Polyester vs poly/canvas tents.

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Polyester vs poly/canvas tents.

Postby BrettC » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:13 pm

We're looking at buying an easy erect tent for short stays from overnight to 1 week max.

What we've been looking at is the Blackwolf turbo range of touring tents.
The question is whether to go for the heavier, more expensive poly/canvas or the lighter, cheaper polyester?

I like the feel of a canvas tent, to me they're more traditional, but what are the advantages/disadvantages between the two.
BrettC
Boy Scout

Postby waltzingmatilda » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:53 pm

We choose the canvas tents because they are tougher, the canvas breathes so they dont sweat like the polyester does, the tourer tents are very easy to setup.
We are also looking for a new easy setup tent, most likely we will buy the canvas tourer with the inside side poles rather than the centre pole. with the extended back.
The disadvanage of the canvas tents is they take up a little more space when packed up and if they get wet must be dried out before storing.
Exciting new Aussie online community for friendship or meet your own 'Bloke' or 'Sheila"
http://www.blokesnsheilas.com.au
waltzingmatilda
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:59 am

ALL tents SHOULD be dried before paking away. I have 3 poly dome tents and Im going to get a canvas tourer soon. Sick of the heat! Plus tourers pack up and set up WAY WAY faster!
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby BrettC » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:35 pm

waltzingmatilda wrote:the canvas breathes so they dont sweat like the polyester does

I thought this too and back in the days of 100% cotton canvas I'd say it was so but with these new high density waterproof poly canvas's I wonder.

I like the feel and the smell of canvas (does this new stuff smell?), also it's shade qualities but it is much heavier. In the balckwolf range they are nearly twice as heavy, though to be fair the canvas tents do have a thicker floor in them.

Bugger it, I already have an elcheapo poly dome tent so if I'm going to treat myself to a new one I might as well go the whole hog.

The extra few hundred bucks will soon be forgotten once I've used it a couple of times but not spending that few extra hundred won't ever be.
If I can't smell the Eucalypts its not home.
BrettC
Boy Scout

Postby garbage » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:48 pm

Another plus of canvas, assuming you get the thick 10-12oz variety, is that it lets less light through (even more so if the tent is dark coloured) so you can sleep in just that much more than you would in a polyester tent. Also keeps it cooler inside when the sun is shining.

You also don't get that Austin Powers shadow puppetry when someone's in the tent at night with a torch.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby CCC » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:12 pm

garbage wrote:You also don't get that Austin Powers shadow puppetry when someone's in the tent at night with a torch.

LMAO :***
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Gear Guide