41 am

Scolers I bought a fridge from these guys - http://www.refrigerationresearch.com.au/. Has been a mainstay in my house and car for nearly three years now, never has missed a beat. A whole heap cheaper than a waceo, my 100 ltr which is actually 100 litres inside only cost me $999.

Give them a call to see if you have a local distributer, they don't have thier full range on the website, and I can't remember which range of fridges I got mine from.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Previous

Return to Buy & Sell