TENT CHOICE......WHICH ONE !!!

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

TENT CHOICE......WHICH ONE !!!

Postby SUNDOWNER » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:01 pm

Hi Guys N Gals

New to the forum and seeking advice on which tent to purchase if anyone can help me.

There is only two of us but we do like a lot of space therefore we have narrowed our search down to the Oztrail Sportiva Headland 12.

Would this be a good choice of tent for two people as we intend to throw it into the boat with all the other camping gear and that way we have the tent on site and the use of the boat whilst away.

What is your views good or bad on the Headland 12 or is there any other similar kind of tent out there that i am unaware of.

Any views/opinions would be welcomed.

Safe Travels

Tony

P.S. I did post similar in the General but may have put it in the wrong section being a newbie.
SUNDOWNER
Boy Scout

Postby garbage » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:36 am

How long do you generally stay at each spot?
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:22 am

that is a BLOODY big tent for two people.

Kel and I have Caribee Challenge 4 (no longer available) which is similar to the Kestral 4 but with a vestibule area out the front.

We take a queen size double height inflatable materess and there is still heaps of room to move around the bed in the tent and we keep our clothes in the vestibule area out the front.

We find even with a tent that size it is often difficult to find a suitable area to camp with an area large enough to fit the tent.

Seriously concider the size of the camping sites your likely to setup at before committing to such a large tent. Also think of the time it takes to setup and pack up a tent - particularly large dome tents.

Personally if going for that size tent I'd be looking more towards a cabin style tent than a dome / tunnel tent.

I think a smaller tent and a seperate tarp / sun room setup would be better suited as you dont want to be sitting in your tent during the heat of the day, you dont want to be cooking in it and you dont want to be trapped in it if its raining.

Edit:
I know a couple of freind who have bought large tents for in case freinds come camping with them - good idea in theory. BUT most of my freinds have their own tents. Most of the time Kel and I go camping alone. And when camping I'd preffer not to have someone sleeping on top of me so to speak - particularly if they are someone who snores!
My advice get a tent that doesnt take too long to setup and pack up. doesnt take up too much site space that you can comfortably stand up in and if you want to accomodate freinds buy a second smaller tent for them (You can get a fairly decent dome for ocassional use off fleebay cheap enough)
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby SUNDOWNER » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:28 pm

Hi garbage & Komodo

Thanks for the replies, we would probably be only doing 2 to 3 night weekends away approx 4 times per year with probably a 2 week family holiday somewhere in the middle.

The extra space sounds a good idea but comes with the hassle of erecting so dont know which way to jump, i was looking at a decent sized one today it was a Coleman Timbertop, had decent sized rear bedroom and decent sized front area, if you know the Coleman Timbertop then let me know your views.

Cheers

Tony
SUNDOWNER
Boy Scout

Postby Troyk » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:00 pm

xx
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

great tents!!

Postby Frilly » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:52 pm

Hey Tony!!

I swear by the Coleman tents... not sure on the Timbertop, seen them at camp stores set up and it's just too big for me. I have two Colemans. An Overlander 6CV and Travellor 3CV. Both tents I can erect and dismantle myself and I'm a girl!!!! So the Timbertop will be great for the two of you and your growing family. As everyone here always says... PRACTICE at home as much as you can! Makes it all soo much easier when you're at your campsite and concentrating on where your littlies are. Plus if you get to the site late and its getting dark you know what you are doing... hope to hear how your first camp goes.

Tammy
Frilly
Camping Veteran

Postby garbage » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:22 pm

Not sure how much you're wanting to spend, but as you've mentioned a few 2-3 night stays and a boat that can double as storage, I'd go for a tent that's quick to set up and pack away (these are usually bulkier when packed away). There's a few in this area ranging from a $300-400 Oztrail Tourer centre pole tents to the $600-700 Blackwolf Turbo's right up to the $800-1000 OzTent 30 second tent.

We do similar trips to what you're planning and have a 3m x 3m centre pole canvas tent (COI Leisure Tornado). Hammer in the 4 pegs on the corners, put in the centre pole and you're done. Sturdier than dome/polyester tents both in bad weather and in longevity and can sleep 4 in comfort with space for luggage.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Return to Gear Guide